PhD Pharmacoeconomics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biotechie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Many schools have started a program like this: USC, UFL, U Maryland, Michigan, U Illinois, etc.

These programs are administered through the faculty of pharmacy. Classes are taken from many departments. Now, I am Canadian, received admission to U of Toronto for this program. Also received admission to U Maryland to their Pharmaceutical health Services Research program, specializing in pharmacoeconomics. How good of a school is Maryland? How reputable is their faculty of Pharmacy?

My potential supervisor at Maryland has 78 publications, while the sup at U of T has 11. Maryland has a structured program, with required classes in many areas: econ, epid, stats, etc...while U of T has no structure, basically supervisor decides what classes you take.

The stipend at Maryland is 21k, U of T is 12K.

need some advice...

Members don't see this ad.

How good of a school is Maryland? How reputable is their faculty of Pharmacy?

My potential supervisor at Maryland has 78 publications, while the sup at U of T has 11. Maryland has a structured program, with required classes in many areas: econ, epid, stats, etc...while U of T has no structure, basically supervisor decides what classes you take.

The stipend at Maryland is 21k, U of T is 12K.

Maryland is a well-respected university in general, and the pharmacy school is one of its strongest elements. US$21k is a *huge* graduate stipend, and living in Baltimore should be much cheaper than living in Toronto (though Toronto has other benefits relative to Baltimore in terms of quality of life for many people). There is a large push to establish a "biotech corridor" in the Baltimore area, and also relatively easy access to pharmaceutical companies, a train ride or about 3 hours' drive away in New Jersey. Based on your description of the program, it sounds like Maryland might be better that UofT in terms of curricular strength and organization. But ultimately you have to figure out how you work best, whether you like more structure vs. more flexibility, whether you're looking for a job in the U.S. or Canada or elsewhere upon graduation, how you feel about both locations, etc.

Thats exactyy the problem - I dont know where I want to end up...

Thread cross posted in Topics in Healthcare and therefore closing. You can follow thead in other forum and post if you desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.