Physical therapy fields. Salary and recommendations please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PTAstudent510

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I will be graduating from a PTA school next year and I need some recommendations on choosing my field.
1)I also was wondering if you guys knew which field pays a lot? I really have no clue so far, and I am very very uneducated. I am starting my internships soon and I need to choose my field soon.

I currently signed up for inpatient acute, which i think is like Kaiser Permanente and Sutter hospital jobs. I was really sick when I was a child and i underwent 3 surgeries, and I really got to know my doctor pretty well. I look up to him very much, and we still keep in contact. That's why I wanted to work at a hospital setting.

I also heard that nursing facility and home cares get paid a lot also.

2)Which field is the best place to start to venture into different fields?
I was going to do hospital jobs for a while, maybe 5 years or so, and move onto nursing facility or home cares. Does this even make sense to switch fields like this?

3)Most importantly, are there almost no job availability in nursing facilities, inpatient acute, and home cares? Especially for a recent graduate?

Please enlighten me!! thank you all very much 🙂
4)Lastly, I am from california bay area, how much should I expect to get paid at my first job and 5 years or 10 years later? So I know how to negotiate. Thanks!! (I made my questions in bold)
 
Last edited:
1. Do some research on this, there are multiple posts on this topic or even a quick google search will bring up the salary ranges in your local area.
2. Not really sure what you want out of this question, its your life, you need to choose an area that YOU enjoy and want to work in. Not sure about PTA but in PT once you're licensed you can essentially work in any field that you want and switch if you choose to do so (yes a lot of people do end up specializing or sticking with one setting, but that does not mean that you absolutely have to).
3. Again do a google search for job listing in your area and see what is available, as you're out on your internship keep checking and seeing what they are requiring for employment (experience, etc.)
4. You're basically asking the same questions, get on google and look up the average pay rate for PTA, look for job postings and they may say starting salaries as well. Also it seems to me that you're very concerned with money, while yes we all need money to survive, maybe rethink this and see what you need to live/pay loans/have a life and be happy with that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Do some research on this, there are multiple posts on this topic or even a quick google search will bring up the salary ranges in your local area.
2. Not really sure what you want out of this question, its your life, you need to choose an area that YOU enjoy and want to work in. Not sure about PTA but in PT once you're licensed you can essentially work in any field that you want and switch if you choose to do so (yes a lot of people do end up specializing or sticking with one setting, but that does not mean that you absolutely have to).
3. Again do a google search for job listing in your area and see what is available, as you're out on your internship keep checking and seeing what they are requiring for employment (experience, etc.)
4. You're basically asking the same questions, get on google and look up the average pay rate for PTA, look for job postings and they may say starting salaries as well. Also it seems to me that you're very concerned with money, while yes we all need money to survive, maybe rethink this and see what you need to live/pay loans/have a life and be happy with that.

Nursing facility or Hospital jobs pay more? I googled a lot but they seem about the same. It says starting 60,000 inpatient jobs and 52,000 outpatient jobs.
Also could not find if it's easier to get nursing job or hospital job... thank you

ANY advice for a recent graduate will be welcome.. like which path to take to make the most money. And how to distinguish myself from other candidates, and land good jobs. How to land on inpatient jobs, instead of outpatient. my parents are not doing so well right now with their business (restaurant) and have tons of loans. They are getting old.. in their 60s, and I need to take care of them soon, and money is very important. Thank you again!
 
We don't tend to have PTAs on the PT boards here, so I wouldn't expect too much specific information. You might be better off searching for some resources that are more specific to PTAs.
 
If you want to land a job in an inpatient setting versus outpatient, you apply to inpatient exclusively... Also, if money is your primary concern, you should have went to nursing school. Rehab is not where the $ is. Talk to your school to see if they have upcoming career fairs or placement opportunities. Make a good impression on your clinical affiliations for references.
 
Last edited:
Also, if money is your primary concern, you should have went to nursing school. Rehab is not where the $ is.

Do you think RNs with the same amount of education as a PTA (associates degree) make more than PTAs? I don't really know much about what RNs make as it seems like it can vary really widely based on a number of factors.
 
Do you think RNs with the same amount of education as a PTA (associates degree) make more than PTAs? I don't really know much about what RNs make as it seems like it can vary really widely based on a number of factors.

In the SF Bay Area, where he and I are from, RNs make pretty decent $. More $ than PT's. Mostly thanks to a stronger state nursing association. There is very little difference in pay between a 2-year RN or BSN. I find that the pay differential is usually due to how nursing schedules/hour requirements work, i.e. 12 on/off 3-4 days a week rotating, night/weekend differential and OT pay. RNs also have the opportunity to be in regulatory fields for pharmaceuticals/ clinical trials.
 
Also, if money is your primary concern, you should have went to nursing school. Rehab is not where the $ is. .

It simply amazes me how many people join this profession without researching entry-level salary. They get to school and then realize they can expect to make between $60-65k as an entry-level DPT. Do your research, people!

You can have a comfortable lifestyle as a PT, but you're certainly not going to be rich. If you want to be rich, go to dental school.