Physician Assistant vs Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miz1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am confused wether I go to PA school or Medical School and thought of getting some opinions from people who have been to Medical School or PA school.

I have taken the GRE and I am also shadowing a PA at one of the hospitals (in the ER) in Miami. I am currently taking premed courses to get into PA school but almost everyone (mainly my science classes professors) is encouraging me to go to Medical School instead. I always wanted to be a doctor and my big mistake was that I got my Bachelors in Business Finance and I now regret it. I was working 3 years as a management consultant and each single day I felt miserable and I always said to myself that I should have pursued what I really love (medicine).

I am 26 + and I am afraid that it is going to take me a while to graduate as an MD. If I pursue PA, I will graduate in 2018 whereas if I go to medical school I will graduate in 2021. The only concern is that financially it is really going to be hard for me not making money until 2021. I am really confused and I hope you guys could share some of your experience with me. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I am confused wether I go to PA school or Medical School and thought of getting some opinions from people who have been to Medical School or PA school.

I have taken the GRE and I am also shadowing a PA at one of the hospitals (in the ER) in Miami. I am currently taking premed courses to get into PA school but almost everyone (mainly my science classes professors) is encouraging me to go to Medical School instead. I always wanted to be a doctor and my big mistake was that I got my Bachelors in Business Finance and I now regret it. I was working 3 years as a management consultant and each single day I felt miserable and I always said to myself that I should have pursued what I really love (medicine).

I am 26 + and I am afraid that it is going to take me a while to graduate as an MD. If I pursue PA, I will graduate in 2018 whereas if I go to medical school I will graduate in 2021. The only concern is that financially it is really going to be hard for me not making money until 2021. I am really confused and I hope you guys could share some of your experience with me. Thank you.
Hey, don't kick yourself about majoring in finance, man. You are not the only one here who is pursuing to become a doctor in their mid 20s. Will you be happy doing what a PA does or do you want to do more than that? Remember, PA = forever resident. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have not done either. Just wanted to encourage you on your path.

Life can be hard. See how your situation is and get advise on your particula circumstances.

For me, I did not know about midlevels or much about medicine when I decided to change careers. However even finding about them and acknowledging that there are many great option, I still decided to do the premeditated and apply for medicine. My wife and I will both give up our income, home, and doing it with little ones. Yet we feel it is the right choice for us.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would still be in your 30's when you start working, and have at least 25 years to work.

Someday, no matter what path you choose, you're going to wake up and be 40... might as well wake up doing what you love.

Reactions: 4 users
Based on your post it doesn't seem like you really know what you want, either. You listed somewhat superficial and short-sighted differences in the two paths. Do some more soul-searching, get some more clinical experiences, and try and figure out what is most compatible with your interests and goals. While the two pathways share some vague similarities, they're different in terms of long-term career options, the training pathways, and the overall goal of the training.

People seem to always focus on the date at which they get their degree -- as if life before that point ceases to exist, when in fact, it does not. So you wouldn't graduate until 2021. So what? You'll be in medical school, then in residency instead of in PA school and your first few years as a PA. It's still living, and still a really good life.

Would you rather be a PA for 35 years? Or an MD for 30? That's the question you need to answer.

Reactions: 9 users
No reason to regret getting a degree outside of the traditional sciences. I have a degree in Public Admin, and never even really used it, I have been a paramedic for quite a while though. But as everyone else has pointed out, gain some exposure to both fields and decide whats best for you.

Definitely a tough decision. Many of us who go into med school do it blindly and never truly consider other options, but I think PA and other jobs in medicine may sometimes be a better fit for some of the people I know who end up regretting being doctors. Keep in mind that if you go to med school (I assume you'll be taking loans), that you won't really be making money in 2021. You will be starting residency with a huge amount of debt that is accruing up and making a measly salary compared to your 8 years of schooling. Basically, you'll probably be living with a similar budget between med school and residency, and you won't really see a substantial change until 2024-28. Also, medicine is a lot less forgiving about having to move around. If you have a family, you may have to uproot them to a different state when it comes time to start med school and/or residency.

