TheChemist

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2005
N California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
What advantage does this degree combination give you versus just a straight PhD? What do people do with this degree combination do?

canggar

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
?

Advantages? The variability in quality of PhDs is high so it is harder to generalize about them. The absolute smartest people I have ever met where PhDs (or PhDs/MDs), but there are some lackluster PhDs out there too. With the PharmD there's a more uniform minimum standard.

I'd say you could look at the combo in one of two ways: Either it represents a perseverant, detail-oriented, literature searching PharmD who gives a pretty good oral presentation. Or, a clinically-minded, broad picture aware, sharp PhD (I think pharmacisty demands "sharpness" – quick thinking multitaskers, as opposed to a plodding genius). I'd use as many of those words above as possible on a job interview.

What do people with that combo do? I'm a PhD/RPh (BS only) so if you figure it out please let me know. Currently, I want to get into regulatory in a pharm company, mostly because I know that those jobs are filled by PharmDs or PhDs, so I think my dual-training will be helpful there.

However, I also found (from internet job searches) that most of the jobs in regulatory for PhDs require 3, 5, 15+ years experience. I have none, so I just started a temp job in medical communications at a big pharm company. So far I've been very happy.

Pharmer Homer

PharmD Wannabe
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I worked with a PharmD PhD who worked for Rite Aid!! :eek:

I never got around to asking him what the HECK he was doing there.

I too would like to know more about opportunities.as I have been considering this option. What can I say....I love PAIN! :)

About the Ads

TheChemist

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2005
N California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Having a pharmD and PhD and just being a retail pharmacists is my fear about the dual degree. That is why I think I'm moving away from the idea. It may be more practical to do a residency or fellowship afterwards. It seems like the dual degree may be just an easier way to get into academia vs a PhD or PharmD alone.

phxprepharm

10+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I'm also considering a PharmD/PhD. A pharmacist that I know thinks it is a crazy idea. Her advice was just to do a fellowship once I finish the PharmD. However, I've looked at a few fellowship programs, and basically it looks like you'll end up doing two or three years of research for very little money. I figure if I'm going to do three years of research for a graduate student-level salary, I may as well get the extra credentials at the end.

canggar

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
There's some truth to that but keep in mind two things.

A typical graduate program pays 20-25k/year. A fellowship will pay at least 10k/year more.

Most graduate programs last 5.5 years (5-7). Although people do it faster sometimes I wouldn't count on it. You need to be smart, hard-working AND lucky.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.