PhD/PharmD Combo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheChemist

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What advantage does this degree combination give you versus just a straight PhD? What do people do with this degree combination do?
 
?

Advantages? The variability in quality of PhDs is high so it is harder to generalize about them. The absolute smartest people I have ever met where PhDs (or PhDs/MDs), but there are some lackluster PhDs out there too. With the PharmD there's a more uniform minimum standard.

I'd say you could look at the combo in one of two ways: Either it represents a perseverant, detail-oriented, literature searching PharmD who gives a pretty good oral presentation. Or, a clinically-minded, broad picture aware, sharp PhD (I think pharmacisty demands "sharpness" – quick thinking multitaskers, as opposed to a plodding genius). I'd use as many of those words above as possible on a job interview.

What do people with that combo do? I'm a PhD/RPh (BS only) so if you figure it out please let me know. Currently, I want to get into regulatory in a pharm company, mostly because I know that those jobs are filled by PharmDs or PhDs, so I think my dual-training will be helpful there.

However, I also found (from internet job searches) that most of the jobs in regulatory for PhDs require 3, 5, 15+ years experience. I have none, so I just started a temp job in medical communications at a big pharm company. So far I've been very happy.
 
I worked with a PharmD PhD who worked for Rite Aid!! 😱

I never got around to asking him what the HECK he was doing there.

I too would like to know more about opportunities.as I have been considering this option. What can I say....I love PAIN! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Having a pharmD and PhD and just being a retail pharmacists is my fear about the dual degree. That is why I think I'm moving away from the idea. It may be more practical to do a residency or fellowship afterwards. It seems like the dual degree may be just an easier way to get into academia vs a PhD or PharmD alone.
 
I'm also considering a PharmD/PhD. A pharmacist that I know thinks it is a crazy idea. Her advice was just to do a fellowship once I finish the PharmD. However, I've looked at a few fellowship programs, and basically it looks like you'll end up doing two or three years of research for very little money. I figure if I'm going to do three years of research for a graduate student-level salary, I may as well get the extra credentials at the end.
 
There's some truth to that but keep in mind two things.

A typical graduate program pays 20-25k/year. A fellowship will pay at least 10k/year more.

Most graduate programs last 5.5 years (5-7). Although people do it faster sometimes I wouldn't count on it. You need to be smart, hard-working AND lucky.