Physical Therapy DPT - Pre-requisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPSKYS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter where you take your prerequisites? I have an undergrad degree in PoliSci and need to go back to school to complete all pre-reqs before I can apply to a DPT. I do not want to break the bank to get those credits, but i also do not want to risk taking them at a school that will be looked down upon when it comes to the admissions process. I was thinking of completing them at CUNY Hunter or the College of Staten Island. Any thoughts on what I should do? thank you in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine there would be a problem with taking the classes at either of those schools. I don't know much about Staten Island but Hunter is pretty well known, around the northeast at least. At the moment that's my #1 choice as a school to get my DPT from so I'm sure their undergrad is good enough.

If you search Hunter around the SDN forums you will find that people are very pleased with the education they recieved there, even if they previously attended an ivy. I believe the threads are a few years old but i think they still apply.

I received my undergrad degree at Hunter and was pleased with the education that i received, but it is good to hear that those that have gone ivy are still happy with the graduate programs there. I was just concerned b/c I know that many people look down on city schools just b/c they are city schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well then you would know about that better than I would. If you feel that way then there may be a reason for it, I've only heard good things about Hunter and know of several students that chose Hunter over NYU, Columbia, and Yale for their undergraduate. Hopefully someone else here can answer, I can't imagine it would be looked down upon though.

I think most schools understand trying to be cost effective, they look down upon things like obviously leaving hard classes for "easier" schools. But if it is ever a worry just do the best you possibly can at an "easier" school.

Are you looking to attend Hunter for your DPT as well?

I am considering Hunter for my DPT, but would really like to get into NYU or Columbia.