physician fee structure for meeting with lawyer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

promethius

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the going rates are for a physician to charge for meeting with a lawyer to discuss patient/client. Does it matter if the case is worker's compensation versus personal injury? Are the fees different for in-person versus over-the-phone? Any input on what is reasonable would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering what the going rates are for a physician to charge for meeting with a lawyer to discuss patient/client. Does it matter if the case is worker's compensation versus personal injury? Are the fees different for in-person versus over-the-phone? Any input on what is reasonable would be much appreciated.
First question is do you want to do this work? Like do you want to have this lawyer work with you again or do you like doing non medico legal work? Because that will determine how you treat and bill this lawyer

I currently charge $600/hr for meeting or call. $300 min. charge as a base fee. Include prep time to review chart. Doesn't matter type of case, as the atty is getting paid for the meeting just the same. Scheduled when check clears. These often lead to report or documentation, which is separate fee, same parameters. I prefer a call usually, but you may discount or charge more to influence your preferred medium. These calls usually take me 10 min over lunch and don't really cost me much in terms of altering my day.

Season matters, as it's more expensive to get on my schedule this time of year because we're busier. Likewise I may charge a bit less for a written report this time of year, as I do them while watching football on Saturdays. I charge more in the summer because doing the report will take me away from being outside. All that to say, charge based on how you value your time, other opportunity cost, PIA factor.

Aside: Double check your employer status on handling this. If this fee gets cut with your regular overhead or if the fee just goes to your employer, your motivation to do them may be quite different. I was able to negotiate 100% "pass thru" reimbursement for all my medicolegal work. (Employer tacks entire amount of collected fees onto my next month's paycheck) I'm looking into whether it is worthwhile to set this up as a separate 1099 gig for tax purposes (if they would go for it.)

Reactions: 1 user