However, an MD will offer you more ways to take your career in the long run. I agree with posters above that you should get out and shadow people. It's a big decision, and I think you need more experience with people in their actual jobs to learn from.

Hey guys I wanted to get your opinion as I just started looking at possibly pursuing PA school rather than med school, which is what I've been busting my ass for for so many years. I'm trying to make a decision, but am weighing out the pros/cons. Here's my situation:

I'm 28 years old and plan on applying to med school this July, so I'd start med school at age 29, finish by 33, and not finish residency till 37-38 (old!). I received my B.A. in Psychology from CSUN back in 2013, and along that journey decided I don't want to be a therapist. Before that however, when I first started college, I thought for sure I want to be a psychologist (Masters/doctorate degree) and practice, but changed my mind due to not wanting to listen to peoples problems. I then said I'll do medical school but then got discouraged in my 2nd year of classes by these two guys who told me about all the difficult courses I'd need to take to become a doctor. At that point I said screw it, I'll do something like chiropractor/physical therapist, but starting is only 70-80 k which is much less than what I want to make for the years I put into school. However, I started taking classes that would fulfill some requirements for these careers but wasn't satisfied with the salary. I then started CSUN and did psych major, got my B.A. as I said, and then said maybe i'll do pharmacy. I tried to avoid all the hard sciences and still wanted to make big money, but realized that there's no way around them.

I then decided upon graduating that I should be a doctor, and I'm not interested in pharmacy. The thing that brought me back to this field though is the money. I mean I don't hate medicine/the sciences, but I also don't love it/have a passion for it (like most people who are doctors). It's not bad overall, but I don't love it you know, I don't mind it, but I had no interest in any of the pre-med school courses (physics, chemistry, bio was okay). Anyways, since I changed my mind a few times, it took me 9 years and 3 months to get an associates,bachelors, and do all my med school pre-req courses. In that time I wasted 3 years or so because of uncertainty. I also do volunteer work at UCLA (2.7 years), Kaiser (almost 3.5 years), and at a hospice for about 2.7 years. I like working with people and I'm good at it, but I don't love it. Moreover, now that it's time to study for the MCAT, I find myself questioning things and if I've been this miserable just getting through these pre-reqs, If I should dedicate another 4 years to be a doctor, and then on top of that another 4 year residency for neurology (or radiology--5 years), which by the way is one of the lowest paid specialties (ranked 16th/22), with an entry level salary of 180k (vs. radiology ~350k).

When looking at PA versus Med school, I see it like this:

1. Schooling is 24-27 months versus 4 years of med school.
2. No residency, versus med school. **These 2 points alone save you 6 years of your life and you wouldn't be giving up on opportunity costs**
3. Less debt when you graduate
4. School isn't as hard to get into/training is a bit easier
5. Entry level salary for graduate is anywhere from 83-90k (hopefully the higher end) vs residency (3-7 years) where you get paid 30-55k, but obviously later you get paid more than a PA.
6. Now correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but PA can do a specialty in let's say radiology, which would require another 1-2 years of fellowship? This specialty can rake in 150k, or dermatology, which can make 130k, which isn't bad.
7. You're not on call as often/at all (correct or no)? Not working weekends/nights as often
8. More of a life for family, friends, or going out outside of work
9. No need to take the MCAT, you take GRE instead, which is slightly easier I'd imagine.

These are some of the more obvious points (positive ones). I look at it from a financial standpoint/time standpoint. I save time and money going down the PA route but am wondering if I busted my ass for so many years, if I should just become an MD, but I don't want to be miserable. If I do radiology (diagnostic) which I find cool because you don't work with as many patients and they're one of the top paying specialties, as well as you have more flexibility, I can make starting 330-350 k, BUT that's after 4 years of med school and a 5 year residency. I've shadowed a physician already and had him write me a letter of recommendation, as well as other professors who are working on my letter as of now.

