Phys Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TawMus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is F= 1/T & T= 1/f useable for all wave and oscillation problems?? (electromagnetic waves, Simple harmonic waves, Sound waves, Standing waves, etc.) I am having a hard time differentiating between the different types of waves and oscillations and which equations to use for each problem. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Is F= 1/T & T= 1/f useable for all wave and oscillation problems?? (electromagnetic waves, Simple harmonic waves, Sound waves, Standing waves, etc.) I am having a hard time differentiating between the different types of waves and oscillations and which equations to use for each problem. Thanks.

For the MCAT I believe so...
I think the major difference you are concerned with is the diff. between a transverse (light) wave and a longitudinal (sound wave).

Cheers.

For the MCAT I believe so...
I think the major difference you are concerned with is the diff. between a transverse (light) wave and a longitudinal (sound wave).

Cheers.

The relationship between frequency and period is true for all waves (transverse or longitudinal) in which either frequency or period is constant. Think about what frequency actually is. Then think about what period actually is.

The frequency is the number of cycles that a repeating stimulus completes per unit time.

The period is the time that it takes to go through one cycle.

The two are linked at the most integral level. Frequency IS the inverse of the period and, and similarly, period IS the inverse of frequency. One cannot exist without the other and the two are linked by 1/T = f in all situations where the frequency (or the period) is constant. Think about whether its even possible to have a situation where the frequency is defined but the period isn't...is it possible?