PhD offer advice needed!!! (Non-Clinical Academic Psychology)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vavel7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hallo,

I have some serious concerns on the place where I should select to have my PhD. I've decided that I want to work in the academia and I have a quite clear vision on what I want to do during my PhD...(it's the "where" that troubles me)!

The reason is that I have a backgound in psychology (BSc Psycholgy, MSc Occupational Psychology) and I'd like as an academic to work in the research area of positive organisational psychology/behaviour (and specifically flourishing organisations and institutions in different sectors)...

I'm holding an offer to study for a PhD in Education at the Warwick Institute of Education (School leadership & Policy research unit) examing teachers' work-engagement, positive psychological capital & retention. WIE is one of the best research environments in UK for my specific research (with a supervisor with similar research interests involved in research in various types of organisations beyong the educational sector) but I do have some concerns on my future academic career development after finishing this course. I don't want to be "dragged" in educational research by no means!!

Most of the organisational/occupational psychologists that work in the academia have pursued their PhDs in Management/Organisational Behaviour or Psychology etc or have also gained chartership as occupational psychologists....

I do hold an offer also from Southampton university for a PhD in Management (with a well-known in his area academic as supervisor with the same research interests) in order to carry out the same research proposal adapted to a different occupational group (& as a result not carrying out the exact same project that I've visualised). Do you think that it would be more wise to prefer their offer over Warwick's or just prefer the research environment where I could do my PhD research more efficiently?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Knowing nothing else, I'd say go to Southampton. You're unlikely to do the exact work you're envisioning in either case, and it obviates the possibility of getting dragged into the realm of educational research. You can always use your experiences on the project and apply them to future work on the occupational group you actually want to study.

That said, I know exactly nothing about the UK system, so take this with a heaping spoonful of salt :D