Technology Phone Apps and Pocketbooks for rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donkeyboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting my rotations pretty soon and was just wondering which Apps to have on my phone and which books I should have handy in my white coat that would be helpful.

I actually don't have a smartphone right now, but I was planning on getting one for rotations. I know of Epocrates, and a few others apps, but is it worth getting a new phone just for rotations? Maybe just to kill time or look up something quickly?

As for pocketbooks I know many of my classmates already have Maxwell and Pharmacopoeia, just curious if anyone thought other books would be useful. I saw a book by Sailer called Differential Diagnosis Pocket, which I thought might be helpful.

Any thoughts on either Apps or pocketbooks, or which smartphone to get?

Members don't see this ad.

MedCalc and Medscape are pretty good apps to have. I have them on my iphone, I would assume they are available on other smartphones.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a palm razr, what kind of apps can I get for the wards on my phone?

I have a Palm centro -- programs I find useful:

Drug References -- A2ZDrugs, MIMS (Australia), Lexi-Comp
Calculators - MedCalc
Dictionary - Steadman
Clinical - 5MCC, DxSaurus, DynaMed

Hi All - I want to get a phone that would be good for third and fourth year student rotations. I am debating between the iPhone and the Droid. Is there a difference? Is one better than the other for podiatry applications, etc? I am not looking for iPhone vs Droid fans to tell me theirs is the best. I just want to know if one is better than the other for practical purposes, or perhaps no difference at all. Or maybe another phone I am unaware of? Or does the type of phone not even matter? Thanks!

I am debating between the iPhone and the Droid. Is there a difference? ... I am not looking for iPhone vs Droid fans to tell me theirs is the best.

Good luck with that.

Of course they're different. "Better" is in the eye of the beholder. Which one do you like?

Either is fine for medical use. There are more apps for the iPhone, and it's generally considered to be more user-friendly. Both phones can be hacked/customized by rooting (Droid) or jailbreaking (iPhone) if that's your thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - I know nothing about hacking, so I will take what I can get! :)

Droid is not a single device. The Android devices are available on multiple carriers, vary widely in their power and capabilities, and have many apps available for them. Not as many as the iPhone but growing in numbers. Epocrates Essentials is finally available for Android devices and if you buy at the right time it is free for students.

Ipod TOUCH if u don't mind carrying two items in white coat.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: