PhDs in Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Molly Maquire

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know Path is an attractive field for MD/PhD students because of its marriage of basic science and clinical. Does anyone know of any residency programs that will allow you to obtain a PhD while in residency? It seems like there would be a great deal of synergy between the two programs.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Good question Molly.

I have no idea for sure, but my guess would be not likely. Due to funding issues programs want you to get your training and get out in the 4 years. This is all they are funded for so adding 2 or more years to your training to get your PhD is years they will be paying you and not getting that funding money.

This is why getting a PhD during med school is fine by them because they are not paying you.

I could be totally wrong on this so check it out by contacting residency directors to make sure. Maybe there are some programs that value the work of PhD students enough to allow such a thing.

One of my fellow residents did get a Masters in Health Care Admin. during her residency. But she did it mostly during here spare time and worked liked crazy. She said in hindsight she would not have done it.

Hope this helps.