physical therapist going on to apply to med school...repeat courses???

Discussion in 'Physical Therapy' started by rkumar1, Jun 19, 2008.

1. rkumar1

rkumar1 DPT Student

Rehab Sci Student
    Hello everyone, I am very excited about entering DPT school at Temple Univ. this fall. Due to my exposure to multiple PT settings, and ever more interested in going on to med school to become an orthopedic surgeon after completing my DPT. I want to be able to follow a patient from their time of surgery through their respective course of physical therapy. Although, I know only very few therapists (just by name, no affiliation) who are both PT, MDs, I was curious in finding out if I would need to repeat courses such as Gross Anatomy, etc, etc, if in case I were to go on to med school. I know this question may seem stupid...but I was just hoping to get any ideas or responses. Thanks for your time.

2. teamusaepee

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    You will have to repeat gross anatomy, etc. Anatomy is more detailed (probably with the exception of the MSK system) in medical school. For example, in my DPT program we spend 10-11 weeks (summer) on it while the med students spend fall & spring semesters on it. Don't get me wrong though - gross anatomy for PTs is pretty darn detailed/hard (I am in it right now).

As always, check individual programs. There may be an exception.

3. rkumar1

rkumar1 DPT Student

Rehab Sci Student
    Thanks for advice...what can you recommend...I actually starting reviewing old anatomy from college and a uSMLE gross anatomy book (called Roadmap). I start in august so I figured I should start studying.

4. superCOTA

superCOTA MS, OT by 2011 !!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    so the MD will give the PT also?

5. Bad0 Fish0

2+ Year Member

he's saying he'll be able to see the patient from the get-go, through surgery, through getting PT.. the patient continues to see the ortho while attending PT

6. Elbrus

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    I'm curious. Do you plan to function as both the surgeon and PT for your patients? How did you explain this career goal to Temple Univ. during admission interviewing?

7. ericdopt

ericdopt Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just a question, that's probably obvious but...why are you doing PT if your stated goal is to be an ortho surgeon? If that is your ultimate goal, why not just go right to it? Yes, PT and ortho go hand in hand, but you will be working hard on call/in surgery and you probably won't be able to follow the majority of your patients through pre-surgical screening, surgery, through PT and finally back to you all brand-spanking new. It's a great goal, but one you likely won't be able to follow through with due to time/job constraints and duties.

I know many ortho's who own their own PT clinics, so that may be your best option. In fact, I'd recommend it if you want total control over your patients.

Keep me informed on your progress. I was thinking ortho too, but fell in love with radiology. PT has helped tremendously. I didn't think I wanted to do medicine, but eventually came to realize that is were I really wanted to be.

Good luck.

8. Elbrus

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    ericdopt,
    Interesting you would suggest a referral-for-profit senerio as former PT (I assume) and as someone headed into radiology. As a PT, I am certainly against this type of practice arrangement. Aren't radiologists being negatively impacted by Stark regulation issues? Or did Stark III somehow change how this is impacting this specialty as well.

9. superCOTA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    In NY, there are Ortho's who run clinics as well. Can't speak for the law but they are around...

I agree w/ the above stated...skip PT and go for the Ortho.

10. Jhon

Rehab Sci Student
    Hello i have finished PTA (assistant in phyisiotherapy) but now i would like to be a diploma in physiotherapy. Please give me an information that where i can do it by free with internet.

11. Bad0 Fish0

2+ Year Member

a free physical therapy degree via the internet? LMAO.... or free information?

12. superCOTA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    if you call it phisotherapy, you didnt get your PTA

13. PTapp

PTapp DPT
    2+ Year Member

DPT / OTD
    i just hope that he didn't mean it that way. :D

14. PTapp

PTapp DPT
    2+ Year Member

DPT / OTD
    I think now you should learn the English language a little better before you do your doctorate.

15. dicek

7+ Year Member

Agree with this post. Go to medical school if that is what you want to do. You wont have much time for follow-up/follow through in PT. That is not practical. The degree might have some advantages with regards to marketing but ultimately you will be working 80+ hours for some time until your estabilished so you really wont have much time or energy for much else. If you think that 100 hours a week is not bad. Try it out for a month. If you're still going strong your tougher than me.

Regards to anatomy: you have to repeat it. And no, anatomy does not last through fall and spring unless you consider neuro separate from anatomy or your at a carib./european school which I am not familiar with. However, it is a bit longer than PT school. But it does depend on where you go to school. Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore PT program is in the medical school so there is some overlap and not a huge difference.

I determined I wanted to go to Medical School at some point during my second year so I did not have much left. If you already know, get a research assistant job at a medical school, study for MCATs and go for it. Three years is a long time.

Good luck