Physician Assistant pursuing MBA (Healthcare Management)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torshi

Squirrel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical:
If one practiced medicine for 2 years and completed a reputable, regional MBA program, specializing in healthcare management, what sort of entry-level position could one get in hospital administration (w/ only 2 yrs clinical exp + possibly HC mgmt internship)?
Or would it be better to go into corporate rather than administration within the healthcare organization after an MBA program?

The program will be located near a large healthcare network HQ'ed in the same city
I know HCA (hospital corp of America)- another large healthcare network has a COO leadership program, but, considering once again that I'll have only clinical experience, what type of entry lvl position could I expect, is it possible to enter into such a leadership program right after graduation, and for how long till I could possibly climb the ladder to COO on average across the healthcare spectrum? (Associate Admin -> Admin --> COO --> CEO?) Not sure the process etc.
Anyone have insight into the healthcare administration ladder, I'd extremely appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello, just found this old thread (very old), so I don't know what you decided about this but thought this comment might help others. I started out to be a P.A. and decided to go with an MBA in Health care administration (HCA). I graduate in seven weeks. I did a lot of research about entry-level positions, and found people working in a totally different area of administration than I want. I spent enough years training and becoming a Secretary, so I am not interested in that after spending so much money and working so hard to get my undergrad and now MBA. There is a very wide variance in entry-level salaries for MBA's with an HCA online, and most of the people I know (just from my private university) have worked in the medical field in some capacity, as it sounds like you have , and the MBA has enabled them to get promoted at their company.

This is interesting indeed. As someone with MBA but not in admin ladder, most people I know either is planning on going full admin or is climbing the ladder within their own dept and making the transition later. In other words, they're willing to take the pay cut to go full time administrator and usually has something set up from their home institution, or their own department is already grooming them to be their administrator and later in the line, they sometime will jump to hospital/ system wide administration.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man, oh man! All these years have passed since 2014...

I opted for PA school over medical school when I graduated, and worked for a few years; then, I completed an MBA and moved to NYC, where I now work as a biotech investment banker

Oh man, oh man! All these years have passed since 2014...

I opted for PA school over medical school when I graduated, and worked for a few years; then, I completed an MBA and moved to NYC, where I now work as a biotech investment banker
What is a biotech investment banker?

What is a biotech investment banker?
Essentially, a biotech investment banker plays a crucial role in connecting biotech companies with the funding and financial strategies they require to grow and succeed:
  1. Mergers & Acquisitions: e.g., Pfizer acquiring Seagen for $43 billion - In $43B buy, Seagen courted Pfizer and played the waiting game (fiercepharma.com) or some clinical-stage company merger... Selecta Biosciences Announces Merger with Cartesian Therapeutics | BioSpace

2. Asset Sales (companies selling a therapeutic and not the company) = Basilea announces acquisition of fosmanogepix, a phase-3-ready broad-spectrum antifungal | BioSpace

3. Spin-Outs/Carvouts: e.g., J&J spinning out its consumer health division = J&J's Kenvue spinoff provides $13.2B in M&A firepower (fiercepharma.com)

4. In- and Out-licensing/Corporate Partnering of a therapeutic = The top 15 biopharma licensing deals of 2020 | Fierce Biotech

5. Private Placements; assisting in raising capital for early- to mid-stage biotech companies to push along clinical development or commercial growth = Fierce Biotech Fundraising Tracker '23

6. Capital Markets (public markets) = assisting a company go 'public' aka an IPO, or follow-on offerings = Fortress Biotech Announces Pricing of $10.0 Million Public Offering | BioSpace

My work surrounded numbers 1-5 (excluding capital markets), plus scientific due diligence and reading publications, clinical trials, etc given my clinical background compared to most bankers who are just straight business.. Your day-to-day tasks include back-to-back meetings with C-level executives (clients and counterparties), creating a pitch deck for your client's company that drives the story or "pitch", performing financial valuations of the company's assets or overall value, which normally requires 5-10+ year projections of a therapeutics sales forecast and operational income, etc. Also, you would be responsible for creating a target list of potential buyers or investors, and presenting the pitch to the targeted counterparties. This could involve investors if you're seeking to raise capital, or larger corporations if it's a combination of raising capital, as well as company/asset sales, licensing, and corporate partnerships/joint ventures, etc.

