Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

Started by DOthreads
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Letters went out yesterday 4/30...dont know if they were for the people who already received email acceptances or if everyone who was delayed is hearing back so check the snail mail the next few days and good luck everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In regards for the secondary fee waiver, I saw on previous years' threads that people need to call in and get their name 'checked' off of the fee waiver list that they receive. I remember calling in about this and believe I got checked off as having the waiver.
My question is in the App Fee columns, I do not see anything under all 3 Received, Note, and Status column. Does this mean that my app was not complete?
 
This whole emailing a few people and making others wait for mail really frustrates me. 12 weeks later and I still have no idea where I'm going.

I had similar feelings as well regarding PCOM. I was fortunate to have other acceptances by Jan/Feb, so PCOM wasn't a high priority for me later in the cycle. I had not heard anything from them in weeks, only to get an email with a poorly copied acceptance letter that I could barely read. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but if this was my last resort/decision I was waiting on I think I would have been very stressed out.
 
Does anybody know how admissions to the MPH program through Temple works? I have read that you apply after first year, but I am curious about the competitiveness of admissions. Do we need to obtain letters of recommendation from our undergrad years for admissions? Also, how will doing an MPH effect the amount of time a student has to study for boards or impact any other aspects of our medical training? I have a lot of interest in health care policy, but I do not want to do anything that will negatively effect my medical training. I am glad we have an entire year before a decision needs to be made. Thanks!
 
I'm hoping the waitlist moves quickly. I plan on sending an updated transcript for a class I just finished and writing a letter of intent ASAP.
 
I'm hoping the waitlist moves quickly. I plan on sending an updated transcript for a class I just finished and writing a letter of intent ASAP.
I didn't even get the waitlist mail yet, so this wait is just a nightmare. Am I waitlisted? am I accepted? Hopefully something comes in on monday so, at the very least, I know.
 
Since there were a few people who were accepted via email, I would prefer not to get a letter in my mailbox this week. It will probably not be positive.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They probably have over 200 on the wait list. It will depend on how many of us withdraw from the class so I am sure it varies every year.
 
Just wanted to check in and say I haven't received any mail yet. I live on long island. I called and admissions reassured me that every letter was sent out by the latest April 30th. I'm assuming that anyone who got an acceptance got an email so that the deposit could be made asap. Would just really like to get this over with as the whole process has begun to seem inconsiderate to the applicants.
 
Has anyone else not heard anything at all? I'm waiting on a delayed decision; interviewed 1/14, notified 1/23. I am OOS but assumed that any letter would have arrived by now.
 
Has anyone else not heard anything at all? I'm waiting on a delayed decision; interviewed 1/14, notified 1/23. I am OOS but assumed that any letter would have arrived by now.

I also haven't heard anything after my delayed decision. Anyone know when they meet next?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who had to confirm your spot on the waitlist, there wasn't any email verification that they received your form back right? I'm just being paranoid and thought I'd double check
 
For those who had to confirm your spot on the waitlist, there wasn't any email verification that they received your form back right? I'm just being paranoid and thought I'd double check
No email and the form said don't call. Guess we just have to have faith
 
I didn't realize this until today, but apparently tomorrow is the May 15th deadline where AACOM reports to all osteopathic schools where each candidate has put down a deposit and is holding a seat. Unlike the AAMC, AACOM doesn't require applicants to only hold one seat after tomorrow, but it's interesting nonetheless that PCOM will soon know how many seats people are holding!
 
I was on hold. Interviewed in February and they held me for grades. Got the grades to them and they were good enough to get in.
I am assuming that hold is the same lingo for delayed decision. For all of those watching this site, the only movement I can see is those on delayed decision as of now. I do not think there is any movement on the waitlist. What do you think futurexray?
 
I am assuming that hold is the same lingo for delayed decision. For all of those watching this site, the only movement I can see is those on delayed decision as of now. I do not think there is any movement on the waitlist. What do you think futurexray?
With interviews being over my friend is not in the office much any more. I think all delayed decisions are going to be wait listed soon or outright denied. May 15 did not seem to have the movement everyone expected. Looks like the people are happy with going to PCOM and are not changing their minds right now.
 
