Phobias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Animal related: probably just cockroaches. I've been known to see one, and run screaming.

Non-animal related: The feeling of velvet...actually the feeling of a lot of things, like chalk, and other stuff that I don't even know the name of but if they are put against my skin I freak out! I get immediate goosebumps and usually have to throw out or hide whatever the object is so I don't have to deal with it lol. I once bought sandals that had a horrible material on the bottom and I wore them once and had to get rid of them because I would spaz out whenever I put them on!

I worked with a vet tech completely terrified of the feel of cotton. She would run away screaming if someone tried to touch her with a cotton ball. Whenever she had to open a new bottle of pills, I had to remove the cotton for her. So silly, but to her..it was completely real.

Is anyone else afraid of being near large bodies of water at night? I can't get too close to the water at night on the beach. It gives me the chills..

Members don't see this ad.

I worked with a vet tech completely terrified of the feel of cotton. She would run away screaming if someone tried to touch her with a cotton ball. Whenever she had to open a new bottle of pills, I had to remove the cotton for her. So silly, but to her..it was completely real.

Is anyone else afraid of being near large bodies of water at night? I can't get too close to the water at night on the beach. It gives me the chills..

1. I HATE the feel of cotton!!! Hate hate hate it! I won't run away screaming, but you won't find me touching it without gloves...ever. Same goes for chalk.

2. I used to be afraid of the ocean at night...until I went on a class trip to Belize. We snorkeled at night! It was pitch black except for the ostracod mating display --- bioluminescent sperm anyone? :D Thousands of bright green packets of sperm literally lit up the water. TMF.

I have to add pink roller skates to my list. Strangely enough, this dates to an incident in 2000, when I thought roller skates were kind of obsolete...

Lakes in any manner or form definitely do not make my list. I grew up on a lake and figured out how to swim in water over my head when I was 2. I don't think my poor mother ever really recovered from that summer...

Members don't see this ad :)
Animal Related: Basically, anything that goes "crunch" when you step on it..ewww

Animals:
Have to agree with you on crunchy bugs. I spent a lot of time in my Father's pharmacy in Manhattan when I was young, and hated going to the basement and accidentally stepping on one of those crunchy waterbugs. The cat he kept to keep away mice used to turn the bugs over on their backs and they were often like that in the morning when we came in. Still makes me shudder. I have no problems with non-crunchy bugs/insects though.

Non-animals:
Tsunami/Tidal Wave. Been having dreams/nightmares about tidal waves since before I can remember.

Animal-related: Dogs. Yeah. Tell me all about it.

It's not severe, as far as phobias go. I can deal with it. I can definitely handle it well enough to get through vet school, before specializing in something that does not involve dogs (or going off to do zoo med, which I'm seriously considering).

I'm even okay with most large breeds and large mutts; once I've made positive first-contact with the dog, I'm fine. But I have a real problem with small dogs; I don't trust them not to bite. And there are some larger breeds that make me very uneasy--Rotties, Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Akitas, Huskies, Rhodesian Ridgebacks--which is kind of crazy because my kid sister and BIL have a Dobie and a pibble, and they're wonderful dogs.

Other: Clowns. Mimes. People in mascot costumes or fursuits. MF'ing furries.

I'm not sure I'd call it a phobia, because I don't have a desire to flee from them. But they do bring up an intense, visceral response, and my first impulse is to attack. (It's also my second, third, and fourth impulse.)

Get me too close to a clown, and it takes a conscious act of will for me to not cause him bodily injury. I joke about it--"If one insists on dressing like a pinata, they should expect to be treated accordingly"--but it's a very powerful desire.

As for furries, I didn't even know what they were the first time I saw some nerdy kid wearing pointy fox-like ears and a tail on campus; all I knew was that every time I saw him walking between classes I wanted to go punch him in the face. He wore the damned things every day, too, so eventually I started taking alternate routes to avoid him.

Animals:
Have to agree with you on crunchy bugs. I spent a lot of time in my Father's pharmacy in Manhattan when I was young, and hated going to the basement and accidentally stepping on one of those crunchy waterbugs. The cat he kept to keep away mice used to turn the bugs over on their backs and they were often like that in the morning when we came in. Still makes me shudder.
Oh man, waterbugs in NY are by far, the largest bugs I have ever seen! I could never get myself to kill one because I felt like I was killing a mouse.

