Photography recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slack3r

Sicker than your average
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a camera to use for post op photography? I have a Nikon DSLR that is rather cumbersome, and was hoping to use something a little better quality than an iPad. This would be for Mohs reconstruction only, without any sort of dedicated photo area.

Members don't see this ad.

the quality of pictures on a phone or ipad are as good as DSLR for all practical purposes if you're not prining poster sized pictures

Reactions: 2 users
I would say look for something point and shoot that has macro capabilities as an easy option, but that will stuff have much better resolution and cropping ability that an iPhone. A more extreme option would be a DSLR/Mirrorless with a macro lens and a flash, but that's going to be bulky and hard to carry around.

Macro is really the key though. You want something that's going to fill as much of the sensor as possible wth your imagine of choice, and not much else; otherwise, you're just cropping out a lot of uneccesary stuff from the image periphery and therefore losing image resolution.

I use a Canon PowerShot SX400 IS that my wife got from a friend while I was in residency (for $60), and it works great for my purposes (including when I went through my Oral Boards). I agree with droliver otherwise!

What helps is to have a standardized setup in your office. I use a 'clinical' blue background for my before and afters, and the floor has markings for the patient to orient him- or herself, the same way, each and every time.

The ASPS puts out photography guidelines/standards which are helpful, or else you can pull 'photography for plastic surgeon' articles in our literature, including Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (PRS).