Work-life balance from medschool to physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eun-Sol

Reaction score
Hi! I am not sure if Im on wrong thread for this post, but I would love to hear from current physician, residents, and students!

I just want to get a feel of how difficult is the med school and residency. I guess what Im trying to find out is: “is it possible to go through med school, residency with kid?”

I have 5 month old baby right now and will probably apply for next next cycle. Of course Im just talking in the best case scenario - getting into med school on same cycle. If I do, my baby will be around 2-3yrs old. By the time Im done with school, she will be 6-7yrs old. And end of residency, she will be around 10-11yrs old. Again, Im just talking from best case scenario.

Throughout the journey, I want to be able to have some bonding time (at least 1-2 hrs) with my baby and be able spend a day with her during weekend. Will that be possible while Im in medical school and during residency?

I want to pursue obgyn for the residency. I heard residency is vary by speciality. So My top choice is OBGYN.

I want to be able to hear many perspectives. Any input would be extremely helpful.

Thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am not sure if Im on wrong thread for this post, but I would love to hear from current physician, residents, and students!

I just want to get a feel of how difficult is the med school and residency. I guess what Im trying to find out is: “is it possible to go through med school, residency with kid?”

I have 5 month old baby right now and will probably apply for next next cycle. Of course Im just talking in the best case scenario - getting into med school on same cycle. If I do, my baby will be around 2-3yrs old. By the time Im done with school, she will be 6-7yrs old. And end of residency, she will be around 10-11yrs old. Again, Im just talking from best case scenario.

Throughout the journey, I want to be able to have some bonding time (at least 1-2 hrs) with my baby and be able spend a day with her during weekend. Will that be possible while Im in medical school and during residency?

I want to pursue obgyn for the residency. I heard residency is vary by speciality. So My top choice is OBGYN.

I want to be able to hear many perspectives. Any input would be extremely helpful.

Thank you in advance!!

It is possible to have children and go through medical school and residency.

It isn't easy and it will be a strain but it is possible.

You will have time during medical school to spend with your child.

Also during residency but it will vary with your rotation and the demands placed on you.

Main thing is being with your child(ren) once you're out in practice.

You can tailor your practice but obstetrics is physically demanding. The days of solo practice are much less common. Mainly group situations with defined call hours.

Thank you in advance!!
🤣

Thank you in advance!!
We had 2 kids in med school and I'm starting Ob/gyn residency next week. I can say that the med school portion is very doable, just have to be efficient with your time and everything works out well.

Reactions: 1 user