PhD through affiliate universities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Repo Man

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings, folks. So I'm an Exercise Science major finishing up my junior year, and I'm thinking about med schools to apply to. I really want to continue my studies in Exercise Science after graduation, so I've been thinking about an MD/PhD program. From what I've seen on most program webpages, though, is that the graduate studies are offered through the med schools themselves. Does anyone know if med schools will allow you to pursue your PhD through the graduate department of their affiliated university? I've heard from the people at UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School that they will allow graduate studies through Rutgers University for the MD/PhD program, but sadly, Rutgers doesn't have a grad program in exercise science.

Anybody know in particular about schools like Baylor, U of Florida, UTexas, or others?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll take Baylor and UT:

Baylor Medical School in Houston, TX is not affiliated with Baylor College in Waco, TX.

UT is a large conglomerate of different campuses. You could probably get away with doing a PhD at another campus in the same city, but probably not at another city.

At UT Houston, you could do your PhD at MD Anderson Center in Houston. Depending on the program you might be able to do it at Rice too.

At UT Southwestern, you could probably get away with doing some part of your PhD at UT Dallas or UT Arlington - but you might need a co-advisor who actually is UTSW faculty.

There currently is no MD/PhD program at the main UT campus at Austin.

I think you need to find an MD/PhD program at a large, all-encompassing campus.

On another note, there are many fields that are related to exercise science that are more generally available, such as physiology or cell biology.

The University of Iowa has an exercise science program and an MSTP.

Thank you all. I'll be sure to look into those schools and confirm with them that this option would be allowed. And hawkeey, yes I did consider pursuing MSTP through physiology, so that is also an option, but I'd prefer that to be the backup.