Physical Therapy vs Occupational Therapy

Started by ragger33
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ragger33

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
If I'm interested in working with paraplegic people, which field should I go-into? Physical Therapy or Occupational Therapy? Basically, I'm also done with my business degree, and I volunteered to help-out a teenage paraplegic this year-- and I absolutely fell in love with the guy and helping him out. I'm thinking about switching future careers, but I don't really know so much about either Physical Therapy or Occupational Therapy. As of now, I help him get dressed a little in the morning (by putting-on his pants and shoes) and at night after he takes a shower, help him get set-up in his bed to get ready to go to sleep, and carry him on and off the bus when traveling. Which field should I be more interested in? What kind of activities would a Physical Therapist do with a paraplegic, and what kind of activities would a Occupational Therapist do with a paraplegic? Thanks for the direction guys.
 
Simply stated PT's focus more on strengthening, range of motion, improving balance, etc. OT's focus more on life's daily tasks-- getting breakfast, dressing, grocery shopping, etc.

I once heard - PT's fix 'em up and OT's fine tune 'em.