If you guys were in my position, what would be your advice, and what do you think based off of this description I've given you, would be the smarter choice? If you have any ?s you want to ask me that will better help you help me, please ask!

Thank you very much!

The fact that you are even asking this question means one thing- not med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys I wanted to get your opinion as I just started looking at possibly pursuing PA school rather than med school, which is what I've been busting my ass for for so many years. I'm trying to make a decision, but am weighing out the pros/cons. Here's my situation:

I'm 28 years old and plan on applying to med school this July, so I'd start med school at age 29, finish by 33, and not finish residency till 37-38 (old!). I received my B.A. in Psychology from CSUN back in 2013, and along that journey decided I don't want to be a therapist. Before that however, when I first started college, I thought for sure I want to be a psychologist (Masters/doctorate degree) and practice, but changed my mind due to not wanting to listen to peoples problems. I then said I'll do medical school but then got discouraged in my 2nd year of classes by these two guys who told me about all the difficult courses I'd need to take to become a doctor. At that point I said screw it, I'll do something like chiropractor/physical therapist, but starting is only 70-80 k which is much less than what I want to make for the years I put into school. However, I started taking classes that would fulfill some requirements for these careers but wasn't satisfied with the salary. I then started CSUN and did psych major, got my B.A. as I said, and then said maybe i'll do pharmacy. I tried to avoid all the hard sciences and still wanted to make big money, but realized that there's no way around them.

I then decided upon graduating that I should be a doctor, and I'm not interested in pharmacy. The thing that brought me back to this field though is the money. I mean I don't hate medicine/the sciences, but I also don't love it/have a passion for it (like most people who are doctors). It's not bad overall, but I don't love it you know, I don't mind it, but I had no interest in any of the pre-med school courses (physics, chemistry, bio was okay). Anyways, since I changed my mind a few times, it took me 9 years and 3 months to get an associates,bachelors, and do all my med school pre-req courses. In that time I wasted 3 years or so because of uncertainty. I also do volunteer work at UCLA (2.7 years), Kaiser (almost 3.5 years), and at a hospice for about 2.7 years. I like working with people and I'm good at it, but I don't love it. Moreover, now that it's time to study for the MCAT, I find myself questioning things and if I've been this miserable just getting through these pre-reqs, If I should dedicate another 4 years to be a doctor, and then on top of that another 4 year residency for neurology (or radiology--5 years), which by the way is one of the lowest paid specialties (ranked 16th/22), with an entry level salary of 180k (vs. radiology ~350k).

2. No residency, versus med school. **These 2 points alone save you 6 years of your life and you wouldn't be giving up on opportunity costs**
5. Entry level salary for graduate is anywhere from 83-90k (hopefully the higher end) vs residency (3-7 years) where you get paid 30-55k, but obviously later you get paid more than a PA.
6. Now correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but PA can do a specialty in let's say radiology, which would require another 1-2 years of fellowship? This specialty can rake in 150k, or dermatology, which can make 130k, which isn't bad.
7. You're not on call as often/at all (correct or no)? Not working weekends/nights as often
9. No need to take the MCAT, you take GRE instead, which is slightly easier I'd imagine.

These are some of the more obvious points (positive ones). I look at it from a financial standpoint/time standpoint. I save time and money going down the PA route but am wondering if I busted my ass for so many years, if I should just become an MD, but I don't want to be miserable. If I do radiology (diagnostic) which I find cool because you don't work with as many patients and they're one of the top paying specialties, as well as you have more flexibility, I can make starting 330-350 k, BUT that's after 4 years of med school and a 5 year residency. I've shadowed a physician already and had him write me a letter of recommendation, as well as other professors who are working on my letter as of now.