Animals: Leeches

Oh Barf, especially the kind in Asia/Australia that fall out of trees and vegetation and cannot be avoided simply by not swimming

Non Animal: Running out of oxygen

Strange I know but translates into intense fear of scuba diving, spelunking (sp?), submarines and space exploration :laugh:

Oh man, waterbugs in NY are by far, the largest bugs I have ever seen! I could never get myself to kill one because I felt like I was killing a mouse.

And then cleaning up the mess was no fun either. They oozed everywhere.

By the way, for cultural enrichment purposes......they love to live in paper piles. There used to be 100s of them living in the shopping bags that were piled up. Would have to "shake them out" every once in a while. Really makes me think when people put food in shopping bags.

Animals:
I felt like I was killing a mouse.

I know this is off topic...just reminded me of something that happened in 6th grade. My teacher (who was super mean and intimidating) caught a mouse in our classroom, and he put the mouse in a book and slammed it closed! This was in front of the whole class. It was very disturbing

Animal related: ringworm and sarcoptic mange

Non-animal related: human blood and vomit; drains, especially dirty, rusty ones

Members don't see this ad :)
Animal Related: Ferrets, which are like some kind of terrible hybrid of snakes and rats. Ticks, a phobia which began when I picked up a tick from a dog at the end of a shift at work and didn't discover it until the next morning. It was on the back of my arm and I saw it in the mirror when I was brushing my teeth. I then proceeded to run around the house screaming and frantically shaking my arm for a good fifteen minutes before I finally had the presence of mind to realize there were probably more productive ways to get the thing off of me.

Non Animal Related: Wrong numbers. When I make a call I have to check the number approximately a million times before pressing the send button to make sure its correct, and I have a really really hard time answering any phone call where I don't recognize the number because it just might be a wrong number.

Non-animal related: The feeling of velvet...actually the feeling of a lot of things, like chalk, and other stuff that I don't even know the name of but if they are put against my skin I freak out!
Man I forgot about this! I have that same thing. I loathe the feel of cotton, velvet, and chalk. I have to use tweezers when opening a new bottle of pills at the clinic. Cotton and chalk really get me, to the point of difficulty in breathing. I hate that stuff with a passion.

I'm also terrified of pool grates and filters. Especially the filters at the bottom of the pool with the caps on them... and when you have your head underwater you can hear this weird sucking sound... yeah. No way. And I grew up with a pool too, so it's not like a novel thing, it's just creepy.

I'm also terrified of pool grates and filters. Especially the filters at the bottom of the pool with the caps on them... and when you have your head underwater you can hear this weird sucking sound... yeah. No way. And I grew up with a pool too, so it's not like a novel thing, it's just creepy.

Ohh yeah!!!

Haha I am sure there are nice corgis, but I have been bitten by so many that I am corgi-shy lol. I try (even did full anesthesia on one once) but yeah ,they just make me nervous. I know logically all are not like that, just a personality quirk of mine.

Fur. Just looking at it gives me chills and dizzy spells. Someone's puppy got loose the other day and brushed against my leg, and I was out cold for the next few minutes. Same thing happened when I walked in on some friends watching Lassie.

When I graduate, I plan on starting a reptile/amphibian/naked molerat clinic.

Fur. Just looking at it gives me chills and dizzy spells. Someone's puppy got loose the other day and brushed against my leg, and I was out cold for the next few minutes. Same thing happened when I walked in on some friends watching Lassie.

When I graduate, I plan on starting a reptile/amphibian/naked molerat clinic.

:laugh:

Oh, and growing up in texas, I have also learned to loathe june bugs...too crunchy for me, thank you!

I totally forgot about June bugs! I hate those things too! They are EVERYWHERE in Texas in the summer! :scared:

As for furries, I didn't even know what they were the first time I saw some nerdy kid wearing pointy fox-like ears and a tail on campus; all I knew was that every time I saw him walking between classes I wanted to go punch him in the face. He wore the damned things every day, too, so eventually I started taking alternate routes to avoid him.

Furries are real? I saw that on CSI once, but I thought they made it up... Eww!!

Another phobia I forgot about: Millipedes. We get some in my basement at home that are like a foot long... So creepy!

