Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaterAvatar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what your views were on PMR. Do you sometimes think that you could probably do the same type of work?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, this is the first I've heard of it. Just wiki'd it. You'd be in school for a looong time but make a lot of money. I think a lot of the PMR work is similar to PT, except there seems to be medication and more electrodiagnostics involved. Hm, very interesting. Not sure how much more knowledge they have over us about things.

Wow, this is the first I've heard of it. Just wiki'd it. You'd be in school for a looong time but make a lot of money. I think a lot of the PMR work is similar to PT, except there seems to be medication and more electrodiagnostics involved. Hm, very interesting. Not sure how much more knowledge they have over us about things.

i can agree with this post, I have very little exposure to what PM&R docs do but after doing a little "wiki" research I feel that PTs have ability to deal w/ many of the situations that these docs deal w/ except for the medication aspect.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are tons of thinks that PMR docs do that we are simply not trained to do. For example, managing the medical needs of a paraplegic with spasticity, the diabetes of a head injured patient, the entire set of needs for a complex rehab patient including their PT, OT, Speech, and medical needs both premorbid and resulting from the injury/illness etc . . .

PMR docs go to MEDICAL school, read way more chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology,physiology etc . . . than there is in PT school. PTs might be able to manage a very small part of what physiatrists do but certainly could NOT replace what they do.

Geez

Agree 100%. PM&R doctors, usually work over the PT/OT/Speech etc. At least this was the case where I volunteered, the head physician was PMR not Ortho, and would make rounds in outpatient and peds sections. She had much more say, then the PTs. And they are MD/DO.

There are tons of thinks that PMR docs do that we are simply not trained to do. For example, managing the medical needs of a paraplegic with spasticity, the diabetes of a head injured patient, the entire set of needs for a complex rehab patient including their PT, OT, Speech, and medical needs both premorbid and resulting from the injury/illness etc . . .

PMR docs go to MEDICAL school, read way more chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology,physiology etc . . . than there is in PT school. PTs might be able to manage a very small part of what physiatrists do but certainly could NOT replace what they do.

Geez