physical therapist going on to apply to med school...repeat courses???

Started by rkumar1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rkumar1

DPT Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, I am very excited about entering DPT school at Temple Univ. this fall. Due to my exposure to multiple PT settings, and ever more interested in going on to med school to become an orthopedic surgeon after completing my DPT. I want to be able to follow a patient from their time of surgery through their respective course of physical therapy. Although, I know only very few therapists (just by name, no affiliation) who are both PT, MDs, I was curious in finding out if I would need to repeat courses such as Gross Anatomy, etc, etc, if in case I were to go on to med school. I know this question may seem stupid...but I was just hoping to get any ideas or responses. Thanks for your time.
 
You will have to repeat gross anatomy, etc. Anatomy is more detailed (probably with the exception of the MSK system) in medical school. For example, in my DPT program we spend 10-11 weeks (summer) on it while the med students spend fall & spring semesters on it. Don't get me wrong though - gross anatomy for PTs is pretty darn detailed/hard (I am in it right now).

As always, check individual programs. There may be an exception.
 
Thanks for advice...what can you recommend...I actually starting reviewing old anatomy from college and a uSMLE gross anatomy book (called Roadmap). I start in august so I figured I should start studying.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm curious. Do you plan to function as both the surgeon and PT for your patients? How did you explain this career goal to Temple Univ. during admission interviewing?
 
Just a question, that's probably obvious but...why are you doing PT if your stated goal is to be an ortho surgeon? If that is your ultimate goal, why not just go right to it? Yes, PT and ortho go hand in hand, but you will be working hard on call/in surgery and you probably won't be able to follow the majority of your patients through pre-surgical screening, surgery, through PT and finally back to you all brand-spanking new. It's a great goal, but one you likely won't be able to follow through with due to time/job constraints and duties.

I know many ortho's who own their own PT clinics, so that may be your best option. In fact, I'd recommend it if you want total control over your patients.

Keep me informed on your progress. I was thinking ortho too, but fell in love with radiology. PT has helped tremendously. I didn't think I wanted to do medicine, but eventually came to realize that is were I really wanted to be.

Good luck.
 
I know many ortho's who own their own PT clinics, so that may be your best option. In fact, I'd recommend it if you want total control over your patients.

ericdopt,
Interesting you would suggest a referral-for-profit senerio as former PT (I assume) and as someone headed into radiology. As a PT, I am certainly against this type of practice arrangement. Aren't radiologists being negatively impacted by Stark regulation issues? Or did Stark III somehow change how this is impacting this specialty as well.
 
In NY, there are Ortho's who run clinics as well. Can't speak for the law but they are around...

I agree w/ the above stated...skip PT and go for the Ortho.
 
Hello i have finished PTA (assistant in phyisiotherapy) but now i would like to be a diploma in physiotherapy. Please give me an information that where i can do it by free with internet.
 
Hello i have finished PTA (assistant in phyisiotherapy) but now i would like to be a diploma in physiotherapy. Please give me an information that where i can do it by free with internet.

a free physical therapy degree via the internet? LMAO.... or free information?
 
Hello i have finished PTA (assistant in phyisiotherapy) but now i would like to be a diploma in physiotherapy. Please give me an information that where i can do it by free with internet.

if you call it phisotherapy, you didnt get your PTA
 
Agree with this post. Go to medical school if that is what you want to do. You wont have much time for follow-up/follow through in PT. That is not practical. The degree might have some advantages with regards to marketing but ultimately you will be working 80+ hours for some time until your estabilished so you really wont have much time or energy for much else. If you think that 100 hours a week is not bad. Try it out for a month. If you're still going strong your tougher than me.

Regards to anatomy: you have to repeat it. And no, anatomy does not last through fall and spring unless you consider neuro separate from anatomy or your at a carib./european school which I am not familiar with. However, it is a bit longer than PT school. But it does depend on where you go to school. Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore PT program is in the medical school so there is some overlap and not a huge difference.


I determined I wanted to go to Medical School at some point during my second year so I did not have much left. If you already know, get a research assistant job at a medical school, study for MCATs and go for it. Three years is a long time.

Good luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad