PhD supervisor leaving academia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blonderoast

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out this past week that my PhD supervisor will be leaving academia at the end of this academic year. There aren't other professors in my program that focus on the same area of research, though I'm only in my 2nd year and wouldn't be opposed to shifting my focus. Luckily I'll continue to be funded, so financially things should be fine. What kinds of questions would you ask your department/supervisor if you were in this situation?

My department is not yet aware that this is happening, and my supervisor has requested that I not tell the program head until they get the chance to do so (which could take weeks, apparently?!). I'm pretty freaked out, and not sure if the best option is to switch supervisors here or transfer programs (...or reapply, what a nightmare). I love the program I'm currently in, and would be happy to continue here if it was possible. I would love any advice you all have about questions to ask, things to consider, or how this type of situation has played out with people you know.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry you're having to go through this. This happened to me twice. I'd be happy to chat with you about it if you would like to PM me. Your privacy settings won't allow me to message you directly.
Geez, how did it happen to you twice?

Wow. Sometimes people move to other programs when this happens, but it’s usually to follow their current mentor to their new institution. Since your mentor is leaving the game altogether, the path of least resistance is to choose another supervisor within your department, especially if you’re open to going another direction with your research.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This happened to me when I was working towards my Master’s. Ultimately, the new advisor I wound up with was a much better fit. I realize it is not exactly the same; I did research and work closely with both. I finished my capstone project with my second advisor. Now would probably be a good time to ask your current mentor what they recommend for you, and begin to consider what other faculty members may work for you.

This happened to peers in my program when two faculty left at the same time for other institutions (and for different reasons). They each took one advisee with them but had to leave other advisees behind. Those folks were assigned by the other faculty to another faculty member, and life went on. It was frustrating for the advisees left behind on an emotional level, but on a practical level it didn’t really affect anything program-wise.

Last edited:
I also know someone who’s advisor passed away and was switched to a new faculty member. I don’t think this is so uncommon that programs wouldn’t have some kind of plan in place. I can’t imagine you’d have to leave if you really don’t mind switching research focus.

Good luck!

Additionally, it depends on some factors, but sometimes you can keep your research focus with a new advisor. Sometimes it is allowed to bring on a consultant in your area, if available, to serve as a committee member and as an advisory role. Just depends on willingness and resources. Or, you can stay in your general research area and try to incorporate some aspects of a new advisors area. There can be lots of options if you are creative and faculty are willing, usually not a binary choice.

Reactions: 1 user
This happened to me several times. I would suggest asking your advisor about departmental politics. In some departments who is friends with who on the faculty side matters more than what specifically you're researching, if you new advisor is unofficially persona non grata that can be a real barrier.

Thanks for all the advice! The idea of using an outside researcher as a consultant was especially helpful; there's a researcher at an academic medical center nearby who would be a perfect fit, so potentially he could supervise or advise me on some of my projects. It's also helpful to know that this has happened to other people and they've survived the experience. I'm hoping that the transition will go smoothly, and I'm a little excited at the prospect of finding a mentor who might be a better fit in terms of advising style.

On the downside, my current mentor might be taking all of the equipment I need and funding for my thesis with them, but I can't imagine they'd use the equipment outside of a research context... fingers crossed...