Physical Therapist or Physical Therapist Assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AimfortheBrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking of pursuing physical therapy, but I'm extremely wary of being $100k in student loan debt (I have about 20k from my bachelors degree). I'm also worried about the amount of money that I would miss out on from being in school for three more years and not being able to work. I just graduated with my bachelors degree so I haven't even really started my life yet and the thought of going another 3-4 years without a real job/salary is very scary. Because of all of this, I was thinking that becoming a Physical Therapy Assistant might be a better idea. It will be a fraction of the cost, probably half the amount of time, and from what I have read the salary is still pretty decent.

I really don't want to sell myself short though. I'm only 23, and I have always been an overachiever and an excellent student. I am the first person in my family to graduate from college and my family tells me that I am smart enough to do anything I want to in life. I really believe that I could do well in physical therapy school, but it seems extremely overwhelming and like I'd really have to put my life on hold for it.

Overall, I'm mainly concerned about two things:

1. Would becoming a PTA being selling myself short? Is being a PTA a job where you just do what you're told, or is it a good career for someone who likes to think and be creative and proactive?

2. Is becoming a PT worth the extreme amount of money that it costs? Essentially, is there a good return on the investment and are most people able to pay back their loans or at least not have them ruin their life?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have been thinking of pursuing physical therapy, but I'm extremely wary of being $100k in student loan debt (I have about 20k from my bachelors degree). I'm also worried about the amount of money that I would miss out on from being in school for three more years and not being able to work. I just graduated with my bachelors degree so I haven't even really started my life yet and the thought of going another 3-4 years without a real job/salary is very scary. Because of all of this, I was thinking that becoming a Physical Therapy Assistant might be a better idea. It will be a fraction of the cost, probably half the amount of time, and from what I have read the salary is still pretty decent.

I really don't want to sell myself short though. I'm only 23, and I have always been an overachiever and an excellent student. I am the first person in my family to graduate from college and my family tells me that I am smart enough to do anything I want to in life. I really believe that I could do well in physical therapy school, but it seems extremely overwhelming and like I'd really have to put my life on hold for it.

Overall, I'm mainly concerned about two things:

1. Would becoming a PTA being selling myself short? Is being a PTA a job where you just do what you're told, or is it a good career for someone who likes to think and be creative and proactive?

2. Is becoming a PT worth the extreme amount of money that it costs? Essentially, is there a good return on the investment and are most people able to pay back their loans or at least not have them ruin their life?

The large majority of us have had the same thoughts go through our minds during our whole "what do I do after college" phase. Although our choices and decisions are distinct and unique to our own situations, it is important to keep in mind what it is you truly wish to do. I understand quite well the daunting financial burden that will ensue if you do decide to go get your DPT. It's with any other healthcare doctoring profession, whether it be MD, PharmD, DDS, DPT, etc.

If you KNOW well that you are able to succeed in PT school, then go to PT school. You will only regret it if you go to PTA school, graduate, work for a while, and eventually find it lacking. It's quite devastating. Then you finally decide to attend PT school, during which you'll repeat the process all over again, except now, not only did you spend time and money on PTA school, but also you'll have to spend more time and more money to get through PT school and become a PT. PTA credits do not transfer to PT schools unfortunately.

Being a PTA is great from the PTAs I've interacted and spoken with during observations, clinicals, and during the state physical therapy association meetings. However, the PTAs scope of practice is quite limited compared to a PTs scope. The job allows for some extent of creativity and some sense of independence in terms of treatment, but again, a PTA can only be so creative within his or her scope of practice. The PT examines, evaluates, diagnoses, comes up with a PT POC, and can administer that plan or give it to a PTA to complete under that PT's supervision. The PT may ask for a PTAs input, but in the end, it's the PTs call. So, think about how independent you want to be, and what you want to be able to do.

Not all schools cost >$100k to attend for 3 years. There are plenty of schools out there for much less. Just do a little research. I don't know if you're in Texas or if you have family in Texas, but the average tuition here for all three years of PT school is about $30-35k.

When you do start working and earning some dough, the average starting salary of PTs ranges from $47,719 - $69,858 (<1 year of experience) and $49,542 - $74,685 (1-4 years of experience) and can increase to more than $100k with experience. Many factors contribute to these numbers, including geography, work setting, and what field of PT. So, as you can see, a PT can easily--relatively speaking--pay off their loans within a few years. I can't speak for the SPTs that decided to attend $150k schools and such for their DPT... I'm sure they have a plan to pay off their debt, or I doubt they would have just plunged into the Mariana Trench with the Titanic shackled to their ankles.

So, in short. If you have the ability to become a PT, go for it. Don't lower your sights and just settle. People tend to become unhappy and don't become as effective of clinicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are very interested in the profession, I would go the DPT route at a CHEAP school!! No one has a crystal ball about where the healthcare landscape will be in 3-5 years, but things WILL change. If cuts have to be made in the rehabilitation arena, PTAs may likely see the first brunt of it.

So do the DPT route, but I urge you to do it at a cheap institution!

If you think your only obstacle is the debt you will accumulate, then go for the DPT. Do NOT let the money get ahead of your passion! I have said this plenty of times before, and I will say it again. This is an amazing profession with a fairly good salary (even more if you do traveling), so you will not have such a hard time paying off your loans. Of course, if you can find a cheap school, go for it, but still follow your passion! Good luck!

I'm a PTA and for now I love what I do. Even though it's a 2 year degree it's very intense and 90% of my former class had their bachelors in related fields, the problem with going to a DPT program is a year longer and the cost is a bit scary. I would suggest you way the benefits to being a PT/PTA. As a PTA you do have to be a critical thinker as well as know how to effectively assess who you're treating just in case you do need to bring the supervising PT on board. PTAs do learn all the special test to be able to assess a patient but as far as evaluating, diagnosing and making the POC that is for the PTs. We are trained to diagnose but that's mostly because we need to know how to to refer them back to the PT or refer them to a PCP. The PTA career is headed toward becoming a bachelors degree which I don't know why it isn't already. I feel it won't make us any better or worse at what we know.

Either choice you make I feel like you'll be happy with it. Don't sell yourself short if you want to do DPT vs. PTA both play a vital role to patient care. Best of luck with your choice and future