In the biotech/pharma world, many biotech bankers, after spending 2-4 years in investment banking, move laterally to venture capital or private equity (growth equity), where they become investors interested in investing in early- to mid-stage companies. In this role, you would need to develop relationships with the investment bankers to inquire further about projects that they're working on... With that being said, now, you find yourself on the other side, commonly referred to as the "buy-side" or "investor-side."

Last edited:
Essentially, a biotech investment banker plays a crucial role in connecting biotech companies with the funding and financial strategies they require to grow and succeed:
  1. Mergers & Acquisitions: e.g., Pfizer acquiring Seagen for $42 billion - In $43B buy, Seagen courted Pfizer and played the waiting game (fiercepharma.com) or some clinical-stage company merger... Selecta Biosciences Announces Merger with Cartesian Therapeutics | BioSpace

2. Asset Sales (companies selling a therapeutic and not the company) = Basilea announces acquisition of fosmanogepix, a phase-3-ready broad-spectrum antifungal | BioSpace

3. Spin-Outs/Carvouts: e.g., J&J spinning out its consumer health division = J&J's Kenvue spinoff provides $13.2B in M&A firepower (fiercepharma.com)

4. In- and Out-licensing/Corporate Partnering of a therapeutic = The top 15 biopharma licensing deals of 2020 | Fierce Biotech

5. Private Placements; assisting in raising capital for early- to mid-stage biotech companies to push along clinical development or commercial growth = Fierce Biotech Fundraising Tracker '23

6. Capital Markets (public markets) = assisting a company go 'public' aka an IPO, or follow-on offerings = Fortress Biotech Announces Pricing of $10.0 Million Public Offering | BioSpace

My work surrounded numbers 1-5 (excluding capital markets), plus scientific due diligence and reading publications, clinical trials, etc given my clinical background compared to most bankers who are just straight business.. Your day-to-day tasks include back-to-back meetings with C-level executives (clients and counterparties), creating a pitch deck for your client's company that drives the story or "pitch", performing financial valuations of the company's assets or overall value, which normally requires 5-10+ year projections of a therapeutics sales forecast and operational income, etc. Also, you would be responsible for creating a target list of potential buyers or investors, and presenting the pitch to the targeted counterparties. This could involve investors if you're seeking to raise capital, or larger corporations if it's a combination of raising capital, as well as sales, licensing, and partnerships, etc.

In the biotech/pharma world, many bankers, after spending 2-4 years as an investment banker, move laterally to venture capital, where they become investors interested in investing in early- to mid-stage companies. In this role, you would need to develop relationships with investment bankers to inquire further about opportunities. Now, you find yourself on the other side, commonly referred to as the "buy-side" or "investor side."
Dude that's quite fascinating! Would love to chat more about this! can I pm you?

1. Mergers & Acquisitions: e.g., Pfizer acquiring Seagen for $43 billion - In $43B buy, Seagen courted Pfizer and played the waiting game (fiercepharma.com) or some clinical-stage company merger... Selecta Biosciences Announces Merger with Cartesian Therapeutics | BioSpace

My work surrounded numbers 1-5 (excluding capital markets), plus scientific due diligence and reading publications, clinical trials, etc given my clinical background compared to most bankers who are just straight business.. Your day-to-day tasks include back-to-back meetings with C-level executives (clients and counterparties), creating a pitch deck for your client's company that drives the story or "pitch", performing financial valuations of the company's assets or overall value, which normally requires 5-10+ year projections of a therapeutics sales forecast and operational income, etc. Also, you would be responsible for creating a target list of potential buyers or investors, and presenting the pitch to the targeted counterparties. This could involve investors if you're seeking to raise capital, or larger corporations if it's a combination of raising capital, as well as company/asset sales, licensing, and corporate partnerships/joint ventures, etc.

In the biotech/pharma world, many biotech bankers, after spending 2-4 years in investment banking, move laterally to venture capital or private equity (growth equity), where they become investors interested in investing in early- to mid-stage companies. In this role, you would need to develop relationships with the investment bankers to inquire further about projects that they're working on... With that being said, now, you find yourself on the other side, commonly referred to as the "buy-side" or "investor-side."
Do they make good coin?