Physical therapy under one roof

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuropathic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If money is not an issue, I think it is much easier to keep track of patients' progress and more convenient for some patients if the pain practice incorporate PT.

However, how many of you think this makes business sense nowadays? With decreasing reimbursement for their services, managed care and "high" out of pocket expenses for commercial insurances, I think it could be difficult to make this service very profitable in the practice. Appreciate your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

If money is not an issue, I think it is much easier to keep track of patients' progress and more convenient for some patients if the pain practice incorporate PT.

However, how many of you think this makes business sense nowadays? With decreasing reimbursement for their services, managed care and "high" out of pocket expenses for commercial insurances, I think it could be difficult to make this service very profitable in the practice. Appreciate your thoughts.

We have a large therapy dept, but also have 21 docs, on our way to 24 this year, many of them ortho. It makes us a lot of money. For a small clinic, it will be hard to generate enough income to make it profitable. I tried it in my solo practice many years ago, and barely broke even.

PT becomes more profitable the more useless modalities you do - heat, US, massage, etc. That's how the chiro clinics often make a fortune.

Also keep in mind in many states, DPTs are trying to make it illegal for physicians to own PT practices or employ PTs directly - they want complete autonomy.

We have a large therapy dept, but also have 21 docs, on our way to 24 this year, many of them ortho. It makes us a lot of money. For a small clinic, it will be hard to generate enough income to make it profitable. I tried it in my solo practice many years ago, and barely broke even.

PT becomes more profitable the more useless modalities you do - heat, US, massage, etc. That's how the chiro clinics often make a fortune.

Also keep in mind in many states, DPTs are trying to make it illegal for physicians to own PT practices or employ PTs directly - they want complete autonomy.

it can be profitable for a small clinic, but i think for a solo pain person, it might be tough, with two docs, you can make some money, and provide superior PT. Often times to make it financially worth it, PT is in some back room with limited resources, not the same pT at a slef standing location, but if you arent worrying about maximizing profit, and want to have GOOD PT, you have to spend more. With two docs, you can make a little money...we do. not a ton...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious but are there any Stark Act issues with this?

Just curious but are there any Stark Act issues with this?

not if you do it properly and legally and consult a health care attorney.
It is legal in most states and it is good medicine if done carefully and properly.

If therapy is part of your practice, it is part of your practice. You attorney needed. Stark is if you refer to a separate entity that you also own. I could have an MRI as part of my practice and not have a problem. Now if I refer to XYZ Imaging, which I own and don't disclose, that is a violation.

Out west PT's are 'free range' they don't like to be employees. So rent them space and see how it goes.

resurrect this thread and see if anyone here hiring a PT for private practice.

i'm thinking about bringing a PT in-house and pay an hourly rate. not sure how I go about billing...does PT need to be credentialed? Do I need to have assignment of benefit from PT to bill for PT services under my s-corp medical practice?