Philly prgms.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the following residency prgms. in Philly?
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn Hospital
U. Penn
Temple

Please feel free to comment on others, but these are the ones I have applied to.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking for the same info ... only found an old thread talking about them ... think if you did a keyword search you might find something !!

For lack of enough days in a month I am having to choose between places but I think its interesting how many of the Philly programs have coinciding interview dates ... wonder if they do it on purpose :)

I was looking for the same info ... only found an old thread talking about them ... think if you did a keyword search you might find something !!

For lack of enough days in a month I am having to choose between places but I think its interesting how many of the Philly programs have coinciding interview dates ... wonder if they do it on purpose :)

yeah i found some old threads on the topic but most are relatively dated info by now. yeah, i am having to make some tough decisions about dates lately.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've heard that the malpractice environment in philly is pretty harsh.... one of the attendings i worked with said it was not unusual for residents to finish their training with 2 - 3 malpractice suits filed against them already.

can anybody confirm or deny?

All of the Philadelphia programs are different. There are 4 University programs. The rest are considered community type programs. Only two of the programs have fellowships, UPENN has four and Jeff has one. Some of the programs do have some dates close together on purpose to make interviewing easier for those interested in being in Philadelphia. Do not let malpractice be an issue. Residents are named in cases initially, but most of the time, their names are dropped off. You should not let malpractice influence your decision on deciding a residency program. You need to decide where you want to get the best training, not worry about malpractice.

All of the Philadelphia programs are different. There are 4 University programs. The rest are considered community type programs. Only two of the programs have fellowships, UPENN has four and Jeff has one. Some of the programs do have some dates close together on purpose to make interviewing easier for those interested in being in Philadelphia. Do not let malpractice be an issue. Residents are named in cases initially, but most of the time, their names are dropped off. You should not let malpractice influence your decision on deciding a residency program. You need to decide where you want to get the best training, not worry about malpractice.

Is Pennsy considered university or community? I've heard excellent things about Pennsy's program, and I believe that they offer some fellowships. (Might be wrong, though). Could you please clarify? Thanks SO MUCH for your help and input!

Pennsylvania Hospital is considered a community hospital, they do not have fellowships. UPENN is the university program with 4 fellowships, MFM, REI, Urogyn and Gyn Oncology. There are many applicants that confuse the two institutions. They are under the same health system but are two separate programs.

FWIW, Pennsylvania Hospital is in a fantastic neighborhood for Philly, especially if you're single. It's historical and surrounded by "trinity" rowhouses ala Georgetown or Beacon Hill, and very central to everything in Center City. You could easily rent an apartment within close (no more than 5-10 minutes) walking distance and not need a car at all. Unfortunately there's no peds residency or I'd definitely apply. :(