How do you palpate for stool on physical exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pushy pushy mushy mushy.

Ok really, it feels like a mass in the abdomen of variable firmness size shape and nodularity that tends to be in the LLQ or pelvis. There's nothing characteristic about it to confidently distinguish it from another abdominal mass just by exam. I've diagnosed at least 2 malignancies that were initially thought to be stool
 
Basically if I feel a mass in the LLQ, there isn't much else there. Then add the history and I call it constipation. Outside of the LLQ mass, I don't feel for it and would never reliably say it is constipation in other quadrants without further consideration.