Physician coach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miacomet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, has anyone ever gone to a physician coach? Useful or useless? I went to one and while she was super nice, she was useless. Would love to hear anyone's experiences!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, has anyone ever gone to a physician coach? Useful or useless? I went to one and while she was super nice, she was useless. Would love to hear anyone's experiences!
What were you hoping to get from her that you feel would’ve made it useful in your mind

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What were you hoping to get from her that you feel would’ve made it useful in your mind
I was hoping to make my life better and to find a nonclinical career. I guess improving my life (via coaching) and finding a nonclinical career would have made it better. But coaching didn't help with either of those, which was disappointing.

Reactions: 1 users
I think physician coaches are basically just life coaches that are geared towards physicians, usually because they’re a physician themselves. I wouldn’t think they’d be any help on transitioning to a non-clinical career.

Reactions: 3 users
I was hoping to make my life better and to find a nonclinical career. I guess improving my life (via coaching) and finding a nonclinical career would have made it better. But coaching didn't help with either of those, which was disappointing.

You improved her life

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Maybe they can help you become a physician coach?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I’ve used an executive coach. I felt it was worth every penny. Made huge changes in my life with the guidance.
Do I think you can do it alone? Yes. But you will probably take it seriously once you dole out money to somebody else to hold you accountable…..

Reactions: 1 user
You improved her life

Exactly this. It's like going to a therapist, the client ends up mentoring the coach/therapist half the time. My job paid as a CME thing, there was nothing else to spend it on in 2021!
And yes, much like EM, coaching is kind of a Ponzi scheme to become a coach....

I’ve used an executive coach. I felt it was worth every penny. Made huge changes in my life with the guidance.
Do I think you can do it alone? Yes. But you will probably take it seriously once you dole out money to somebody else to hold you accountable…..
Was this physician-specific? What did you learn/accomplish?

I'm curious what kind of changes you made. I have a negative view of coaches, speakers, wellness consultants, etc but I'm willing to have my mind changed.

Too expensive.

I got myself a coach through upwork. $20/hr.

Some very experienced life coaches in the 20-30 dollar an hour range.

If it were an EM version of Tony Robbins than maybe lol, otherwise gonna pass

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that in the same vein of the CMG telling you to do some yoga to the fix systemic "burnout/moral injury" that is system inflicted? Or something else? I've heard of them but I've always been skeptical.

I'm kind of a death coach, now that I think about it. But I don't think it's in the way you're implying.

Reactions: 2 users
Too expensive.

What do you use your coach for? Is this basically therapy?

What do you use your coach for? Is this basically therapy?

More coach. Goal setting. Accountability. But helps with mental health and career longevity as well.

Just started recently though only 2 weeks ago, but happy i did it, without breaking the bank

More coach. Goal setting. Accountability. But helps with mental health and career longevity as well.

Just started recently though only 2 weeks ago, but happy i did it, without breaking the bank
Would you mind giving a specific example please? I don’t mean to pry into your life but this concept sounds very interesting and affordable

Would you mind giving a specific example please? I don’t mean to pry into your life but this concept sounds very interesting and affordable

Upwork.com is a website where you can outsource tasks. There are plenty of talented, educated people on the other side of the world willing to do tasks for a better price point.

I personally felt that i needed help with two things: to be present in the moment - so when I’m with my daughter, I’m not watching tv or on my phone or watching the stock market - i need to be present and engaged and need help with realigning priorities. My home work for the week is to actually monitor and calculate the exact hours I’m spending on things like my phone and tv etc.

Next i need help with burn out. It’s no secret I’m burned out. Just look at my posts hahah. I think i need work on mindset, i am in a very very very blessed position, 34 year old, millionaire, making good money, financially stable, no major family health issues. Yet i can’t find 100 percent satisfaction and feel very burned out professionally. I need someone to reframe my thought process and be a constant reminder that life is actually pretty amazing.

So i wanted a coach. I don’t need a career coach, I’ve gotten my success professionally already. I needed a life coach. So instead of paying 5-10k a year, i went to upwork, posted a job, invited a lot of candidates who i felt would be a good fit, waited 24-48 hrs, had a pool of 30 bids on my project, then had a couple of conversations and eventually decided to work with a serbian woman who is finishing her phd in clinical psychology and has a masters in clinical psychology. I pay her $20/hr. We are doing weekly sessions. The upwork software has an area intheir messages section where you can create a zoom link - the zoom link automatically reports back to upwork the exact amount of time, and you get charged for it. If you use the zoom link through upwork, you dont have the 40 min limit either.

