PhD vs. Psy.D. vs. MA vs. LCSW vs. SW vs. MFCC vs. BA vs. NP vs. X...X...X...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In this thread, all the insults, name calling, opinionated correct opinions, overly sensitive accepted quips and other such comments can be conveniently contained within one manageable forum.

PsiSci, feel free to delete it if you feel you must. I wouldn't blame you one bit.

Here. I'll start the ball rolling.

With the market forces dictating lowering pay scales for doctoral level psychologists, what will the competition be for prestigious and/or well-paying research/clinical jobs when master's level psychologists obtain full testing and assessment rights?

Members don't see this ad.

Anasazi23 said:
With the market forces dictating lowering pay scales for doctoral level psychologists, what will the competition be for prestigious and/or well-paying research/clinical jobs when master's level psychologists obtain full testing and assessment rights?

Eh. With poorer salaries the market will self-correct. As always the people who do well are the people that can adapt to the changing market. I have believed for over a year now that psychology as we knew it in the 80s and 90s is dead.

New psychologists need to understand medicine, forensics, and team playing -- meaning integration into primary care.

That said, the bickering, name calling, and elitism on this board are perfect. To me it exemplifies what psychology has done to itself. We deserve what we get.

Paendrag said:
Do you really think masters level psychologists will obtain full assessment rights? I, of course, hope not.

For the sake of clinical psychology as we know it, I hope this does not happen as well. However, given everyone's demands at increased scope of practice whilst bypassing the appropriate rigorous training, I believe it's inevitable. No congressman or lawmaker wants to be the one that "voted down access to mental health care" when the bill floats over their desk.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may be right in theory anasazi, but I think master's level anything is a thing of the past, especially in psychology. Most states have never recognized MA psychologists, and are unlikely to change now. Like medicine, the doctorate is the least education/training we should allow to be independently responsible for another's life.

;)

Paendrag,

Your professional school bashing is boring and tiring. I agree that professional schools have some issues to deal with, but you paint everyone with a broad brush when you say what you do. These people are your colleagues. Many are deserving of respect.