Being on SDN was so beneficial to me in applying to Med schools, getting advice etc. I made connections with a lot of good people who I know will make excellent doctors. I hope those who did not get in this cycle, will not be discouraged. I know many practicing doctors who had to do the reapplication over. I think reapplying could slant some benefits at times. Did you apply broadly, more experience, better MCAT or taking an MBS like I had to in order to improve my stats. To all of you...........I wish you good luck. Many will pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start over pronto. Many have and will walk in your shoes. On a side note.................I have heard that seats became available at the very last moment, in fact the day before classes started. Unusual, but it can happen but in the meantime................keep planning for the next cycle. Reapply instantly when the new cycle begins. The big question in some interviews will be "How did you improve your application from last year's" I heard that said to many when I had my interview in a group setting. Something to think about! Just my two cents!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With interviews being over my friend is not in the office much any more. I think all delayed decisions are going to be wait listed soon or outright denied. May 15 did not seem to have the movement everyone expected. Looks like the people are happy with going to PCOM and are not changing their minds right now.
I hope for my sake you are wrong (no offense). [emoji17]
 
Being on SDN was so beneficial to me in applying to Med schools, getting advice etc. I made connections with a lot of good people who I know will make excellent doctors. I hope those who did not get in this cycle, will not be discouraged. I know many practicing doctors who had to do the reapplication over. I think reapplying could slant some benefits at times. Did you apply broadly, more experience, better MCAT or taking an MBS like I had to in order to improve my stats. To all of you...........I wish you good luck. Many will pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start over pronto. Many have and will walk in your shoes. On a side note.................I have heard that seats became available at the very last moment, in fact the day before classes started. Unusual, but it can happen but in the meantime................keep planning for the next cycle. Reapply instantly when the new cycle begins. The big question in some interviews will be "How did you improve your application from last year's" I heard that said to many when I had my interview in a group setting. Something to think about! Just my two cents!

It's a little premature for this type of statement though it may have come from a good place. Let's keep HOPE alive for those you can't change their status to 'accepted' yet.
 
Being on SDN was so beneficial to me in applying to Med schools, getting advice etc. I made connections with a lot of good people who I know will make excellent doctors. I hope those who did not get in this cycle, will not be discouraged. I know many practicing doctors who had to do the reapplication over. I think reapplying could slant some benefits at times. Did you apply broadly, more experience, better MCAT or taking an MBS like I had to in order to improve my stats. To all of you...........I wish you good luck. Many will pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start over pronto. Many have and will walk in your shoes. On a side note.................I have heard that seats became available at the very last moment, in fact the day before classes started. Unusual, but it can happen but in the meantime................keep planning for the next cycle. Reapply instantly when the new cycle begins. The big question in some interviews will be "How did you improve your application from last year's" I heard that said to many when I had my interview in a group setting. Something to think about! Just my two cents!

I know this post comes from a good place, but I honestly found being on SDN during applications to be awful exactly because of these posts. I hated constantly measuring myself against other people in the application cycle when things were not going well for me. It caused a ton of anxiety. I ended up pretty much staying clear of SDN until I received my first acceptance for this reason.
 
With interviews being over my friend is not in the office much any more. I think all delayed decisions are going to be wait listed soon or outright denied. May 15 did not seem to have the movement everyone expected. Looks like the people are happy with going to PCOM and are not changing their minds right now.

People were accepted all the way through July last year and it's not even June. Do you know anyone in the committee? Just curious where you got this information from.
 
I know this post comes from a good place, but I honestly found being on SDN during applications to be awful exactly because of these posts. I hated constantly measuring myself against other people in the application cycle when things were not going well for me. It caused a ton of anxiety. I ended up pretty much staying clear of SDN until I received my first acceptance for this reason.
As much as numbers play a part in admissions, there's no use in comparing yourself to other applicants- that's something I found out a long time ago! You are unique and your story is unique, and have faith that the committee sees you that way too.