I had some very very qualified people give quotes, but most of them were in the 30-35 per hour range. I decided to be slightly cheap, but the person i picked did have great reviews so i was fine just giving it a trial.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 7 users
Upwork.com is a website where you can outsource tasks. There are plenty of talented, educated people on the other side of the world willing to do tasks for a better price point.

I personally felt that i needed help with two things: to be present in the moment - so when I’m with my daughter, I’m not watching tv or on my phone or watching the stock market - i need to be present and engaged and need help with realigning priorities. My home work for the week is to actually monitor and calculate the exact hours I’m spending on things like my phone and tv etc.

Next i need help with burn out. It’s no secret I’m burned out. Just look at my posts hahah. I think i need work on mindset, i am in a very very very blessed position, 34 year old, millionaire, making good money, financially stable, no major family health issues. Yet i can’t find 100 percent satisfaction and feel very burned out professionally. I need someone to reframe my thought process and be a constant reminder that life is actually pretty amazing.

So i wanted a coach. I don’t need a career coach, I’ve gotten my success professionally already. I needed a life coach. So instead of paying 5-10k a year, i went to upwork, posted a job, invited a lot of candidates who i felt would be a good fit, waited 24-48 hrs, had a pool of 30 bids on my project, then had a couple of conversations and eventually decided to work with a serbian woman who is finishing her phd in clinical psychology and has a masters in clinical psychology. I pay her $20/hr. We are doing weekly sessions. The upwork software has an area intheir messages section where you can create a zoom link - the zoom link automatically reports back to upwork the exact amount of time, and you get charged for it. If you use the zoom link through upwork, you dont have the 40 min limit either.

I had some very very qualified people give quotes, but most of them were in the 30-35 per hour range. I decided to be slightly cheap, but the person i picked did have great reviews so i was fine just giving it a trial.

Hope this helps.

This is amazingly helpful and I also really appreciate the Upwork hack!

It sounds like you had two specific things you really wanted to work on, and just need some (not very expensive) motivation, which seems like the perfect situation for a coach. You also realized they were solvable (and they probably are, in reality, solvable), also key to coaching.

Thanks for the info- it really helps explain why coaching (and therapy) are a waste for me, better to save my money. Thank you for sharing.

I've heard of him screaming at residents and making them cry.

Motivation, I guess?

• Wow

Hope this helps.

I think this reinforces the idea that, despite the money we make, the trauma we experience on shift from admin, patients, nurses, etc, carries forward, and maybe even compounds as time goes on.

The only way around this probably is to reduce exposure.

Sinai to Stony Brook to NUMC lol

I think its obvious he doesn't play nice

• Hmm
So, looking, he was at Mt Sinai after residency and fellowship, for about 10 years. Then, about 8 years ago, went to Stony Brook. A little over a year ago, moved to NUMC - which is a Mt Sinai affiliate. Also, LinkedIn has him working at Elmhurst for this whole time. Suggesting anything unseemly is frank conjecture, and has no basis in fact, vice if someone is there, directly. Looks a LOT more like how people move in academia.

So, looking, he was at Mt Sinai after residency and fellowship, for about 10 years. Then, about 8 years ago, went to Stony Brook. A little over a year ago, moved to NUMC - which is a Mt Sinai affiliate. Also, LinkedIn has him working at Elmhurst for this whole time. Suggesting anything unseemly is frank conjecture, and has no basis in fact, vice if someone is there, directly. Looks a LOT more like how people move in academia.
He’s switched jobs way less than the average EP.

Yup probably moved for more money, or protected time etc. Given how many hospitals are in close proximity in NYC that would seem to be the easiest city to move around job wise.

Was this physician-specific? What did you learn/accomplish?
It was physician leader specific.

Lots of work on change management, leadership skills, executive management.

I saw it as a door unlocker.

How do I…?
Where should I …?

Etc…

They help guide you to finding the answers along with steps to take to accomplish a goal you share to them

It was physician leader specific.

