PhD w/ PharmD (not in pharmacology)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hereticmnk

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really didnt know where to put this topic in. I am a pharmacy student taking summer research classes right now at a university (not where I go to pharmacy school). I am really interested in genetics and one of the faculties there who is in charge of admissions says I can easily get into the doctrate program they offer there for genetics. Now with the advent of a whole new field of pharmacogenomics I thought it wouldn't be such a bad idea after my Pharm D. Any thoughts on this ?
Any other degrees that go well with the PharmD would also be appreciated. I am not interested in MBA, probably a doctrate degree in something would be good. Any wierd combinations are fine, I am still in the process of deciding what to do after my PharmD.
Thank you 🙂
 
Why do you want to get a PhD? What are your feelings on pharmacy?

I'm hopefully getting my PhD in molecular biology at the end of this summer, and then I'm starting pharmacy school in the Fall. I'm leaving research because it really isn't for me (it drives me nuts when my experiments don't work, which is about 90% of the time).

There are some people who have both degrees, but usually they do research.
 
If you really love research, go for it. It will be a big paycut (PhD student vs. practicing pharmacist), big commitment/sacrifice, but if it is what you love go for it.

Other doc. degree combos? PhD in Pharm. Admin. or something like that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the answers. I do like pharmacy, I just thought genetics would go really well with it since thats where its at nowadays with pharmacy (My teachers wont shut up about pharmacogenomics and how it will help titrate Warafarin initial dose with a simple thousand dollar gene test as opposed to the extremely cheaper crapshute method). I am not a big fan of buisness administration and was thinking more along the lines of research. To FarscapeGirl, why do a PhD in molecular biology, does it go well with the PharmD. I think a PharmD will make you kinda like a jack of all trades. You cant really do any research unless you have a PhD in pharmacology which some pharmacy schools offer as dual degrees.
 
You cant really do any research unless you have a PhD in pharmacology which some pharmacy schools offer as dual degrees.

Correction: You can't really do basic science (lab) research without a PhD in any one of the pharmaceutical sciences (not just pharmacology), but a pharmD can do clinical research easily after a couple years of residency and/or fellowship.
 
Correction: You can't really do basic science (lab) research without a PhD in any one of the pharmaceutical sciences (not just pharmacology), but a pharmD can do clinical research easily after a couple years of residency and/or fellowship.

Also false...
 
This is a patently false assertion, FYI.

This lady seems to do just fine.

http://faculty.mdanderson.org/Judith_Smith/Default.asp?SNID=985207420

I mean she did do some post grad cliinical training. She went to the post doctrate clinical pharmacology research program which allows you to do some research with two years of schooling. I think it doesnt give you a PhD. She cant do any research (lab work) with her PharmD alone and I dont mean clinical trials. I know a couple pharmacist who co-ordinate thoser.