Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have the secondary prompt from last application cycle?

I would like to pre-write my secondary

Would my MCAT score from July of 2014 be considered too old for admissions? I was planning on applying this cycle with my current score (33) and then updating schools with my new score from the test I take in December.

From PCOM website:
  • Official exam scores from the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Prospective students are urged to take the test as early as possible and no later than September of the year prior to matriculation. For those who are submitting an updated test score, a January test date will be accepted. The MCAT must be taken within three years of the desired date of matriculation. For 2017 enrollment, exams taken before August 2014 will not be accepted to complete an applicant record.

Top choice school. Good luck to everyone applying!

Does anyone know when secondaries are normally sent out?

Just submitted. This school is probably a reach for me based on my stats but hopefully my early app helps me out.

For the Letters of Rec requirement, I know it says on the PCOM website to have the course number and title stated in the letter. However, I just came across this because wasn't sure about applying here but I already have all of my letters on Interfolio. So, my question is, are they that strict at PCOM about having the course number and name stated in each specific letter written by a faculty member? I waived my right to see the letters so I have no idea what is written but seeing as putting the course name and number is not a usual requirement, what should I do? I feel bad to make my letter writers have to resubmit each letter...

Any thoughts/responses would be really appreciated!

@getfat would like to hear your thought since you already submitted

Last edited:
@wahoowa2017 Not sure thats a really good question.

I haven't heard anyone have any problems without strictly telling their professor to write the course number. I think the professors taught pre-req requirements though.

My science LOR is my genetics and microbiology professor.

I'm personally going to email admissions about it and find out though.

@getfat so did you tell your letter writers to specifically include the course number and title or nah?

@wahoowa2017 Nah but I can't see what is exactly on the letter either ; but i really doubt my recommender mentioned the course number just the course.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the Letters of Rec requirement, I know it says on the PCOM website to have the course number and title stated in the letter. However, I just came across this because wasn't sure about applying here but I already have all of my letters on Interfolio. So, my question is, are they that strict at PCOM about having the course number and name stated in each specific letter written by a faculty member? I waived my right to see the letters so I have no idea what is written but seeing as putting the course name and number is not a usual requirement, what should I do? I feel bad to make my letter writers have to resubmit each letter...

Any thoughts/responses would be really appreciated!

@getfat would like to hear your thought since you already submitted

I'm in the same situation, mine are uploaded to AACOMAS :arghh::arghh:

@getfat let us know what admissions email you back! I posted in the 2015-2016 applicant thread so I'll post it here once someone replies

Reactions: 1 user
So if all your letters are through AACOMAS, what do we do? I would assume that the schools can see all the letters and pick/choose what they want to fulfill their requirements. Please advise.

This is what someone said to me in the 2015-2016 application thread:

"Mine didn't include a course number on my of my letters and I received a interview. Good luck!!"

So maybe we're okay regardless of if course numbers/titles were included in our letters?

Reactions: 1 users
But someone last cycle said their application wasn't complete because they didn't fulfil this requirement, and the admissions committee told them to change it. I am pretty sure PCOM just recently put this requirement on their website this past year because I've never seen it until now, and I've been checking the requirements page since last year when I first became interested in this school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

But someone last cycle said their application wasn't complete because they didn't fulfil this requirement, and the admissions committee told them to change it. I am pretty sure PCOM just recently put this requirement on their website this past year because I've never seen it until now, and I've been checking the requirements page since last year when I first became interested in this school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

ugh. I told my letter writer but I have no idea if they did it or not...:yeahright:

This issue doesn't apply if we have a committee letter correct? Or should every person who is on that letter have the course number next to their name?

This issue doesn't apply if we have a committee letter correct? Or should every person who is on that letter have the course number next to their name?

I don't think this applies to those who submit committee letters!

where did you hear this?
I called three of the schools I applied to and asked about secondaries because I couldn't find information online. One of them told me they screened out anyone below 500 so I started looking around and it seems to be pretty common knowledge on SDN that a decent amount of schools do this. I know RVUCOM does 100%, and seeing that PCOM is ranked really high up I would assume the same for them as well. Anyone that knows better please feel free to correct me!!

Has anyone here received a secondary?

Anybody get a secondary application from here yet? I'm still waiting to hear back

Would my MCAT score from July of 2014 be considered too old for admissions? I was planning on applying this cycle with my current score (33) and then updating schools with my new score from the test I take in December.

From PCOM website:
  • Official exam scores from the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Prospective students are urged to take the test as early as possible and no later than September of the year prior to matriculation. For those who are submitting an updated test score, a January test date will be accepted. The MCAT must be taken within three years of the desired date of matriculation. For 2017 enrollment, exams taken before August 2014 will not be accepted to complete an applicant record.

That's really close. I'd email them and ask.

They also

I've also heard that they screen at 500 unless you have some pretty incredible "extras" on your application. (i.e. EC's, LORs)
There is no pre-screening process according to the admissions website.

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Did anyone get secondaries yet? Feeling like I may have been silently rejected prescreen.

Did anyone get secondaries yet? Feeling like I may have been silently rejected prescreen.
There is no pre-screen process for PCOM. I think theyre just very, very slow in the process..currently watching this thread to see when they first start sending out secondaries this year

There is no pre-screen process for PCOM. I think theyre just very, very slow in the process..currently watching this thread to see when they first start sending out secondaries this year

I was checking out old threads for PCOM, and while some students did get secondaries in early July, there were many who received them on July 22nd and later. Seems like PCOM is just slow with the secondaries for most students.

Reactions: 1 users
We recommend typing your essay in a Word document and pasting into the field below.
  • * Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO.

This is the secondary from the 15'/16' cycle. It seems like a lot of people were upset by the limited character space and odd question though. Maybe it'll be changed. I have nothing better to do though, so I'm going to pre-write this.

"We recommend typing your essay in a Word document and pasting into the field below.
  • * Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO."

No secondary for this school yet, correct?

Agreed. Submitted and verified and no secondary as of yet.

So did anyone else get an email from PCOM just now?

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received and submitted!

Last edited:
So... LORs have to mention the specific course number/name or they don't count? How strict is PCOM on this

Secondary received for both Philly and Georgia campuses!