PhD/NP to MD??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genung

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a PhD in Psych and an NP and at age 48 am considering MD.
Have heard Canadian NP to MD program.

Any info or leads much appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Go for it Dr. A!! Dr. W here....LOL!!! Hope to talk to you soon..... :D

are you crazy? you are 48 and want to do 4 years of med school and 4 more years of residency for 8 years? you will be 56. no way. the 4 years of med and residency are HARD.

Members don't see this ad :)
genung said:
I have a PhD in Psych and an NP and at age 48 am considering MD.
Have heard Canadian NP to MD program.

Any info or leads much appreciated!!!

Hi genung, :)

I say go for it. It seems to me that you have slowly been moving in that direction for years. So what if you finish residency when you're 56 or 60; you may well still have 20 years of practice left. And even if you don't, so what, you'll be doing what you're really interested in doing during the next 8 years.
And yes, school/residency will be hard but what else is new: you've already made it through PhD psych school/residency and NP program. I also believe that you being a psychologist and a nurse practitioner will make you VERY competitive to MD programs (btw, don't forget about DO programs!).

The only caution I would have is if you just want full scope of practice and believe that you can't have that as a PhD/NP but only as an MD. Things are changing and in many states nurse practitioners have full independent/full formulary scope and of course, psychologists are also moving in that direction. So, if all you want is full scope and are ok with moving then I would suggest consideration of an alternative to the MD/DO route.

BUT, if your self-concept has evolved to seeing yourself most professionally fulfilled as a psychiatrist physician, then again I suggest that you don't let anyone dissuade you from that MD/DO path. :thumbup:

sasevan said:
Hi genung, :)

I say go for it. It seems to me that you have slowly been moving in that direction for years. So what if you finish residency when you're 56 or 60; you may well still have 20 years of practice left. And even if you don't, so what, you'll be doing what you're really interested in doing during the next 8 years.
And yes, school/residency will be hard but what else is new: you've already made it through PhD psych school/residency and NP program. I also believe that you being a psychologist and a nurse practitioner will make you VERY competitive to MD programs (btw, don't forget about DO programs!).

The only caution I would have is if you just want full scope of practice and believe that you can't have that as a PhD/NP but only as an MD. Things are changing and in many states nurse practitioners have full independent/full formulary scope and of course, psychologists are also moving in that direction. So, if all you want is full scope and are ok with moving then I would suggest consideration of an alternative to the MD/DO route.

BUT, if your self-concept has evolved to seeing yourself most professionally fulfilled as a psychiatrist physician, then again I suggest that you don't let anyone dissuade you from that MD/DO path. :thumbup:

Thanks for the encouragement!!!
Yes, I want to expand scope of practice a bit,
but mostly expand knowledge base a lot.

I'm not sure if this is a serious question, but if it is, I strongly discourage you. You're a PhD -- you know your psych. You're an NP -- you can prescribe meds. Why exactly would you pay money instead of earn money to study a body of knowledge only peripherally (in med school) related to what you want to do? What are you looking for?

biers6 said:
I'm not sure if this is a serious question, but if it is, I strongly discourage you. You're a PhD -- you know your psych. You're an NP -- you can prescribe meds. Why exactly would you pay money instead of earn money to study a body of knowledge only peripherally (in med school) related to what you want to do? What are you looking for?

Yes, this is a serious question...

In California, hospital regulatory restrictions limit prescribing on acute psych units to MDs. On M/S, critical and ED units I consult and prescribe with no limitations. My pvt. practice is limited to psych assessments and psych Rxs. My passion and strengths are psych emergency and acutely psychotic pts. The only way to work inpt. psych in CA seems to be as an MD. Additionally, I just want to know more....

genung said:
Yes, this is a serious question...

In California, hospital regulatory restrictions limit prescribing on acute psych units to MDs. On M/S, critical and ED units I consult and prescribe with no limitations. My pvt. practice is limited to psych assessments and psych Rxs. My passion and strengths are psych emergency and acutely psychotic pts. The only way to work inpt. psych in CA seems to be as an MD. Additionally, I just want to know more....

Think you just answered your question.

Why don't you just try to work for the Dept. of Corrections? Lots of jobs available in CA. I'm sure that your qualifications would be more than acceptable, since your background is both psych and NP. You'd see lots of patients who are similar to the patients from inpatient units, lots of co-morbid medical problems, and you'd be able to hone your skills pretty well, learn new things, interact with and learn from more senior boarded psychiatrists, the environment and learning experience wouldn't theoretically be that different from a post medical school psych. residency experience in an acute inpt. psych. on a county hospital unit, plus you get the additional bonus re. forensic psych. exposure, etc...

Of course, if your goal was really to get the MD and subsequent private practice combining inpt. and outpt....this wouldn't be the road. But since you mentioned you want to learn more about psychosis and experience acute inpatient work...I really think Corrections would be a pretty comparable "shortcut" for you...The money wouldn't be bad either, from what I hear, although it goes by scales, so you might have a different scale on the PhD track vs. the NP vs. the MD tracks... Benefits are good...you could learn (fulfill your knowledge thirst, get additional interesting experiences, AND have a good retirement package too.)

PsychMD said:
Why don't you just try to work for the Dept. of Corrections? Lots of jobs available in CA. I'm sure that your qualifications would be more than acceptable, since your background is both psych and NP. You'd see lots of patients who are similar to the patients from inpatient units, lots of co-morbid medical problems, and you'd be able to hone your skills pretty well, learn new things, interact with and learn from more senior boarded psychiatrists, the environment and learning experience wouldn't theoretically be that different from a post medical school psych. residency experience in an acute inpt. psych. on a county hospital unit, plus you get the additional bonus re. forensic psych. exposure, etc...

Of course, if your goal was really to get the MD and subsequent private practice combining inpt. and outpt....this wouldn't be the road. But since you mentioned you want to learn more about psychosis and experience acute inpatient work...I really think Corrections would be a pretty comparable "shortcut" for you...The money wouldn't be bad either, from what I hear, although it goes by scales, so you might have a different scale on the PhD track vs. the NP vs. the MD tracks... Benefits are good...you could learn (fulfill your knowledge thirst, get additional interesting experiences, AND have a good retirement package too.)

I agree with everything that you write.
I did work in corrections for five years in Northern California with some high profile inmates who now sit on death row. I am glad for the experience, but it was draining and being inside a no-hostage facility when it goes on lock down a few times told me it was time to get out.

I am trying to find an MD program that will accept an older student, potentially give me a bit of academic credit for what I do know and guide me to learn enough to get a great psych residency in the US.

Any leads or suggestions welcomed....

genung,

I suggest you check-out the older pre-meds website as well as the non-trad forum on this one.

Also, www.NonTraditionalMedicalStudent.com

I've also heard of possibilities at George Washington.

And I know of a 50+ year old 3rd year med student at the University of Miami.

Keep us posted on your progress.

P.S. Despite the aparent abscence of DOs in your area, I would discuss with MDs out there whether you being a DO rather than an MD would in fact significantly limit your career.