Physical Therapist "Aide"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmd13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do these jobs still exist? I know there are Physical Therapy Assistant and Tech jobs but it is my understanding that these require an Associate's degree or some kind of certification. I will be graduating with a degree in Biology this spring and would like to work as a Physical Therapist Aide for a year while I apply to PT school, but every time I scour the internet I can't find any job listings! Is this a rare position?

Members don't see this ad.

I found a few just running through CL. Aides/techs are the same, to my knowledge.

I saw a few in CL. To my knowledge, aides/techs are the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops sorry, my phone was going crazy.

PT Assistants (PTAs) need an associates degree and license, but PT Techs/Aides are basically helpers in the clinic are not licensed. I see PT Aide and PT Tech jobs all the time on craigslist, and have also seen them working in clinics where I have shadowed.

All the techs and aides I met were applying for physical therapy school or some other health profession. It's great experience and it helps your application. Can you count the hours you worked as an aide towards your volunteer hours?

Kevin

Yes, techs, or aides, are still used. Depending on your location, there could be little to a lot of openings for techs/aides. Hospitals will usually hire aides to lower costs of having to hire another PT or PTA.

If you get paid, you can't put it down as volunteer and usually techs are paid positions. Techs can't do any skilled interventions with patients. Most hospitals and in-patient facilities have aides/techs.

If you get paid, you can't put it down as volunteer and usually techs are paid positions. Techs can't do any skilled interventions with patients. Most hospitals and in-patient facilities have aides/techs.

Yes but schools only require observation hours which can be obtained from a paid or voluntary position.