Animal: Spiders, mainly because there are brown recluses in my apartment at school, and my mom's apartment at home. It's great, especially when you sit down on your couch, feel something crawling on you, and realize it's a brown recluse...

Non-Animal: When I was young, I was afraid of street drains (the kind that are open along the curb of a road). I was terrified because of that stupid Paperboy 2 game with the green hand that grabs the paperboy. I thought you could fall in, or be pulled in like in that game, so I wouldn't ride anywhere near them.

animal related: crane flies, house centipedes. when either of those shows up (thankfully ive only seen pictures of the latter), it feels like something breaks inside of me, and i feel like im going to cry. and i like bugs, mostly. ticks, leeches, and other bloodsucking creatures are gross, too.

non animal related: public speaking ): im shy to begin with, and im definitely working on my terrible socializing skills (right now im really awkward and a terrible conversationalist, i cant do idle chatter at all), but i like talking to people once i get comfortable. but public speaking.... ugh, i just... i only get worse, no matter how much i've been forced to do it practiced.

pigsrock: ooooh yeah furries are real. and they're everywhere. actually, most of them are super nice, and most of them dont rape animals, lol. although i will never understand the appeal of dressing up in a hot, stinky suit looking like a cartoon animal.

house centipedes. .

OH. MY. GOD. those things are terrifying! I never knew what they were called until I just googled house centipedes on a hunch. We have them in my apartment and are just as terrifying-looking in person as they are in the pictures. And they're FAST! I'm from the north, living in Alabama, and NOT used to the bugs that exist down here.

Also, there was a Furry convention in Atlanta in march(?) and there was a whole website about how furries are people, too. It was sort of like a train wreck, I couldn't turn away. So weird, and so fascinating. It talked about how a lot of them are doctors and business people and things that just have a passion for (I forget the word) basically taking on the persona of an animal, which just weirded me out. But different strokes, right? :)

Monkeys :scared::eek::zip:

I've been terrified of them since I was a little kid. 4 hands (5 counting that creepy hand-like tail some of them have!) and the ability to use our language and computers?! No thanks!! :scared::scared::scared:

Non animal related: umm..not much really. The monkey fear is weird enough to meet all my phobia requirements I guess!

haha I grew up with pools at every house we had when I was kid and was *convinced* that the drain would open like a door, the entire bottom of the pool would swing down and Shamu would come out until I was 8 or so. I was way excited about that.

My sister thought the same thing would happen (she's probably the one that told me that could happen when I was 4) only Jaws would come out and spent 2 years only swimming in the shallow end. :laugh:

i love cracked.com. i learn so much random trivia. although my friends probably think im some sort of pervert because i know waaaaayy to much animal reproduction trivia because of cracked.com and subsequent googling and wikipedia link-travels.

Animal: Minks!!!! Sounds totally random, right? I lived in Madison, and minks lived in the lake that butted up to campus... eventually I saw one up-close. Then had recurring nightmares about one attacking me. I guess I evened the score though--I worked as a museum preparator, and the very first "specimen" I had to skin, tan, and stuff on my own was a mink. Eew. And ironic.

pouches rock, you are afraid (or at least annoyed by) muppets!?! Oh no! Are you a child of the 80s? I am, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE muppets. (Maybe I should start a new thread: innapropriate-for-your-age-"likes." Labyrinth? Yes!!!).

It's weird when things listed as other people's "phobias" are your "fascinations." Crazy Hippos, I work as a technician in a parasitology lab... Parasites have been my job for the last 3 years, and I even have a collection at home. (Don't worry, they're preseved and bottled. I doubt that makes it any better, though.)

I'm jealous of your kitten. We were doing a dissection on cats in high school and the teacher said if we found kittens, we could put it in preservative and take it home. Well we found them and had it all rigged up but then the principal put a stop to it. Bah!

It doubly sucks because one of my classmates worked very hard to get the brain out of his cat and was going to keep it as well, but nope. Damn principal. Some pal you are!

I like parasites too, but the only preserved specimen I have is a fetal kitten. :hungover:

Ooh! sounds (morbidly) awesome! My lab is brimming (or oozing?) with specimens. PM me a shipping address (even if it's a University or clinic address) and I promise to start you off with something... cuterebra? Dirofilaria? You got it, TT! You've helped us all, so this can be a tangible "thank you." :) [And FINALLY! Someone else who likes parasites!]

