Physical Therapist Health Risks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Earlsimpson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the health risks of bloodborne pathogens as well as other illnesses realistic in the realm of practicing physical therapy?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, especially in any IP setting. That’s why it’s important to follow iso precautions and wash your hands regularly.

Yes...one of classmates had gotten bitten by a TBI during her clinical. Like broke the skin, could see the entire mark, bite. While we don't always directly deal with blood there is possibility of being exposed. Such as skin tears, I once had a pt 1 day post op with an external fixator that was dripping blood from one of the rod sites, wound care, etc.

PT's also tend to have a high number of musculoskeletal injuries due to overuse or from a 1 time unfortunate event. My coworker broke her wrist to prevent a fall. Some patients are very resistive or heavy during transfers and the risk of injuring yourself is high, especially with years of this repetitive movement. And it isn't just IP with transfers but OP tends to overuse their hands and wrists, depending on how manual they are. One study found that up to 91% of PTs experience work related musculoskeletal disorders and pain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, especially in any IP setting. That’s why it’s important to follow iso precautions and wash your hands regularly.
This appears to sound like risk of things like HIV/HEP transmission is high from patient to PT. Surely this is a rare occurrence correct?

Are the health risks of bloodborne pathogens as well as other illnesses realistic in the realm of practicing physical therapy?

I would say that transmission of a blood borne pathogen from a patient is possible but not probable. Especially if you're following universal precautions.