Physician opinion on Leapfrog's new 12% episiotomy rate.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you agree with Leapfrog's 12% episiotomy guideline?

• Yes, but I personally perform more than 12%.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, and I perform more than 12%.

• Yes, and I perform less than 12%.

• No, but I personally perform less than 12%.

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

falabra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MSIII in my ob/gyn rotation and my group and I are preparing a presentation for grand rounds on episiotomies. We are especially centering it around Leapfrog's new 12% episiotomy guideline. I am polling obstetricians for their opinion on this new rate and would appreciate your input as well.

If you can, please state your opinion and whether you are at a private or public facility. Thanks so much for adding your opinion to this!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of LeapFrog recommendations, it doesn't sound very official. It sounds like yet another BS metric that is constantly being measured and has absolutely no basis in reality made up by some bureaucrat. Probably extracted from the EMR via CPT/ICD codes by a coding expert who has no medical training. Should a physician be financially punished because their episiotomy rate is 13%? What if they have a low c/s rate?

That being said, my episiotomy rate is about 9-10%.

On multiple occasions I have had patient's requesting episiotomies because in their anecdotal experience they heal better.