Better than ticks in your belly button! Or anywhere else on me, for that matter.

pouches rock, you are afraid (or at least annoyed by) muppets!?! Oh no! Are you a child of the 80s? I am, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE muppets. (Maybe I should start a new thread: innapropriate-for-your-age-"likes." Labyrinth? Yes!!!).

Actually you have found my one weakness I love Labyrinth although I am slightly disturbed by the results: my first crush as a little girl was on David Bowie :oops:

Also Never Ending Story

'don't go that way, never go that way'

Better than ticks in your belly button! Or anywhere else on me, for that matter.

Ugggh no joke! I had 23, count them, 23 ticks on me at one time when I was staying at a field station down in Belize. I still have nightmares!

I've only found one tick on me. And it gave me Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever - in the middle of small animal surgery block, no less. A tick covered dog had come in (not even on my service!) so I think that's where I got it from.

Oh man let me tell you....the muscle pain and fever were the worst I have ever had (and the rash was none too pleasant either).

I have only one real fear...WORMS!

When it pours outside and they all come out of the soil, I freak out. Also, my 3 week old kitten had giardia and I refused to stimulate him after a huge one came out of his butt!

Vet school should be interesting...Haha!

Animal related: I took entomology. I'm not afraid to pick up insects that don't bite and I'm not afraid to handle dead ones... but living inverts that bite still scare me. I'm also afraid of my new gerbil, Mac. He LUNGES at me. Jellyfish.

Non-animal related: bathtub/shower drains, being alone for the rest of my life, getting food poisoning from people who love preparing meat but don't like to clean up after themselves, and never being happy.

Animal related: probably just cockroaches. I've been known to see one, and run screaming.

Non-animal related: The feeling of velvet...actually the feeling of a lot of things, like chalk, and other stuff that I don't even know the name of but if they are put against my skin I freak out! I get immediate goosebumps and usually have to throw out or hide whatever the object is so I don't have to deal with it lol. I once bought sandals that had a horrible material on the bottom and I wore them once and had to get rid of them because I would spaz out whenever I put them on!

omg when reading this you reminded me of what non-animal related thing actually makes me upset (forget what I said about heights or the telephone, that pales in comparison!!) I hate hate hate weird textures and sounds on my fingernails or teeth. nails on a chalkboard, nail files, I've got goosebumps and want to shake just thinking about it too much. if someone is filing their nails I have to leave the room because I can just feel it in my nails and it makes me go crazy!!

Ugggh no joke! I had 23, count them, 23 ticks on me at one time when I was staying at a field station down in Belize. I still have nightmares!

I would honestly just sit down and start sobbing. :laugh: you are braver than I am and I'm making a mental note not to go to Belize.

I would honestly just sit down and start sobbing. :laugh: you are braver than I am and I'm making a mental note not to go to Belize.

Me too! People would find me slumped against a wall..completely passed out. I had a tick in my armpit once (I guess from restraining a dog at work), and I screamed for my boyfriend (at the time) to come in and take it off. He wouldn't do it! He was afraid! So I started jumping around in the shower like a nut..ticks are so disgusting. I ended up counting to three and picked it off real quick. Blargh...

Me too! People would find me slumped against a wall..completely passed out. I had a tick in my armpit once (I guess from restraining a dog at work), and I screamed for my boyfriend (at the time) to come in and take it off. He wouldn't do it! He was afraid! So I started jumping around in the shower like a nut..ticks are so disgusting. I ended up counting to three and picked it off real quick. Blargh...

Ticks don't scare me. Having ocular cysticercosis or Acanthamoeba keratitis scares me.

Animal related: Wouldn't say I'm afraid of small dogs, but I definitely don't trust them, and treat them all like biters until they prove otherwise.

Non animal
-bellybuttons - I HATE being touched near there. It's stupid, but I always imagined that if you got poked heard enough, you'd make a hole, and you'd be picking up your intestines (I mean, it used to be open!)

-Going blind - just about every dream where there is some sense of urgency (whether running from something, or needing to do something) I start going blind, and either get caught/can't finish the task, etc.

-swimming in lakes without sandals/shoes - my feet are so big (size 14/15) that I figure any step I make will land on something that wants to eat my large toes.

Haha I was not very happy - though don't let this stop you from going to Belize! BEAUTIFUL country...we were just really deep in the tropical forest.