Phi Beta Kappa and Updates to Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspiring Doc 1527

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I recently got an email that I was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa, and I am currently in the application cycle now. I applied to 15 schools, interviewed at 2 so far, and out of those 2 I am waitlisted at one and on hold at the other. What are your thoughts on when to send update letters to schools/ is Phi Beta Kappa something worth mentioning in this type of letter?

Members don't see this ad.

It is worth being part of an update. I am not so sure it should be the only thing in your update.
I'd speak more definitely and say that it absolutely should not be the only component of an update. Your GPA already speaks for itself. Official recognition of GPA and well-rounded educational pursuits will not make or break your application. I'd certainly want you to include it as part of a general Fall Update Letter though.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd speak more definitely and say that it absolutely should not be the only component of an update. Your GPA already speaks for itself. Official recognition of GPA and well-rounded educational pursuits will not make or break your application. I'd certainly want you to include it as part of a general Fall Update Letter though.

At my undergrad, Phi Beta Kappa signifies your class rank - top 10% for seniors who receive it; top 3% for juniors who receive it. My undergrad doesn't otherwise rank students by GPA. I suspect this is true for Phi Beta Kappa chapters at many other universities as well.

Doesn't class ranking tell medical school ad coms something useful that a raw GPA doesn't?

At my undergrad, Phi Beta Kappa signifies your class rank - top 10% for seniors who receive it; top 3% for juniors who receive it. My undergrad doesn't otherwise rank students by GPA. I suspect this is true for Phi Beta Kappa chapters at many other universities as well.

Doesn't class ranking tell medical school ad coms something useful that a raw GPA doesn't?

Perhaps, but how PBK is decided varies school to school, so without outright saying what PBK means, it just implies general academic excellence, which your application I'm sure already shows. As gonnif and Catalystik have mentioned above, it would be great to include as part of an update, but wouldn't really contribute much (or anything) by itself.

Reactions: 1 users
Perhaps, but how PBK is decided varies school to school, so without outright saying what PBK means, it just implies general academic excellence, which your application I'm sure already shows. As gonnif and Catalystik have mentioned above, it would be great to include as part of an update, but wouldn't really contribute much (or anything) by itself.

I didn't mean to imply I've received PBK. I still have a shot so we'll see but not yet as of now.

I've read/heard that PBK generally signifies top 10% of the class at many/most/all undergraduate institutions if awarded as a senior but I can't prove that.

I didn't mean to imply I've received PBK. I still have a shot so we'll see but not yet as of now.

I've read/heard that PBK generally signifies top 10% of the class at many/most/all undergraduate institutions if awarded as a senior but I can't prove that.

It varies school to school, as do the non-academic requirements.

Reactions: 1 user