If you guys were in my position, what would be your advice, and what do you think based off of this description I've given you, would be the smarter choice? If you have any ?s you want to ask me that will better help you help me, please ask!

Thank you very much!
Keep in mind is almost just as competitive to get into pa school versus md school. Few schools and many many applicants.

Also keep in mind that most PA students have like 4000 hours of clinical experience. A lot of the applicants are former nurses, etc. You may need to spend extra time building that profile, so add a couple more years to your expected length of time.

The fact that you are even asking this question means one thing- not med school.
A lot of us ask it at some point. I went back and forth on it for years, personally, eventually just ended up flipping a coin over it so I could stop stressing out.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Not really. I'm in the exact same boat as op. I won't even start until 29 if things go according to plan. It's a little different for someone who is 28-30 to be starting medical school vs someone who's 22. You would be foolish not to explore other options and consider everything.

I was interested in PA prior to medical school and still am. Probably go that route if medical school doesn't work out for whatever reason.

OP do you have the clinical hours necessary? I believe it's 2000 minimum.

Last edited:
Doktor Mom had a great response above

What I was getting at is med school sucks and residency is gonna suck even more. Knowing this is the only thing I would truly be happy doing is what gets me through it. If I would be happy being a PA I would've taken the easier/faster/cheaper way out in a heartbeat

Maybe that's just me, but I truly believe those *happy* in med school are the ones who can't imagine doing anything else

Im finishing my clinical rotations in med school. I think a lot of it comes down to lifestyle. A lot of the practicing PA's I interact with in the hospital are my same age. Some of them basically performed surgeries solo in the OR while I looked like an idiot trying to place a suture. They had so much useful experience. But hey I learned and forgot all the steps of the kreb cycle... hooray!! PAs have to jump through fewer hoops than physicians. Less tests, less abuse, less $$, less time, more direct training etc etc. Generally speaking of course.

It is a hard decision to make before you start your medical training even if you shadow. It is hard to emulate what years of hard work mixed with cold reality and age will do to your perspective and goals. Medicine is less and less glamorous day by day. Everyone is different but so many residents burn out and want nothing more than to simply work 9-5, get a paycheck, and go home to their wives, kids, hobbies, etc ... even if they thoroughly enjoy medicine.

On the flip side there are people who continue to be willing to invest so much energy into medicine. And also there are PA's who work like dogs and MDs that barely work....

I thought I was set on PA school, but I recently changed my mind back to medical school. I figured I'm putting so much energy into building a strong application I should just go MD. Yes, it's more time and money but I know I won't be happy being anything other than a doc.

I'm 24, will apply at age 26. Hopeful accepted at 27. Resident by 31, attending by 34/35. That's only 4 years behind the typical applicant. In the grand sceme of things, 4 years isn't really a lot.

There are a lot of people here on SDN that didn't start medical school until they were 29+.

Reactions: 2 users
Doktor Mom had a great response above

What I was getting at is med school sucks and residency is gonna suck even more. Knowing this is the only thing I would truly be happy doing is what gets me through it. If I would be happy being a PA I would've taken the easier/faster/cheaper way out in a heartbeat

Maybe that's just me, but I truly believe those *happy* in med school are the ones who can't imagine doing anything else
I think it's a trad/nontrad difference in this regard. As nontrads, myself and @ProspectiveKidd both know that there's other paths to take, because we've been living them. We've got lives already, and becoming a physician, well... That's disruptive. So you have to weigh, is the disruption worth the cost? Shorter paths are less disruptive, but less rewarding, so you end up doing a pain:benefit analysis. As a traditional student, you're often not giving up much- you're floating along the wind, you've just finished school and you can go anywhere, medical school is a continuation rather than a disruption. Questioning that continuation of your path will bring you nothing but misery, since you haven't done enough of the real world thing to not know that the grass isn't all that green no matter what side of the fence you land on. Idealism and putting the field on a pedestal can get you pretty far, but be wary- there's a reason almost half of physicians wouldn't choose medicine again as a career. A lot of that comes down to the disconnect between the puppies and rainbows many imagine and the paper, lawyers, and red tape reality.

