Physical strain in the PT Profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheMission

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated with a Kinesiology degree from a UC. I currently want to pursue either dentistry or PT. Both are really great professions. I have much respect for both of them, which is why I'm considering both. However, due to some back problems, I don't think dentistry, as it turns out, will be a good decision for me. I mean, there's also a lot more debt than a PT. There pros and cons to both sides, as I'm sure all of you know. Do you all think that physical therapy school will create lots of strain on my back? Manipulations are inevitable. What kills me in the dental clinic is just walking around, and trying to erect my posture all the time. I know sitting in a chair and looking downward would stress out my neck and everything. I'm getting physical therapy right now actually to help fix some scapular issues. What have you all experienced with regards to the ergonomics of physical therapy? And if you all have any insights on the benefits of PT over dentistry, that would be great too. I know a good amount of dentistry already from shadowing, so I think I have realistic expectations in that area. For PT, though, I haven't officially shadowed anyone, but I'm the patient for a really nice PT at my school! I'm down for either mainly because I love human anatomy and physiology! Both are great subjects, and I'm simply trying to find the best way to help patients by applying all the diadctics we learn throughout academia. Thank you for your insights and contributions.
 
It highly depends what setting you want to work in. From my experience neuro rehab tends to be harder on the body since it is a lot more lifting of patients who are unable to assist much. Acute care ranges highly on which patient population you see. Outpatient you will likely have to be on your feet a good amount of the day but will be less likely to transfer patients all day. Some therapist are very manual though. Peds would probably be the best because the patients weigh way less. The day I observed in the NICU I remember thinking that was probably the best for the PTs body because a decent amount of treatment is done sitting down! Or even the few PTs who are hand specialist (usually OTs but PTs can do it too).. most of your treatments would be with you and your patient sitting down and the patients hand on the table.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Peds would probably be the best because the patients weigh way less.
The physicality of my job would be so much easier if this were truer! Peds takes you all the way to 18 typically, and 21 in the school setting. So plenty of my students/patients are taller and/or heavier than me. And many of the kids I treat aren't able to help with transfers at all... or for various reasons actually resist. Peds is awesome but don't be fooled into thinking it's all cooperative little bodies you work with! Also plan on squatting, crawling, kneeling, and climbing repeatedly, all day. While at work I often wonder how I'll keep doing what I'm doing in a few decades!
 
The physicality of my job would be so much easier if this were truer! Peds takes you all the way to 18 typically, and 21 in the school setting. So plenty of my students/patients are taller and/or heavier than me. And many of the kids I treat aren't able to help with transfers at all... or for various reasons actually resist. Peds is awesome but don't be fooled into thinking it's all cooperative little bodies you work with! Also plan on squatting, crawling, kneeling, and climbing repeatedly, all day. While at work I often wonder how I'll keep doing what I'm doing in a few decades!

I'm currently applying to PT school and interested in Peds. I've shadowed with special needs/aquatics, but I was looking for more settings to shadow in, just to get a better idea of what else I can do. I was wondering if you know of any organizations/websites where I can find a Pediatric physical therapist in my area (California), that works at any sort of Peds setting (school, home health, early care intervention, etc.).
 
I stand to be corrected. I never had much interest in peds and did none of my internships with peds. My only experience is my one day observations I had or random days if I had a CI that wanted me to observe someone else.
 
I stand to be corrected. I never had much interest in peds and did none of my internships with peds. My only experience is my one day observations I had or random days if I had a CI that wanted me to observe someone else.
That's why this place is all about sharing information.:bookworm:
 
I graduated with a Kinesiology degree from a UC. I currently want to pursue either dentistry or PT. Both are really great professions. I have much respect for both of them, which is why I'm considering both. However, due to some back problems, I don't think dentistry, as it turns out, will be a good decision for me. I mean, there's also a lot more debt than a PT. There pros and cons to both sides, as I'm sure all of you know. Do you all think that physical therapy school will create lots of strain on my back? Manipulations are inevitable. What kills me in the dental clinic is just walking around, and trying to erect my posture all the time. I know sitting in a chair and looking downward would stress out my neck and everything. I'm getting physical therapy right now actually to help fix some scapular issues. What have you all experienced with regards to the ergonomics of physical therapy? And if you all have any insights on the benefits of PT over dentistry, that would be great too. I know a good amount of dentistry already from shadowing, so I think I have realistic expectations in that area. For PT, though, I haven't officially shadowed anyone, but I'm the patient for a really nice PT at my school! I'm down for either mainly because I love human anatomy and physiology! Both are great subjects, and I'm simply trying to find the best way to help patients by applying all the diadctics we learn throughout academia. Thank you for your insights and contributions.

First, stop worrying about your posture. It can't be "fixed" and even if you were able to obtain what we have been told is the "perfect posture" it likely wouldn't help your problem anyway.

Second, there is minimal physical demand in outpatient orthopaedics.