Philly is a strange town....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm driving down Broad Street to get to Dave & Buster's. i think I passed 7 Rite Aids in about 5 miles of road. That's some market domination. So anyway....I learned that Jefferson will be opening a new pharmacy school. And how did I find out? I'm crusing down the street behind a public bus and I read the advertisement on the back: "Get your pharmacy education rolling!" Then there was a red round tablet underneath that.....then underneath that it read, "Jefferson University School of Pharmacy: opening Fall 2008."

I'm not really sure what that means, but I thought it was hilarious that they were advertising their new school on the back of a damn SEPTA bus. Haha.

Members don't see this ad.

really? that's pretty weak...

i interviewed at the school and it's an AMAZING institution! they have their own freaking hospital! haha.

Well....I can guarantee you that any top pharmacy school would be attached in some way to a hospital. If you want good clinicians on your faculty, you need to give them patients to deal with. It's how they work.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm driving down Broad Street to get to Dave & Buster's. i think I passed 7 Rite Aids in about 5 miles of road. That's some market domination. So anyway....I learned that Jefferson will be opening a new pharmacy school. And how did I find out? I'm crusing down the street behind a public bus and I read the advertisement on the back: "Get your pharmacy education rolling!" Then there was a red round tablet underneath that.....then underneath that it read, "Jefferson University School of Pharmacy: opening Fall 2008."

I'm not really sure what that means, but I thought it was hilarious that they were advertising their new school on the back of a damn SEPTA bus. Haha.
It just seems like they're desperate! For what, I'm not sure. Maybe they need the application fees. Campus recruiting is one thing, but that just seems like a bad strategy.

This may just be my narrow-mindedness, but I would never apply to pharmacy school that did direct advertising. I guess they can't indirectly advertise. To do Operation Diabetes at a local mall nearest you, they would need pharmacy students.

theres a million Rite aid's because since they bought out Eckerd, they decided that it would be best to just turn every Eckerd into a Rite aid, you know, to capitalize on all profit available. Hence why here, we have two Rite aids sharing the exact same corner. Though oddly enough, they tend to carry different things.

And yeah...im not sure about going to a school that thinks a great advertisement location is the back of a bus. But hey, it beats it being in a bathroom or something, gotta give them credit there.

haha, probably some misdirected marketing person decided to put that there.

But hey... apparently the ad worked. If you saw it, came on here, posted about Jefferson opening a PS...then the advertising worked :thumbup:

Every major educational institution (Jefferson, Temple, Penn, Drexel) advertise their programs on public transit, and on the sides/back of SEPTA buses. This is nothing unusual.

There's a stretch of corridor in Suburban Station that is practically wall-to-wall advertisements for HUP. Again, this is pretty normal.

I keep hearing ads for Pepperdine's MBA program on the radio, complete with classical music and everything.

The ad was a waste of money though, the PharmCAS e-mail was sufficient in generating interest among applicants.

Every major educational institution (Jefferson, Temple, Penn, Drexel) advertise their programs on public transit, and on the sides/back of SEPTA buses. This is nothing unusual.

There's a stretch of corridor in Suburban Station that is practically wall-to-wall advertisements for HUP. Again, this is pretty normal.

Which further supports my claim that Philly is a strange town.

haha, probably some misdirected marketing person decided to put that there.

But hey... apparently the ad worked. If you saw it, came on here, posted about Jefferson opening a PS...then the advertising worked :thumbup:

I'm not sure if it would work on the people that they are trying to reach. I was only interested because there was a tablet on the back and I was trying to figure out what it was. That's nerdism right there.

Which further supports my claim that Philly is a strange town.
Its just a concentrated marketing scheme. New York has similar but they vary by industries because NYC has more money to be spread around. The hospital in philly are VERY competitive about marketing.

Plus whenever a new "school" is opened up in philly you will see it everywhere. Although I find it amusing that they concentrate it in the market area when they most likely want to target applicants outside of their market base :idea: I know they're trying to steal some of the market from USP, UPenn, and Temple.

That said, philly is strange (I always liked it), but some damn good cheesesteaks. :love:

yeah, USP just started spending money on the stupidest advertisements. there's this one on back of septa buses, it has weird made up words like "pharmacistudent" and then at the bottom it just says usp.edu
pfsh, i hate how they're spending part of my tuition on this crap

yeah, USP just started spending money on the stupidest advertisements. there's this one on back of septa buses, it has weird made up words like "pharmacistudent" and then at the bottom it just says usp.edu
pfsh, i hate how they're spending part of my tuition on this crap

Haha....I saw it today. Huge black background with the above in a plain font....and the web address of the school underneath that. What a waste. I laughed when I saw it.

Another question. I noticed there is a yellow-signed Chinese food restraunt literally every block or two down every street in Philadelphia. And every damn one of them is packed. I was driving up Broad at 3AM and they still had people in each and every damn one (I'm talking 30 restraunts in a 9 mile stretch of road) was bumpin'. How the hell does that **** work? Where do these people come from to sustain so many Chinese joints? It's boggles the mind.

High immigrant population spreading from center city chinatown. Also, south philly (which I'm guessing is where you were at b/c if you were on north broad - god bless you!) has a lot of shift workers. Also remember, just because people there doesn't mean they were customers. Every joint I know had at least a few people working (for safety reasons - usually family members). I mean if they were packed with people maybe it was the underground mafia throwing parties! Philly's picky about their chinese food, if its not just right, they find another joint.

I miss good chinese food. You can't get anything but crap around here. I also miss good pizza. And good cheesesteaks.