Philippines is better than Caribbean!

Started by narf
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

narf

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
not to be a troll 🙂 but just wanted to see what people think about it.

I'm a regular US student, I was a math major so my GPA is pretty low but decided to get in medicine just for the stability... so because of my low GPA my options are going international.

I was gung-ho and all about the Caribbean until I heard that all tuition plus all expenses(room/board/food/books) all together for all 4 years in med school in the Philippines is like $35k😱 Yes all 4 years combined! and were talking baller status.. high rises, maids, top notch food..etc

So I just went searching more into it... the second most IMGs in the USA come from Philippines.. first is India.

Schools there are all 50 state approved

Being conservative and comparing only primary care docs... which is not tough battle to get into from either Philippines or Caribbean.
Wouldn't it be wiser if you wanted to become a primary care doc to just go to the Philippines instead? Plus it is probably more enjoyable there also.
 
all these view and no comments at all??
not even a you got a point there...
or your crazy or anything???
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what are the names of these schools?
All these school are approved in all 50 states...

Angeles University Foundation College of Medicine
Bicol Christian College of Medicine
Cebu Doctors College of Medicine
Cebu Institute of Medicine
Davao Medical School Foundation
Divine Word University College of Medicine
Emilio Aguinaldo College of Medicine AKA De La Salle University College of Medicine
Far Eastern University, Dr. Nicanor Reyes Medical Foundation
Fatima College of Medicine
Iloilo Doctors College of Medicine
Lyceum Northwestern, Dr. Francisco Q. Duque Medical Foundation
Manila Central University College of Medicine
Mindanao State University College of Medicine
Philippine Muslim-Christian College of Medicine Foundation
Remedios T. Romualdez Medical Foundation
Southwestern University, Matias H. Aznar Memorial College of Medicine
St. Louis University College of Medicine
University of Perpetual Help System College of Medicine
University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Medicine and Surgery
University of the City of Manila College of Medicine
University of the East, Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center
University of the Philippines College of Medicine
University of the Visayas, Gullas College of Medicine
Virgen Milagrosa Educational Institution
West Visayas State College School of Medicine
William H. Quasha Memorial St. Luke's College of Medicine
Xavier University Dr. Jose P. Rizal College of Medicine
 
Why are there so many med schools in the Philippines? What is the population of the Philippines? Are some of these schools just diploma mills churning out students who want to come back to the US to practice?

I agree that these Caribbean schools sound expensive. However, you need to look at more than just cost. Do the Philippines' schools train you to evaluate and treat patients in a similar style to that used in the US? You want to make sure you won't "drown" if/when you come back to the US as an intern,working in a hospital taking care of real patients who you can harm/kill if you make too many mistakes. What is the passing rate for the USMLE tests for students from these schools?

Also, are your grades and MCAT too low to consider US DO schools? I've worked with multiple DO's, but I don't think with many Philippine trained docs at all, in major university med centers in the US. I do know one Filipina doc, but she is from the Philippines (not someone from the US who just decided to go over there for school).
 
I think the schools there are more legit than the Caribbean... in terms of not trying to screw you out of every penny you got...
I just would rather go the MD route than the DO... (prestige, acknowledged throughout the world, I'm not in dire need of becoming a doctor..so might as well get an MD instead)
my gpa isn't the greatest.. I'm not that dumb of a guy though... I did study math... so it is pretty tough.. all my premed classes that I'm doing now.. I'm getting A's in... but end of the day.. I don't think that there is any way to get in US schools for my MD unless I do a masters... which would take a while to get into anyways... plus thats a bunch of loan money to take out over here...since I cant work and do masters at the same time and still no guarantee acceptance to US md schools

Philippines I can do all cash.. I already have a couple of rental properties cash-flowing that will just build up more cash while I'm in the Philippines.. so I got nothing to lose regardless...
I just cant find anything bad about it... and it just doesnt make sense to me that anyone who is going to the Caribbean especially if they want to become a family doc not to go to the Philippines instead... they also accept stafford loans in some school in the Philippines, for those of you who are strapped for cash!
 
if it's about the money, you should also consider european schools. talk to DevilDoc on the ValueMD forum. he's currently going to an EU school and can attest to how affordable it is.

i dont know anything about the asian or european schools. i went to a caribbean one. but i do want to mention that, having US clinical experience is more preferable for two reasons. one is that residency programs prefer it since you're already familiar with the US system and treatments. the other reason is that you get more opportunities to do "audition rotations" where you work hard at a rotation and get to know people where you potentially could do residency.

so you might want to look into whether asian/european schools offer that. then let us know!
 
