Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

Discussion in 'Physical Therapy' started by WaterAvatar, Dec 28, 2008.

1. WaterAvatar

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just wondering what your views were on PMR. Do you sometimes think that you could probably do the same type of work?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Akiramay

7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    Wow, this is the first I've heard of it. Just wiki'd it. You'd be in school for a looong time but make a lot of money. I think a lot of the PMR work is similar to PT, except there seems to be medication and more electrodiagnostics involved. Hm, very interesting. Not sure how much more knowledge they have over us about things.

4. _FNG_

_FNG_ PT, DPT, OCS
    7+ Year Member

DPT / OTD
    i can agree with this post, I have very little exposure to what PM&R docs do but after doing a little "wiki" research I feel that PTs have ability to deal w/ many of the situations that these docs deal w/ except for the medication aspect.

5. truthseeker

truthseeker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

There are tons of thinks that PMR docs do that we are simply not trained to do. For example, managing the medical needs of a paraplegic with spasticity, the diabetes of a head injured patient, the entire set of needs for a complex rehab patient including their PT, OT, Speech, and medical needs both premorbid and resulting from the injury/illness etc . . .

PMR docs go to MEDICAL school, read way more chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology,physiology etc . . . than there is in PT school. PTs might be able to manage a very small part of what physiatrists do but certainly could NOT replace what they do.

Geez

6. Bigshoguns

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Agree 100%. PM&R doctors, usually work over the PT/OT/Speech etc. At least this was the case where I volunteered, the head physician was PMR not Ortho, and would make rounds in outpatient and peds sections. She had much more say, then the PTs. And they are MD/DO.