Since I took a break to work a bit before getting back to school, I'll be around 37 by the time I'm attending. But hey the way I see it - I'd rather not regret not going after a crazy dream than to have played it safe and hated my career trajectory in 20 yrs.

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you very much!
Anytime I see anyone post versus posts and money/time pops up then you miss the entire essence of what is the difference between a physician and physician assistant is. "The thing that brought me back to this field though is the money" - this is absolutely hysterical. Why go through a minimum of 7 years of training to start at 180k/yr when you can go to an elite MBA program, graduate in two years, and make 250k+ as an associate and an unlimited amount as a partner at an international investment firm. There, I saved you 5 years with a higher starting salary with a much higher earning potential. If I was in your position I would sign up for business school. Sorry if this seems harsh but I believe someone needed to say it. I would rather work alongside those in the trenches with individuals who are here for purpose rather than monetary gain regardless whether they have MD, DO, PA, PT, DDS, DMD, *insert letters that in the end mean no difference here*.

Last edited:
Anytime I see anyone post versus posts and money/time pops up then you miss the entire essence of what is the difference between a physician and physician assistant is. "The thing that brought me back to this field though is the money" - this is absolutely hysterical. Why go through a minimum of 7 years of training to start at 180k/yr when you can go to an elite MBA program, graduate in two years, and make 250k+ as an associate and an unlimited amount as a partner at an international investment firm. There, I saved you 5 years with a higher starting salary with a much higher earning potential. If I was in your position I would sign up for business school. Sorry if this seems harsh but I believe someone needed to say it. I would rather work alongside those in the trenches with individuals who are here for purpose rather than monetary gain regardless whether they have MD, DO, PA, PT, DDS, DMD, *insert letters that in the end mean no difference here*.

Okay first off it's not like I'm only doing it for the money. I do have an interest in the sciences and do not have an interest in anything else such as business as you mentioned. Second of all if you pick a specialty such as radiology or anesthesiology you can start making over $300,000 out of residency which takes care of the 180 K issue you brought up. Third off I would have to go back and get a bachelors and a Masters degree in business which is much longer than two years I would imagine. Fourth off I have no interest in business, although everyone in my family is into business. I also don't have any interest in business and the only thing that I like our topics such as anatomy physiology neuroscience psychology, pharmacology. Stuff like that, which is why I find it near impossible and very vexing to go another route after 9 years of killing myself to get to where I am today.

Okay first off it's not like I'm only doing it for the money. I do have an interest in the sciences and do not have an interest in anything else such as business as you mentioned. Second of all if you pick a specialty such as radiology or anesthesiology you can start making over $300,000 out of residency which takes care of the 180 K issue you brought up. Third off I would have to go back and get a bachelors and a Masters degree in business which is much longer than two years I would imagine. Fourth off I have no interest in business, although everyone in my family is into business. I also don't have any interest in business and the only thing that I like our topics such as anatomy physiology neuroscience psychology, pharmacology. Stuff like that, which is why I find it near impossible and very vexing to go another route after 9 years of killing myself to get to where I am today.
You don't need a bachelors in business to get a MBA. I am focusing on your quote "the only thing that brought me back to this field is the money". Honestly that says it all. If you have an interest in the topics you listed, it shouldn't be a no brainer that you would pursue a medical degree. I was bothered by the quotation though. And business is a very general word. Business encompasses everything - you could do pharma business. Look you still make more. Btw those topics are wonderfully covered by scientists as well, but they probably "don't make enough" in your books. That is cool better to be honest about it :)

Im finishing my clinical rotations in med school. I think a lot of it comes down to lifestyle. A lot of the practicing PA's I interact with in the hospital are my same age. Some of them basically performed surgeries solo in the OR while I looked like an idiot trying to place a suture. They had so much useful experience. But hey I learned and forgot all the steps of the kreb cycle... hooray!! PAs have to jump through fewer hoops than physicians. Less tests, less abuse, less $$, less time, more direct training etc etc. Generally speaking of course.

