Phlebotomy tech. vs Nursing assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolasmommy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you do to gain more clinical exposure?
Here's the deal I earned my BA last Dec. (biology) and Im having the hardest time getting into any medical based jobs (I am currently applying to be a biology teacher at many highschools) so I figured if I get my certification in either of the above I could hold a part time position doing either while teaching. So the question is which would give me the best experience with patients? The phlebotomy courses are in the evenings which are excellent times while the nursing courses are in the morning at bad times. I need advice soon... the nursing assistant courses start on the 28th of APRIL! PLease comment!:D (please be friendly if possible)

Members don't see this ad.

I was a phleb for a year before med school. I've been able to use the skills from that a lot in med school -- free clinics and residents trusting me more with putting in IVs. I think drawing blood is a good skill to have, you may have a chance to learn it well in med school depending on the school.

I've got no idea what's involved in being a nurses assistant. Are they the ones that check vitals on patients?

I was a phleb for a year before med school. I've been able to use the skills from that a lot in med school -- free clinics and residents trusting me more with putting in IVs. I think drawing blood is a good skill to have, you may have a chance to learn it well in med school depending on the school.

I've got no idea what's involved in being a nurses assistant. Are they the ones that check vitals on patients?

Thanks for the advice I just want to be sure that I get real patient exposure as opposed to the desk jobs and paper work that Ive been stuck doing at clinics because I only have a biology degree!

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes a nurse assistant checks patient’s vitals as well as other things. I’m going to train as a PCT (patient care tech) which is very similar to a NA although I think they do more.
The lady interviewing me for the position told me I would do vitals, some procedures (I’m not sure what they are yet), take samples (blood) and help the patient with every day activities that they can’t do on their own (such as feeding) so I think that’s what a NA would do or along those lines. I know you'll get a lot of patient contact.
I’ll be able to tell you after May, when my training ends.

I work as a phlebotomy tech at a hospital. You will definitely get clinical experience, but it will be pretty much the same thing all the time. On the other hand, you will get very good at blood draws. The NA's that I know take vitals, move patients, help patients do anything they can't do themselves and the like. Some can do blood draws, but they don't in my hospital. Also NA's typically have the same set of patients throughout the shift, whereas at least in my phlebotomy job we rotate around the hospital all day. So if you want to learn a valuable skill, but only do that go, phlebotomy. If you want some variety in your workday and/or more continuity of care go NA.

Yes a nurse assistant checks patient’s vitals as well as other things. I’m going to train as a PCT (patient care tech) which is very similar to a NA although I think they do more.
The lady interviewing me for the position told me I would do vitals, some procedures (I’m not sure what they are yet), take samples (blood) and help the patient with every day activities that they can’t do on their own (such as feeding) so I think that’s what a NA would do or along those lines. I know you'll get a lot of patient contact.
I’ll be able to tell you after May, when my training ends.

I work as a phlebotomy tech at a hospital. You will definitely get clinical experience, but it will be pretty much the same thing all the time. On the other hand, you will get very good at blood draws. The NA's that I know take vitals, move patients, help patients do anything they can't do themselves and the like. Some can do blood draws, but they don't in my hospital. Also NA's typically have the same set of patients throughout the shift, whereas at least in my phlebotomy job we rotate around the hospital all day. So if you want to learn a valuable skill, but only do that go, phlebotomy. If you want some variety in your workday and/or more continuity of care go NA.

That stuff that NA's do makes sense.

The stuff I really liked as a phleb, was being able to go into the ER at times, and all over the hospital. We had to cover the hospital because mine didn't have NA's to do draws.

I also enjoyed the lab-type stuff. When I was the "processor," I'd cover the ER, then get the specimen to different parts of the lab and plate cultures, do gram stains, etc. I liked that the most. However, the ER was fun, especially when it got busy and I could hang out there (I didn't like the nursery or the floor with all the chronic patients with bad veins).

Do you need to be certified to get a job as a Phlebotomist? I've seen some openings but their only requirement is really a HS diploma; so I'm wondering if some places teach/train you? Btw, how long was the Phlebotomy certification course?

Do you need to be certified to get a job as a Phlebotomist? I've seen some openings but their only requirement is really a HS diploma; so I'm wondering if some places teach/train you? Btw, how long was the Phlebotomy certification course?

You need to take a phlebotomy course, which is really simple and community colleges usally offer them. Assuming that all hospitals experience a shortage of techs like that of the hospital I work at, you might get hired and then the hospital will enroll you in a certification course before you begin working

It's not a requirement at all places. I wasn't certified; I had on the job training. I think a lot of places pay more to those who are certified (that's what happened where I worked).