Philippines Medical School Tuition&Fees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrNee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I finished my undergraduate studies in the US and I'm looking to continue Med School in the Philippines. Researching in the internet has been quite unsucessful because of the lack of information from the school websites and the internet in general.

How much is the tuition for Med school in the Philippines? I've seen P80,000 and above, but this information is outdated from 2008. Also, what is the "international fee?" I went to school in the Philippines, came to the US to finish my last 2 years of HS and finish college as well. Would I still have to pay this fee?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Tuition here at UST med is P102,000 for first years (or, it was for the 2010-2011 school year)

The international fee applies to all non-citizens, and all graduates of foreign schools. That includes citizens who do their undergrad abroad (I have a fee classmates who did that, and they had to pay). For us it was 10,000USD. Steep, i know. But i guess in the long run it's still cheaper than going to school in the states. And as far as I know, the fee is the same or pretty close for the other med school in the area (UERM, St. Lukes)

Wow. 10,000USD ! I don't see the purpose of international fees. But yes indeed, it'll still be a lot cheaper.

P102,000, does that include all the fees (books, uniforms, labs, etc.) or that just the matriculation fee?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. 10,000USD ! I don't see the purpose of international fees. But yes indeed, it'll still be a lot cheaper.

P102,000, does that include all the fees (books, uniforms, labs, etc.) or that just the matriculation fee?

The P102,000 is per semester and it does not include books or uniforms.

Tuition ends up being around $4500 a year.

Thanks Cliffrat and frink85 for the valuable information you have shared! Now I can cross off one item on my "research med school check list." =D

At my school, its P96,000 per semester for people born in the Philippines. For people born outside of the Philippines and for graduates of non-Philippine colleges, tuition is P143,000 per semester. With two semesters per year, and with the current exchange rate, thats about $6,500 per year. Also, expect tuition increases of about P5,000 per semester.

You would have to pay that foreign fee, but it isn't totally unheard of of having people talk and persuade their way out of paying the fee. Speaking the language fluently, being born in the Philippines, and/or already knowing a faculty member would probably help you out. From what I've gathered and guessed, the foreign fee is there because Philippine medical schools are designed to produce Philippine doctors that work to further develop their country and its economy or whatnot. The fee is a kind of "Thank you for making me a doctor, but I will probably leave the country right after I graduate." Also, remember that these schools are businesses in a developing country: if foreign students are willing to pay the fee, schools are willing to charge the fee.

Lab fees are included in the tuition. Uniforms cost about $16 per set. Books here are all paperback reprints designed for the Philippines and I'm paying $20-$50 per textbook. Rent where I am varies from $40 to $200 a month, depending on a variety of things: security, locked gates, the quality and appearance of the living space, the neighborhood, whether or not you want roommates, air conditioning, and all that jazz. I'm paying about $40 per month for internet, online speed tests say its 100kbps download/300kpbs upload. A full tank of gas for my car is about $20. I don't cook, and I spend about $1.20 on breakfasts, about $2.00 on lunches, and $3.00 on dinners. The malls out here have more American type food at American prices.

At my school, and many others, classes begin the first or second week of June. So if you haven't already taken the NMAT test (the admittance test for Philippine medical school), been called in to interview, and all that, you might have to wait an entire year to enroll. I don't mean to offend them, but the schools out here apparently don't know how to post information like this on their websites, and so you would have to call the school or personally visit their offices in order to find out what week the school year starts and how to begin applying for the school.

My goodness, that $10,000 UST foreign fee is pretty high; but then again, the school is nice to look at. I remember how much it reminded me of Harry Potter and Hogwarts when I first went to visit UST.

Dear Friends, Can someone provide me with the informations regarding RESIDENCY in Philippines. Your help will be highly appreciated. If possible please e-mail me on [email protected].
Thanks

Tuition here at UST med is P102,000 for first years (or, it was for the 2010-2011 school year)

The international fee applies to all non-citizens, and all graduates of foreign schools. That includes citizens who do their undergrad abroad (I have a fee classmates who did that, and they had to pay). For us it was 10,000USD. Steep, i know. But i guess in the long run it's still cheaper than going to school in the states. And as far as I know, the fee is the same or pretty close for the other med school in the area (UERM, St. Lukes)

I agree with you about the tuition being so much cheaper than going to school in the states. This is one of the main reasons why I decided to study abroad.

How about the clinical skills? How are the Philippines med schools by that respect? Say for instance how would you rate them, in comparison to US med schools, over 100 points?

Or lets do it over theoreticals and clinicals.. how is your assessment? And I wouldnt say nay for additional info :love:

Where do you plan to practice after medical school in the Philippines? What countries? Only in the Philippines?

Can I email someone and ask questions that has gone to medical school in the Philippines?