PhORCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Talking about incomplete applications, does anyone know if a program sees the application as "incomplete" if a transcript (pre-req) is missing. One of the program contacted me saying me my application is incomplete. My pre- pharmacy school has sent out the transcript already, but it is still not up on phorcas. I am very nervous at this point. Almost all my application deadline has passed, now I am wondering if a program just sees the application as incomplete.

Yes, it shows up as incomplete if you have a missing transcript. This was mentioned earlier in the thread a few times.

At this point, you should either call PhORCAS to follow up on the status of your transcript, or you can offer to send the transcript directly from your school to the residency director.

--Garfield3d

Members don't see this ad.

What the hell programs look at undergrad grades? Most useless crap ever IMO, I don't care what you did 7 years ago.

What the hell programs look at undergrad grades? Most useless crap ever IMO, I don't care what you did 7 years ago.

Maybe to differentiate degree holders from non degree holders ? I know in California everybody and their mother has like 3 bachelors but I guess out of state practices are different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would they take into account previous degrees? I have a Master's degree in Biology, and I was hoping it would help my application stand out a bit!

Would they take into account previous degrees? I have a Master's degree in Biology, and I was hoping it would help my application stand out a bit!

This depends on the program. We take it slightly into account.

I do, but only if you went and did something with it. If you are a person who never had real world experience because you stayed in school collecting degrees, I would consider that a minus.

I want maturity, common sense and a ton of drive. A lot of the other stuff is teachable.

I do, but only if you went and did something with it. If you are a person who never had real world experience because you stayed in school collecting degrees, I would consider that a minus.

I want maturity, common sense and a ton of drive. A lot of the other stuff is teachable.
Would you consider a foreign grad who is already a licensed RPh with lots of clinical experience and good grades.Although we dont do the GPA system in England?

Would you consider a foreign grad who is already a licensed RPh with lots of clinical experience and good grades.Although we dont do the GPA system in England?

Interesting candidate profile for sure. I think most people would come back to the question of why you want to do a residency vs. just getting a clinical position since you already have clinical experience (assuming its similar to US clinical positions).

I was trying to give PhorCAS the benefit of the doubt but honestly I think it's best if you call if you're having transcript issues. I had issues due to having to send 5 transcripts since they require "every course" and finally got it resolved with a phone call to customer service today. I had been contacted by several programs saying my application was incomplete when PhorCAS couldn't figure out how to join up the transcript from my masters program to my profile.

Do you require VISA sponsorship and are you eligible to work in the USA? Most programs won't sponsor VISA's.

Interesting candidate profile for sure. I think most people would come back to the question of why you want to do a residency vs. just getting a clinical position since you already have clinical experience (assuming its similar to US clinical positions).

very good question. Few reasons why I'd want a residency for starters..back in England, we do not graduate with a PharmD, we have a Masters instead...so to be more competitive, maybe a residency on top of that will be more acceptable. Also 1 year PGY1=3 years experience..so i heard! I guess applying directly for clinical roles is another option. I have a few interviews for clinical pharmacist roles coming up too...Yes the clinical experience is very much similar.

Do you require VISA sponsorship and are you eligible to work in the USA? Most programs won't sponsor VISA's.
I am aware that most programs do not sponsor but I only applied to programs that do sponsor visas. That took a lot of effort contacting each director state by state to see if they will sponsor. Not very many programs but a handful..

Not sure how, but there were some applicants that Phorcas let submit after our deadline... We reviewed all applicants at the deadline in both the completed and pending pools at our deadline (2 weeks ago). We went back to print applications for intervews and there were new ones there? We know they were submitted late because of LOI is dated from the candidate after our deadline. The deadline is clearly listed on our website...so not sure why people would attempt to send an application late, without at least contacting the program director first to see if something changed.

We already invited all our candidates for interviews, so these people are SOL.