It is a hard decision to make before you start your medical training even if you shadow. It is hard to emulate what years of hard work mixed with cold reality and age will do to your perspective and goals. Medicine is less and less glamorous day by day. Everyone is different but so many residents burn out and want nothing more than to simply work 9-5, get a paycheck, and go home to their wives, kids, hobbies, etc ... even if they thoroughly enjoy medicine.

On the flip side there are people who continue to be willing to invest so much energy into medicine. And also there are PA's who work like dogs and MDs that barely work....

?? Where are PAs performing surgery solo in the OR? That's illegal.

Keep in mind is almost just as competitive to get into pa school versus md school. Few schools and many many applicants.

Also keep in mind that most PA students have like 4000 hours of clinical experience. A lot of the applicants are former nurses, etc. You may need to spend extra time building that profile, so add a couple more years to your expected length of time.

Well across the three places I volunteer (UCLA Hospital, Kaiser, and hospice), I'd say I have over 1,000 hours total. My question is though since this is all volunteer work, versus being an RN, EMT, Phlebotomist, etc, do you think I could still get into a good PA school? That's the one thing I'm worried about, is having more "clinical" hours. None of it is paid, which some schools want.Please be as specific as you can!

Well across the three places I volunteer (UCLA Hospital, Kaiser, and hospice), I'd say I have over 1,000 hours total. My question is though since this is all volunteer work, versus being an RN, EMT, Phlebotomist, etc, do you think I could still get into a good PA school? That's the one thing I'm worried about, is having more "clinical" hours. None of it is paid, which some schools want.Please be as specific as you can!
Depends on the school. Some say volunteer counts. Stanford says it must be employment hours and even then they restrict what they count. Some schools even truncate the hours depending on the job (e.g. Working as an EMT for 8 hours a day may be calculated to 5 to account for the waiting around time - again Stanford is notorious for that). Researching each program is your best route from here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I thought I was set on PA school, but I recently changed my mind back to medical school. I figured I'm putting so much energy into building a strong application I should just go MD. Yes, it's more time and money but I know I won't be happy being anything other than a doc.

I'm 24, will apply at age 26. Hopeful accepted at 27. Resident by 31, attending by 34/35. That's only 4 years behind the typical applicant. In the grand sceme of things, 4 years isn't really a lot.

There are a lot of people here on SDN that didn't start medical school until they were 29+.

your post made me feel less old. thank you. ill be applying when I'm 26 too. I've been feeling bad but 4 years isn't really that far behind.

The problem with PA schools is their requirements for entry are so much less standardized than the med schools are. Some require direct hands on experience, some don't, some have a specific minimum hour requirement for that, some don't, some require the GRE, some don't, some will accept the MCAT in lieu of the GRE, many don't, etc. etc. You really have to research each and every school you are interested in to find out what they want.

Don't regret anything but sometimes I do wish I would have taken a harder look at PA. It's an enticing offer to be making that kinda cash by this point in my life and worry about a mountain of debt or the uncertainty of the match.

Hey, don't kick yourself about majoring in finance, man. You are not the only one here who is pursuing to become a doctor in their mid 20s. Will you be happy doing what a PA does or do you want to do more than that? Remember, PA = forever resident. lol

Yeah, PA = forever resident just like MD = 500K/yr, yacht, and $5M mansion. You're living in the 80's and times have changed my friend. Educate yourself on what PA's are actually doing and stop sounding ignorant.

Yeah, PA = forever resident just like MD = 500K/yr, yacht, and $5M mansion. You're living in the 80's and times have changed my friend. Educate yourself on what PA's are actually doing and stop sounding ignorant.

So rude, my feels.