Phobias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have only one real fear...WORMS!

When it pours outside and they all come out of the soil, I freak out. Also, my 3 week old kitten had giardia and I refused to stimulate him after a huge one came out of his butt!

Not sure if you know what giardia is since they are protozoans and aren't visible to the naked eye. It sounds more like your kitten had roundworms (not at all unusual in young animals).

Members don't see this ad.

Giardia trophozoites are cute... they look like they're smiling.

i love hearing things like this, haha. like, nerdy but in an adorable way, lol. in my biology class we were looking over the knee mri's of someone who got injured in sports a bit ago. when my teacher said, "look at his little patella", two people said "awwww!"

Members don't see this ad :)
-bellybuttons - I HATE being touched near there. It's stupid, but I always imagined that if you got poked heard enough, you'd make a hole, and you'd be picking up your intestines (I mean, it used to be open!).

That made me squirm just reading it - and I can't read it again!
For me, animals: birds of prey. I don't trust them. They look like they are just waiting to rip off a finger.

Non-animal:
Heights: I can't look over the side of anything high without being tied to a secure object. This poses some issue when jumping out of airplanes. I can never be the number one jumper. The only way I can do it is by staring at the back of the aircraft until it's time to hand off the static line. At that point, it's a quick turn and I'm out the door before I know what's going on. I get major butterflies in my stomach every time the doors open.

animal realted: spiders (although I like tarantulas)

non animal related: feeling stuck, like if I go out to eat with a crowd of people and get stuck in the middle of the booth, or being in the middle seat in a packed theater....maybe a form of closterphobia? I do not fear being in small spaces though (I actually like it, thought the MRI was frickin cool). I think what bothers me is when I have to depend on others getting out of the way for me to move.:cool:

Non-animal:
Heights: I can't look over the side of anything high without being tied to a secure object. This poses some issue when jumping out of airplanes. I can never be the number one jumper. The only way I can do it is by staring at the back of the aircraft until it's time to hand off the static line. At that point, it's a quick turn and I'm out the door before I know what's going on. I get major butterflies in my stomach every time the doors open.

Whoa, cool! This sounds like an intro to a personal statement to me...

Animal related: Meal worms!! When I volunteered to feed orphaned baby birds a couple of summers ago we gave some of them meal worms and one of the ladies I worked with could just cut them up with scissors while they were still alive and squirming! It was sooo gross... I insist on drowning my meal worms before touching them. :)

Not animal related: Getting lost, especially in the woods or the desert! Heights in some situations... mainly in the elevator. I hate not having my back against a wall or something when I go eat at restaurants or when I am in class. I don't like people sitting behind me or not being able to see what is going on behind me!

Animal Related: Snakes completely creep me out
Non-animal Related: Needles going into people. I absolutely hate getting shots, getting blood drawn, and seeing people get shots. I can deal with seeing them in animals though because of the fur.

Not sure if you know what giardia is since they are protozoans and aren't visible to the naked eye. It sounds more like your kitten had roundworms (not at all unusual in young animals).

Good catch. The vet techs said it was giardia. ??? Oh well, he's all better now.

Animal: Bees and horseflies (or any other insect that will randomly sting/bite you for no reason!)

Non-animal: Dental work. I hate it! I had to work on desensitizing myself to it at work, and I absolutely HATE the idea of having my own teeth worked on.