Not sure how, but there were some applicants that Phorcas let submit after our deadline... We reviewed all applicants at the deadline in both the completed and pending pools at our deadline (2 weeks ago). We went back to print applications for intervews and there were new ones there? We know they were submitted late because of LOI is dated from the candidate after our deadline. The deadline is clearly listed on our website...so not sure why people would attempt to send an application late, without at least contacting the program director first to see if something changed.

...lol? How's that even possible!

Quite simple explanation actually without complicated scenarios in which potential applicants attempt outrageous things. Because there is quite a few discrepancies I noticed between programs websites and the official ashp residency info pages including deadlines. Other people prolly took the ashp info page to heart too and submitted based on deadlines they seen there or deadlines listed on phorcas.

If you wanna say: 'well they should have looked at our page" you can but there is so much outdated incorrent info I found on program pages that I figured they would at least provide correct info to Phorcas vs. who knows when is last time they updated their page and so I went based on Phorcas deadlines.

Seriously, I get it you guys are maybe frustrated and tired but you gotta be a bit nicer about things you post to people sick with anxiety and under stress.

Quite simple explanation actually without complicated scenarios in which potential applicants attempt outrageous things. Because there is quite a few discrepancies I noticed between programs websites and the official ashp residency info pages including deadlines. Other people prolly took the ashp info page to heart too and submitted based on deadlines they seen there or deadlines listed on phorcas.

If you wanna say: 'well they should have looked at our page" you can but there is so much outdated incorrent info I found on program pages that I figured they would at least provide correct info to Phorcas vs. who knows when is last time they updated their page and so I went based on Phorcas deadlines.

I'm a lifelong procrastinator, and as a student applicant last year and a resident this year, I know that there is a massive crunch and a great deal of angst involved with the application process. But, I don't feel like managing application deadlines is a particularly ambiguous decision-making process. Surely, it's hard to fit so many materials into so many deadlines, but if you're confronted with several deadlines, I think the sensible thing would be to assume the worst and go with the earliest deadline. Or, at the very least, send an e-mail to the residency director and question them about the disparity. If anything, I'm sure that they would appreciate the heads-up.

--Garfield3d

I'm a lifelong procrastinator, and as a student applicant last year and a resident this year, I know that there is a massive crunch and a great deal of angst involved with the application process. But, I don't feel like managing application deadlines is a particularly ambiguous decision-making process. Surely, it's hard to fit so many materials into so many deadlines, but if you're confronted with several deadlines, I think the sensible thing would be to assume the worst and go with the earliest deadline. Or, at the very least, send an e-mail to the residency director and question them about the disparity. If anything, I'm sure that they would appreciate the heads-up.

--Garfield3d

Agreed-if you were really serious about the program, you would have had some communication with them and know what the real deadline is. This process is stressful but it's not that hard submitting an application on time.

Seriously, I get it you guys are maybe frustrated and tired but you gotta be a bit nicer about things you post to people sick with anxiety and under stress.

It isn't a matter of being nice...we already invited candidates and filled up our interview spots over a week before these people applied. What are we supposed to do as a program?

It is what it is...this was my PSA to remind students to check when it doesn't match. We don't want you to waste your time and money applying when we don't even have any interviews left to offer you. There were some good candidates that probably would have gotten interviews if they made the deadline...but we can't create more dates or take away interviews we've already offered to possibly less qualified candidates.

"Quite simple explanation actually without complicated scenarios in which potential applicants attempt outrageous things. Because there is quite a few discrepancies I noticed between programs websites and the official ashp residency info pages including deadlines. Other people prolly took the ashp info page to heart too and submitted based on deadlines they seen there or deadlines listed on phorcas.

Seriously, I get it you guys are maybe frustrated and tired but you gotta be a bit nicer about things you post to people sick with anxiety and under stress."

I relied on PhORCAS deadlines for the same reasons. Also, I received notifications that some programs did extend their deadlines so I assumed the deadlines on PhORCAS were accurate.

Last edited: