Physician Letter requirement for D.O. school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aloe paleo

Reaction score
I have a letter from an M.D. but it wasn't from shadowing but from doing research for her. Is this letter acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a letter from an M.D. but it wasn't from shadowing but from doing research for her. Is this letter acceptable?

Most DO schools take an MD LOR. Some don't. Look at the specific requirements for any school you are thinking of applying to. I have an MD LOR from a physician that I work for. It's not a problem

Well would any of you say that a DO LOR is going to be better on the application or are they viewed equal to a MD LOR?

Anyone have experience with this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well would any of you say that a DO LOR is going to be better on the application or are they viewed equal to a MD LOR?

Anyone have experience with this?

I've read on the forums previously that the MD letter won't hurt, but the DO letter might get bonus points.

Reactions: 1 users
That's fine
How about a letter from an M.D. but it wasn't from shadowing and it wasn't from doing research, but she was the science professor. Is this letter acceptable? Also have an extra regular science LOR.

Still fine
Goro how likely is it for a Canadian DO to end up practicing in Canada? What is the best resource where I can find info about the process? I actually just asked a current DO student who is a Canadian and they were not entirely sure themselves.

Goro how likely is it for a Canadian DO to end up practicing in Canada? What is the best resource where I can find info about the process? I actually just asked a current DO student who is a Canadian and they were not entirely sure themselves.

It's in your hands, you shouldn't have too many issues but you should aim for a US residency given the difficulty you may have matching to Canada. Contact COMSA for more info, they also have a wealth of knowledge on some facebook groups if you need more information.

It's in your hands, you shouldn't have too many issues but you should aim for a US residency given the difficulty you may have matching to Canada. Contact COMSA for more info, they also have a wealth of knowledge on some facebook groups if you need more information.
Wow you have been super helpful! Thanks