Quantcast

Physical Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toastayy

Buttered Toast
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but I've recently started my FM residency and started my first mini-peds outpatient rotation today. Started with a few patients and shadowing an attending. My question is regarding physical exams. Are you examining genitalia at every well child visit? Up to what age do you stop, or don't you? It seems different physicians practice different things when it comes to physicals and I just want to make sure if there's any evidence behind doing this. (I had one FM physician do DREs on all older male patients at their annual visit which is not indicated).

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes at every well. Especially important at age 6,7,8 and age 13,14 (cut offs for precocious or delayed puberty based on the demographic)

Reactions: 1 user

Goneril

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't do it at every well visit. I rarely do it in late adolescence especially if their height has plateaued and there are obvious signs that puberty has ended.

Before puberty and mid-puberty, I will check and I will check every other year, assuming everything was appropriate the year before.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.