Phi Sigma Pi?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AimToDrMom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a U1 Biomedical Sciences major (speaking from my mother's account!). I am hoping to apply to MD and DO medical schools.

I recently got accepted into Phi Sigma Pi at my college (an honors co-ed frat) and was wondering if the time and money is worth it? Is this recognized at med schools?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I agree 50% with the post above. You pay a membership fee for these societies and in return you get a nice little certificate and the adulation that you are part of something exclusive.

I am a member of PTK and PBK and those two honor societies are noted on my transcripts and they have more than paid for themselves with scholarship money. I actually got a scholarship from PTK for med school which is interesting.

I don't think the honor itself will "impress" a medical school admissions team per se but that's because those types of honors represent academic accomplishments that most people already have whether they choose to accept the honors or not.

I'd join the honor society. You earned it, you have one life so fill it up with as many accomplishments as you can. Look at it this way, it's a positive thing that can only help you.

Now if this particular society has a significant time commitment attached to it, that's something that I'd think about whether it is worth it or not.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a frat and depending on how 'involved' your chapter is then it can be a huge time commitment. Also, any leadership position will also bring an additional time commitment outside of regular membership commitments. I was in it at my school. Huge waste of time and resources in my opinion. Not once was I asked about it in an interview and I held multiple leadership positions in it. Although, I did meet a ton of my friends through it, so I can't say it was all bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I joined Golden Key in undergrad - my university had a very active chapter.

I personally think it was worth it, but to each their own. Joining or not joining is extremely unlikely to make a direct impact on whether or not you get into medical school.

As others have mentioned, scholarships and unique volunteer opportunities are one reason to consider honor societies.

Thank you for the prompt replies everyone! Another thing I should have mentioned is that the dues at almost $200 for the first year and then $100 every year after.

Thank you for the prompt replies everyone! Another thing I should have mentioned is that the dues at almost $200 for the first year and then $100 every year after.

Wow, I don't know if that is worth it then unless you are getting some type of significant scholarship money in return. Those dues sound more like a tax.