Physiatric Sports vs Physiatric Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Butterfly23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in dilemma and not sure which route to take
I like Peds PM&R and Sports PM&R

Once Again, many will respond same way, Do what u want to do and do not look at salary. However, I would like to know financial aspects as well. Also I would summarize pros and cons of both specialities according to my views

1. Pros about Peds
not much saturation in this field
Rewarding
Interesting Procedures such as phenol block and Botox injection

2. Cons about Peds PM&R
Affiliations with academic institution is MUST to get reimbursed--->This means that I am forced to do research to maintain professorship(not a big fan of research, I even struggle to write posters for AAP)
Very hard to do private practice

1. Pros about Sports PM&R
Good marketing
possible opportunities to work for sports team
MSK patients that are less annoying than Pain practice
Heavy involvement of ultrasound
many fellowship programs also rotate at pain center where you can get to learn floor guided injections

2. Cons about sports PM&R
You do not need Sports board certification to do US procedures so what is the point?
Competitive markets in the Sports/MSK world
I am not a big fan of covering sports games but love seeing injuries as outpatient

Please comment if my comments above are wrong
FYI, I do not care how long it takes to become fellowship trained physician. I already lost good portion of my life by choosing to become a doctor. Also I am aware that sports fellowship is hard to obtain.
IF you become Peds Physiatry fellowship trained doctor, does that shun away from seeing adult patients??

Members don't see this ad.

2. Cons about sports PM&R
You do not need Sports board certification to do US procedures so what is the point?
Competitive markets in the Sports/MSK world
I am not a big fan of covering sports games but love seeing injuries as outpatient

You answered your own question right there. Saying that you don't like to cover games/events in applying to sports medicine fellowship is like saying you don't like surgery, just only clinic, when applying to orthopaedic surgery, ENT, urology, etc. Covering sporting events is kind of the whole point of a sports medicine fellowship. You don't need a sports medicine fellowship to learn how to do ultrasound and fluoro guided procedures.

You don't have to do research in an academic practice. Many universities have either clinician-educator tracks (where you are required to do some scholarship and demonstrate your value as a teacher) or straight clinician tracks (which can be harder in something like Peds as opposed to Interventional Pain where it is easier to make your clinical revenue).

Members don't see this ad :)
You answered your own question right there. Saying that you don't like to cover games/events in applying to sports medicine fellowship is like saying you don't like surgery, just only clinic, when applying to orthopaedic surgery, ENT, urology, etc. Covering sporting events is kind of the whole point of a sports medicine fellowship. You don't need a sports medicine fellowship to learn how to do ultrasound and fluoro guided procedures.
I have had fellows who are not in love with sideline coverage. That's not a deal breaker. Find your identity and who you relate to - are you a peds doc, spine doc, pain doc, sports doc, neuromuscular doc? You will have to connect to these people because they will not come to you if they sense you don't understand their needs.

I have had fellows who are not in love with sideline coverage. That's not a deal breaker. Find your identity and who you relate to - are you a peds doc, spine doc, pain doc, sports doc, neuromuscular doc? You will have to connect to these people because they will not come to you if they sense you don't understand their needs.

What do those fellows who are not in love with sideline coverage usually do in place of that? Just more general outpatient sports?

What do those fellows who are not in love with sideline coverage usually do in place of that? Just more general outpatient sports?
In fellowship you do sideline coverage as part of your training. That is not flexible. After fellowship I've seen them go into all sorts of things - paralympics, research, exercise phys, student health, endurance events, performing arts, dance, master's athletes, industrial athletes, etc

Wow, very cool! I'm planning to do sports so this is exciting to think about. Thanks for the input!

Disagree. While covering games is a part of any sports medicine fellowship, the majority of private practice sports medicine physicians do not cover games after their training, or cover 1-2 special events per year in total.

Why, because you don't get paid to cover games, and you may only see one injury every other game (after spending 7 hours of your time).

To the OP, there are thousands of sports medicine physicians who enjoy sports medicine patients, and sports medicine clinical issues, all from the comfort of seeing these patients in their office, where they actually get paid to treat these athletes. And when they're not actually working in their office and getting paid, they have plenty of time to spend with friends and family, like any normal person.

Reactions: 1 users