Phils Student Visa questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LocutusofBorg

Asklepian Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully there is someone here who is not a filipino citizen and has been through the process... Here's my issue: I am trying to decide whether to get my visa here in the US, or in the Philippines. Both run the risk of my never even getting the visa in time to begin classes. I somehow need to find a way to get it done before June 12th.

Factors against doing the visa in the consulate in the USA:
1) I received the Letter of Acceptance only a week ago. I still don't have the CEA in my possession.
2) Apparently, even my health form needs to be notarized. I'll need to find a new doctor who works with a notary public. If I were doing it in the Filippines, I'd just need to pay a visit to the National Quarantine Center.
3) Because of 1 and 2, it is unlikely that I'll have the necessary paperwork to submit my application before May 31st. Is this enough time? If I apply here, I have to bet that they will process everything by June 12th. If not, I will no longer have possession of most documents I need to even start applying in the Philippines.

Factors against doing the visa in the Department of Foreign Affairs in the Philippines:

1) on the phone they strongly encouraged me to do it in the USA.
2) They told me that they don't really talk to students, only school administrators. That means I'll be at the mercy of the staff at my school's admission office.
3) What if there is more paperwork that needs to be done at the foreign post??

I guess my questions are:
1) Which option gives me the least chance of not being able to start class June 12th
2) Has anyone experienced either student visa acquisition route -- Filipino or Foreign post
3) Honestly, at this stage, given that my earliest date for applying for a student visa in the US is May 31st, and earliest day of applying for a student visa in Philippines is June 4th, what are my realistic chances of starting class on the 12th?

--LocutusOfBorg
P.S. My Epitaph:
Passed the premeds, aced the NMATs, killed by the bureaucracy.

Members don't see this ad.

Are your parents filipino? You can get dual citizenship.

I went to the Philippine Consulate here in SF and they told me that they do not issue student visas here anymore and that it has to be done in the Philippines.

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureMDdude - lets compare notes. What did they tell you to bring to the Philippines to process your student visa? For me I have to bring authenticated police report, transcript, statement of financial support, and doctor's report (or get the anal probe at National Quarantine Center in Phils). I also should bring my NOA, CEA, and obvious ID type stuff.

Am I missing anything? Where did your consulate tell you to go with all that stuff when you get to Phils? Do you give it to your school or some office?

Thanks!

And no, I dont have any filipino in me....

I think you'll have to apply for your student visa through your university (check their webby). And you definitely need to get that done before June 12 because that's my birthday:D (sad that I had to mention this). Jokes aside, it's a national holiday plus the fact that school usually starts before then unless this has changed since I last studied there. When are you heading there? May is already halfway through... Although they may still let you enroll sans visa as long as it's under process.

... and oh, it's spelled Philippines.

I've been in school for the past 2 years here and still don't have a student Visa. The school is supposed to take care of it for me... and I suppose someday they will. I understand getting all the forms is a pain in the ass.

LocutusofBorg - I had went to DLSU this past February and they gave me a document with these requirements for converting a tourist visa to a student visa:

1. Written endorsement from the school for the conversion of applicant's status to student on the school's official stationary signed by the school's Registrar and stamped with school's official dry seal;

2. Original copy of the Notice of Acceptance (NOA) containing a clear impression of the school's official dry seal;

3. Original copy of the Certificate of Eligibility for Admission (CEA) issued by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) for Medicine and Dentistry students;

4. Proof of adequate financial support to cover expenses for the student's accommodation and subsistence, as well as school dues and other incidental expenses;

5. Scholastic records duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post located in the student's country of origin or legal residence;

6. Police Clearance Certificate issued by the National Police Authorities in the student's country of origin or residence duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post having consular jurisdiction over the place for student who resided in the Philippines less than 59 days.

...and I confirmed with the Consulate and they said to just go to the Philippines as if you were just visiting, bring these documents, and then you can change your visa status to a student visa. You have 20 or so days to do so, and this can be extended if you need more time. If you end up residing in the Philippines longer than 59 days, then they have a few more requirements such as a medical exam and something else I forget. And I believe this is all taken care at Immigration. My transcripts and the police clearance were the only things that the Consulate authenticated for me.

I've been in school for the past 2 years here and still don't have a student Visa. The school is supposed to take care of it for me... and I suppose someday they will. I understand getting all the forms is a pain in the ass.

that's how "fast" everything is down there. alright not everything but everything that needs processing.