Philly/NYC programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyngirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
NJ, NY and PHL programs are riddled with malignancy and you really have to dig around to get answers as most residents are afraid to talk and tell the truth.

Good luck:)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I'm a rising 4th year preparing to apply for ob/gyn residency. I would like to be in NYC or Philadelphia because of family and my husband's job. Any advice about programs in either city would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Just to echo certain sentiments. Some of the NY programs are pretty malignant.

Albert Einstein in the Bronx:
-Their PD, a british guy in REI (forgot his name is stepping down after a bunch of years to be head of the overall residency committee for the Albert Einstein med center. The new replacement is someone inhouse.
-Fairly well developed academic institution.
-Pretty solid for fellowships and they offer a couple of them I believe
- Large resident class 8 or so plus a prelim intern. At my interview there were talks of expanding this so they might be even larger.
-Busy service.
-I got the feeling it was somewhat malignant but not overly so. Residents worked hard but felt they were trained well.

Bronx Lebanon:
-Seemed like a little slice of hell to be perfectly honest.
-A combined PD/Chair (Mikhail, I think)
-We were introduced to only one resident the entire interview day. Bad sign
-Residents were overworked and disliked the patient population
-Nursing staff seemed less than helpful.
-Old facilities.
-Just seemed depressing.
-One of the interviewers was very weird and kept telling me how shady the residency match process was and how spots are promised ahead of time via connections (physician friends etc). She went on to say how I needed to tell the PD that I wanted to 'prematch' even though this is a match violation. Very bizarre.
-FMG heavy

Long Island Jewish Hospital
North Shore University Hospital

-They are two separate programs but are under the same hospital system I believe and even have the same chairman, MFM Dr. Fleisher.
-Some rumor of them combining in the future but nothing concrete as of yet.
-Decent community programs.
-One of the programs offers a fellowship in MFM.
-Some ability to do fellowship if desired. Not a lock but a motivated resident will have a good chance.

Newark Beth Israel in New Jersey
-Pretty malignant place.
-Hospital is surrounded by pretty sh*tty neighborhoods.
-I think it's a combined PD/CHair system. An older MFM guy. Poor dude is overworked and overstressed.
-Residents are overworked and overly busy.
-Filled with FMGs. If you're a decent US graduate, don't even bother applying to be honest.

Robert Wood Johnson in Jersey
-MFM department was gutted and their MFM people left at once apparently. Not much details were given. Regardless, their MFM fellowship is inactive currently because of it.
-REI department is one of the busiest if not the busiest in the country. They might be starting a fellowship for REI due to their crazy volume from what I remember. Might be a good place if you're set on REI.
-Solid Onc department with a number of attendings.
-Some resident turnover but they seemed happy in general. Did meet with a lot of them.

I'd be careful with the NY programs. The smaller ones are pretty malignant and overly stressful. The nursing staff quality in NY is pretty terrible as well. Residents were routinely doing their own blood draws etc. This was even at AECOM as well as the others listed.

Oatcell - I think if you make a blanket statement like that, then you should break it down like another poster did. How many of these programs did you interview with? Are you making these comments from personal knowledge.

If you are interested in a particular program, then you should consider doing an away elective with that program. Every program has their positive and negative attributes. You are not going to find the perfect program, and not every resident is going to be happy all the time. You want to go to a program where you will get excellent training and where you know that when you leave in 4 years, you will have the job or fellowship that you want. I have residents who said they were miserable when they were here and they now look back and appreciate what they had. Did they work hard, damn right they did, but it paid off for them in the end.

I'm just visiting your board, and saw this thread. I'm an anesthesiologist who trained at Maimonides. I stayed for the OB Anesthesia fellowship.

They have a separate program director and chair. The chairman is Howard Minkoff, and the program director is Carmen Llopiz-Valle. The program director seemed like she was very interested in improving things. The residents work very hard, but them seem to like it overall.

But things change, and I may be getting a biased view being from the outside. I would say apply there and talk to the residents during the interview. You may like it.