PhD programs to select on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uniqenam

MSTP c/o 20??
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched for this, but I haven't really found anything related. Anyway, I'm not sure what field I want to do my graduate work in, and I have some rather broad interests; is it bad to "check the boxes" of almost every single field of graduate study on the AMCAS apps? Really the only ones I'm not interested are medical physics, humanities, and epi. Also, is this looked down on for MD/PhD apps in general if I really don't know what field I'm interested in for MD/PhD? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

The sole reason for those boxes, as far as I'm aware, is to help programs find faculty whose interests mesh with your own for you to meet with during your interview. It's not that important, and I think the programs more use the research essay and your secondary, but it doesn't help them narrow it down if you check most of the boxes.

I'd select a few fields that you are most interested in or have worked in in the past. Just don't stress about it too much.

The sole reason for those boxes, as far as I'm aware, is to help programs find faculty whose interests mesh with your own for you to meet with during your interview. It's not that important, and I think the programs more use the research essay and your secondary, but it doesn't help them narrow it down if you check most of the boxes.

I'd select a few fields that you are most interested in or have worked in in the past. Just don't stress about it too much.

Great, thanks for the response. I wasn't sure if that would seem cheesy like "I'm interested in everything just give me a spot", but that makes sense (matching w/ a faculty).

I suggest picking a field(s) that you feel comfortable talking to potential mentors in during an interview. You will be placed with faculty interviewers based on your choice and your research essay.