Physician dispensing in Texas

Started by BenJammin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BenJammin

No Apologies
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Texas State Board of Pharmacy voted 6-4 yesterday to begin the process of writing rules for physician dispensing of certain pharmaceuticals. This comes a year after Rick Perry vetoed a bill allowing them to do what the TSBP is proposing. I don't see how this protects the public at all and I hope this gets struck down.
 
Texas State Board of Pharmacy voted 6-4 yesterday to begin the process of writing rules for physician dispensing of certain pharmaceuticals. This comes a year after Rick Perry vetoed a bill allowing them to do what the TSBP is proposing. I don't see how this protects the public at all and I hope this gets struck down.

Physicians can't dispense in TX? Interesting. (physicians in IL can dispense, although most don't, other than samples, because they don't want to deal with the legal requirements, insurance billing, etc.) If the measure has already been voted down as recently as a year ago, I don't understand why your BOP would want to change that. Is it the doctors pushing for this? I can't imagine it would be that popular (at least its not in IL)
 
Can the governor veto a TSBP rule? Who regulates the TSBP? If I am not mistaken, this rule only applies to a small subset of drugs, i.e. cosmetic products such as Latisse and hydroquinone.