Philosophy major considering switching majors for research purposes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rat888

Reaction score
I am currently a pre-med Phil major, and met up with one of my profs to talk about doing summer research. He asked me what major I am and said that it was already very competitive, and therefore highly unlikely to get a research position with him because they also prioritize students from the major.

I am in the earlier stages of college and can graduate in the same time with both bio / chem and philosophy. I enjoy all of the subjects. I would prefer to major in Phil and continue taking premed prereqs, but I am wondering if it is worth it to major in bio / chem primarily to be able to do more research. How heavily will research experience, or lack thereof, impact my application? So much so that it would be worth switching?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not do research in the social sciences or humanities?

Why not do research in the social sciences or humanities?
I was really naive about this and heard that Phil undergrads almost never get published, and Phil papers are rarely coauthored, so I just assumed it was pretty much out of the question. I completely forgot that you can just do a senior thesis for example. Feel somewhat dumb. Thanks for the (correct) suggestion!

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s one Professor. Nobody can bat 1000, and even guys like Mike Trout fail to get on base more often than not. You talked to one professor. I went to a research powerhouse where profs basically beg undergrads to do research and still had to ask over 15 profs before successfully joining a lab.

Philosophy is cool and would give you something interesting to talk about at interviews and MMIs.

I am currently a pre-med Phil major, and met up with one of my profs to talk about doing summer research. He asked me what major I am and said that it was already very competitive, and therefore highly unlikely to get a research position with him because they also prioritize students from the major.

I am in the earlier stages of college and can graduate in the same time with both bio / chem and philosophy. I enjoy all of the subjects. I would prefer to major in Phil and continue taking premed prereqs, but I am wondering if it is worth it to major in bio / chem primarily to be able to do more research. How heavily will research experience, or lack thereof, impact my application? So much so that it would be worth switching?
1. MD school-research powerhouses and MD/PhD MSTP programs want (expect to see) evidence of meaningful research experience from applicants. Otherwise, many medical schools are not particularly fixated on undergraduate research. For that reason, and depending on your specific list of MD schools, your undergraduate science research experience (or lack thereof) may not be particularly important at this stage in your academic trajectory. Besides, you will be able to gain plenty of meaningful research experience (and potential publications) after you are admitted to medical school (MS1-MS4 years).

2. On the other hand, if you truly enjoy biochem, and you do very well in your biochem courses (earn "A" letter grades), you could add biochem as a major, or as a minor. Not surprisingly, a collection of "A" letter grade science courses will add a positive punch to your sGPA. thereby increasing your competitiveness as a pre-med student. Biochem is also covered on the MCAT - so knowledge of that subject matter could increase your MCAT, too.

3. Yes, you will often be looked at more favorably as an applicant for a "science lab research position" if you are a biochem major (or a biochem minor) because many science research labs are investigating hypotheses that rely on the scientific method. As a science major, it is assumed that you are becoming more familiar with the scientific method, than a non-science major. In general, there are more science research opportunities for "science majors" than for non-science majors. It just is.

No matter what you decide to do ... sending the best of success to you!

Reactions: 2 users
I was a philosophy major and had to apply to a handful of labs before I got accepted to one. I don't think this singular experience is worth changing your entire major.