Lots of work on change management, leadership skills, executive management.

I saw it as a door unlocker.

How do I…?
Where should I …?

Etc…

They help guide you to finding the answers along with steps to take to accomplish a goal you share to them
Which doors, generally, were you trying to unlock? Achieving partnership in your group? Becoming Hospital CMO? Getting your group bought out by a bigger group?

Is this basically hiring someone to be your professional mentor? That is, where someone else might have their uncle tell them about their path to becoming a hospital executive, you lacked the connections and paid someone for the privilege?

Which doors, generally, were you trying to unlock? Achieving partnership in your group? Becoming Hospital CMO? Getting your group bought out by a bigger group?

Is this basically hiring someone to be your professional mentor? That is, where someone else might have their uncle tell them about their path to becoming a hospital executive, you lacked the connections and paid someone for the privilege?
Yes, basically that is it. You pay somebody who has been successful to mentor you and guide you through.

I used it for a non clinical executive role

I hired a physician coach (i.e, she's a physician and coaches physicians) one for an hour. Charged way too much to tell me generic advice.

Why did he leave Stony Brook for NUMC? There must be some scoop there....

I did not know he made this jump. This is *hysterical* considering I did my TRI at NUMC and that is not a place I would have ever imagined him in a million years even with their residency. That's not a critique on him at all, thats just me finding it super amusing because that place was the opposite of academic (the ER, not the rest of the hospital) just a year or two before the residency started.

I actually know 1 or 2 people who work there now and are amazing people - so maybe I'm not giving NUMC enough credit since the residency started.

I did not know he made this jump. This is *hysterical* considering I did my TRI at NUMC and that is not a place I would have ever imagined him in a million years even with their residency. That's not a critique on him at all, thats just me finding it super amusing because that place was the opposite of academic (the ER, not the rest of the hospital) just a year or two before the residency started.

I actually know 1 or 2 people who work there now and are amazing people - so maybe I'm not giving NUMC enough credit since the residency started.

I knew a couple of cool docs at NUMC, but I'm curious what the attraction was for Weingart; it's not a big research place, it's not prestigious or large, I doubt if it pays well, there's not much research ASFAIK; it's not in a particularly desirable location, it's unlikely to be a stepping stone to anything else...mysterious, to say the least.

Last edited:
I knew a couple of cool docs at NUMC, but I'm curious what the attraction was for Weingart; it's not a big research place, it's not a prestigious or large, I doubt if it pays well, there's not much research ASFAIK; it's not in a particularly desirable location, it's unlikely to be a stepping stone to anything else...mysterious, to say the least.

Maybe he just bought a house in East Meadow? Or perhaps he really *REALLY* likes the Islanders and we all just never knew?

• Haha
Too expensive.

I did a few prelim meetings with a physician focused “life coach” once.

Once we got down to pricing, she told me it would cost $2000 a month. I hung up the phone once I got done choking and laughing.

I’m glad some of these “coaches” out there are reasonable people, because some appear to be shysters. Also, in my case I really didn’t need a “coach” to help me handle an abusive, malignant fellowship in which I was becoming completely burned out - I just needed to graduate from that crap and get on with my life at a job where I had control over things. The vast majority of my “problems” evaporated at that point.

One of our OB Hospitalists is a “physician coach”. While she has her moments, most of the time she’s a miserable, passive aggressive POS. We laugh at her side career constantly.

Reactions: 4 users
I did a few prelim meetings with a physician focused “life coach” once.

Once we got down to pricing, she told me it would cost $2000 a month. I hung up the phone once I got done choking and laughing.

I’m glad some of these “coaches” out there are reasonable people, because some appear to be shysters. Also, in my case I really didn’t need a “coach” to help me handle an abusive, malignant fellowship in which I was becoming completely burned out - I just needed to graduate from that crap and get on with my life at a job where I had control over things. The vast majority of my “problems” evaporated at that point.

LOL!

I feel like life coaching and to some degree therapy are simply scams. Like, if I go to PT I expect to feel better within a few sessions, if I hire a tennis or ski pro I expect my game to improve fairly quickly. But there seems to be no expectation of improvement with a life coach or therapist. It's just, give me money and you need to work harder.

Waste, bordering on a scam.

• Haha