Philippine medical schools are based on the US system. You use the same books as in the US, ie, you use Washington Manual for Medical Therapeutics, physical diagnosis, pathology, physiology... as US students. You will also use US journals for journal clubs, use US treatment guidelines during your PBL sessions. The style of teaching is same as in the US. The clinical skills are same down to the way you interview patients, present your patients to attending, write your progress notes, do deliveries, assist in surgeries. Everything is taught in English. The reason for this is because the Philippines was a US commonwealth for 50~ years and so the whole educational system was reformed to US standards. The only difference is full time clerkships start in the 4th year, you do some rotations in the 3rd year but not like in the US. Also, you have to check whether you will be required to do the 5th year/internship or not.

Fatima medical school in the Philippines have US hospital affiliates, so yes, some do offer US rotations. Either way, if you do your training there, you will not have any difficulty transitioning to the hospitals here believe me. I personally go to medical school here in the US but know Filipino residents/medical students who are doing very well here.

Angeles University Foundation College of Medicine
Bicol Christian College of Medicine
Cebu Doctors College of Medicine
Cebu Institute of Medicine
Davao Medical School Foundation
Divine Word University College of Medicine - closed
De La Salle University College of Medicine
Far Eastern University, Dr. Nicanor Reyes Medical Foundation
Fatima College of Medicine
Iloilo Doctors College of Medicine
Lyceum Northwestern, Dr. Francisco Q. Duque Medical Foundation
Manila Central University College of Medicine
Mindanao State University College of Medicine
Philippine Muslim-Christian College of Medicine Foundation
Remedios T. Romualdez Medical Foundation
Southwestern University, Matias H. Aznar Memorial College of Medicine
St. Louis University College of Medicine
University of Perpetual Help System College of Medicine
University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Medicine and Surgery
University of the City of Manila College of Medicine
University of the East, Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center
University of the Philippines College of Medicine

University of the Visayas, Gullas College of Medicine
Virgen Milagrosa Educational Institution
West Visayas State College School of Medicine
William H. Quasha Memorial St. Luke's College of Medicine
Xavier University Dr. Jose P. Rizal College of Medicine

Not yet California recognized/New:
Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health
Ateneo de Zamboanga University School of Medicine
Baguio Central University
Cagayan State University
Central Philippine University College of Medicine
Emilio Aguinaldo College School of Medicine
San Beda Medical School
Silliman University Medical School
University of Saint La Salle

the bolded ones have a large alumni network here in the US
 
Last edited:
not to be a troll 🙂 but just wanted to see what people think about it.

I'm a regular US student, I was a math major so my GPA is pretty low but decided to get in medicine just for the stability... so because of my low GPA my options are going international.

I was gung-ho and all about the Caribbean until I heard that all tuition plus all expenses(room/board/food/books) all together for all 4 years in med school in the Philippines is like $35k😱 Yes all 4 years combined! and were talking baller status.. high rises, maids, top notch food..etc

So I just went searching more into it... the second most IMGs in the USA come from Philippines.. first is India.

Schools there are all 50 state approved

Being conservative and comparing only primary care docs... which is not tough battle to get into from either Philippines or Caribbean.
Wouldn't it be wiser if you wanted to become a primary care doc to just go to the Philippines instead? Plus it is probably more enjoyable there also.

I'm not surprised, the medicals in the Philippines were established long before majority of the the Caribbean schools that's why they are given far more respect.
 
lol good luck getting a residency spot... things are bad enough for IMGs, just wait a few more years by the time you graduate 🙂 nothing's worse than being an MD who has to work a sh*tty job for 40k/year that has nothing to do with medicine after investing all that time, then seeing all the DOs out there practicing medicine and making 250k/year.
 
lol good luck getting a residency spot... things are bad enough for IMGs, just wait a few more years by the time you graduate 🙂 nothing's worse than being an MD who has to work a sh*tty job for 40k/year that has nothing to do with medicine after investing all that time, then seeing all the DOs out there practicing medicine and making 250k/year.

the same thing could be said for the caribbean...but at least there wouldnt be any money wasted in the Philippines.. anything you do, there is always a risk...
not that big of a risk in this though as a perspective of an investment.. there have always been at the least family medicine spots available.. not a bad investment considering you will be making 6figures no matter what for the rest of your life
 
the same thing could be said for the caribbean...but at least there wouldnt be any money wasted in the Philippines.. anything you do, there is always a risk...
not that big of a risk in this though as a perspective of an investment.. there have always been at the least family medicine spots available.. not a bad investment considering you will be making 6figures no matter what for the rest of your life

You are right. From an investment point of view, Philipines is better. From the financial perspective, applying to centuries-old schools in Europe, India, or China would get you a bit more respect. These are established schools. In existence much longer than carib ones, so you may feel safer, because they're often government-backed, and won't go under or just grab your money. They don't teach to the USMLE. But they cover the same medical courses.