Physical Therapist H1b

Started by Neha1984
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Neha1984

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I have successfully completed NPTE and I am now a licensed PT in state of WA. However, I am on H4 visa and need authorization to work in the United States. The H1B quota for 2013 (for-profit) has reached its cap. So I am looking at non profit sectors. I am preferably looking for permanent positions and not travel PT positions. Does anyone have any suggestions?
 
Hi Neha..it seems it has been quite some time since you posted this. Could you share how you proceeded thereafter ? Same boat.
 
Hospitals? I worked as a research assistant at Mass General Hospital, and my H1b was cap-exempt - though idk how it works for clinicians.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hospitals? I worked as a research assistant at Mass General Hospital, and my H1b was cap-exempt - though idk how it works for clinicians.

Good for you! I guess cap-exempt is not easy to come by. How did you go about it. ?

Does it also involve a couple of years' contract?

Thanks.
 
Good for you! I guess cap-exempt is not easy to come by. How did you go about it. ?

Does it also involve a couple of years' contract?

Thanks.
At-will, no contract. I quit after 2 years and now am working at Rockefeller University, which is also cap-exempt. But a lab assistant job isn't hard to come by.
I just figured that since most (all?) hospitals and academia qualify as nonprofit, you may want to look there - I dunno, acute or inpatient rehab maybe? Being foreign sucks, not looking forward to this in a couple years' time D:
 
At-will, no contract. I quit after 2 years and now am working at Rockefeller University, which is also cap-exempt. But a lab assistant job isn't hard to come by.
I just figured that since most (all?) hospitals and academia qualify as nonprofit, you may want to look there - I dunno, acute or inpatient rehab maybe? Being foreign sucks, not looking forward to this in a couple years' time D:

Sucks big time man ! Big time

Thanks for your advice.
Am looking at the NY license for Physical Therapist for now. Caught up in the bureaucratic mess.
Thanks!